Speculation: Good news/bad news: 2020-21 Salary cap going up...or down

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The BOG projected an 84.5m cap back in September and those early predictions are usually accurate. December-April they start announcing pie in the sky numbers.

Like Mouser said I'm anticipating 84.5-85.5m.

I think as long as certain markets don't struggle or miss the playoffs.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah. About that salary cap...

It has to come down now, right? With a compliance buy out(or two)?

I believe it would be an extreme extenuating circumstances. I couldn't see it go down but it could stay. Possibly with a compliance buyout but I don't know that Vegas has one they would like to offer?

Could they allow teams to sign players to two deals or something? If the first deal is a one year deal? So, Vegas signs Lehner to a one year, 4M deal and a 5 year 6M deal on the same day? Or the next day, instead of after the trade deadline?

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I believe it would be an extreme extenuating circumstances. I couldn't see it go down but it could stay. Possibly with a compliance buyout but I don't know that Vegas has one they would like to offer?

Could they allow teams to sign players to two deals or something? If the first deal is a one year deal? So, Vegas signs Lehner to a one year, 4M deal and a 5 year 6M deal on the same day? Or the next day, instead of after the trade deadline?
The current CBA allows you to negotiate an extension during the last year of a multi year deal or on Jan. 1 of a one year contract. I don't see them changing that.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The current CBA allows you to negotiate an extension during the last year of a multi year deal or on Jan. 1 of a one year contract. I don't see them changing that.

I didn't mean permanently, this one off extreme circumstances season if they do have to finagle a cap.

Or buyouts would be the way to go. Still can't see them lowering the cap more than keeping it the same.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Per LeBrun and/or Mirtle on the Athletic (unlocked), the league and union can determine to set 20-21 cap regardless of relationship to HRR.

My guess is that they'll set it ~$84m, at the low end of the estimated cap for next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad