GDT: Good Guys v. Actual Devils (10/5)(7:00 PM)

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I don't disagree, but I feel Ralph is smart enough to counteract.

So do I. He strikes me as a guy how is always 1 or more steps ahead of his competition and likely already has a plan for what's going to happen when opponents do finally start to pick up what the Sabres are doing.

Take goaltenders for instance. They have a "book" (old school term...archive, film bank, etc..) on shooters they face. They know what's likely coming their way from various top scorers in the league.

What usually befuddles them is the new player for whom they aren't prepared. In the Sabres case, it's VO. (Not sure it'll help them if they actually are prepared for him but I digress...)

Real talent shows through when they know what a player is going to do beforehand and they still can't stop them. Sam's goal tonight reminded me of that.

Reactions: jd1970

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
In his current situation, Olofsson could be looking at 60-70.

50 pts is what your average player would get playing with Jack and Sam + PP1 min.

I think we have seen enough average players next to Jack to know thats not true.

Fortunately Olofsson doesn't look average to me. 50 points is a strong season for in theory the 4th or 5th best forward on the roster.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I think we have seen enough average players next to Jack to know thats not true.

Fortunately Olofsson doesn't look average to me. 50 points is a strong season for in theory the 4th or 5th best forward on the roster.

To be fair the two seasons he was injured would affect that outcome, this years Eichel isn't the same either.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Where did this Olofsson kid come from? He's been great for you guys the past two games.

Sweden.

For real, he was a 7th round draft pick in 2014. He was listed as 5'7" and under 160lbs, so I doubt many teams even bothered to really scout him, but his listed stats were wrong. (At his first Sabres prospect camp, he weighed in at 5'11", 177lbs.) He also wasn't getting many playing opportunities back then. I think MODO was only using him on the PP and keeping him on the bench the rest of the game. Since then, he developed into the SHL's top goal-scorer before coming over to this side of the pond. Then he scored 30G for the Amerks while rounding out other parts of his game (being used on the PK, late in the game defending a lead, etc.). And now here he is.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
To be fair the two seasons he was injured would affect that outcome, this years Eichel isn't the same either.

What level Eichel is on this year or not is still a way out from here.

But even his last three years, name me the average guy who was on pace to be a 50 point player with Eichel who was average.

It's something widely discussed, lifting teammates, but to really turn up a 20-30 point guy to 50-60, requires enormous talent and non-stop effort.

Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid and arguably Thornton in their primes are the only guys I have seen be able to do it unquestionably for even a year or two in the last 15.

Maybe Eich takes a huge leap. But that would be a huge leap for him to get to. Like a 30 point improvement on last year.

I certainly hope he does it, it's just a lot to ask.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
What level Eichel is on this year or not is still a way out from here.

But even his last three years, name me the average guy who was on pace to be a 50 point player with Eichel who was average.

It's something widely discussed, lifting teammates, but to really turn up a 20-30 point guy to 50-60, requires enormous talent and non-stop effort.

Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid and arguably Thornton in their primes are the only guys I have seen be able to do it unquestionably for even a year or two in the last 15.

Maybe Eich takes a huge leap. But that would be a huge leap for him to get to. Like a 30 point improvement on last year.

I certainly hope he does it, it's just a lot to ask.

If Eichel is going around scoring 112 pts, then 50 is low for his line mate.

How many have played enough time on his wing? He missed time his 2nd/3rd year and hasn't had many consistent lines.

I thought he has made everyone he play with look better.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
If Eichel is going around scoring 112 pts, then 50 is low for his line mate.

How many have played enough time on his wing? He missed time his 2nd/3rd year and hasn't had many consistent lines.

I thought he has made everyone he play with look better.
Who said he's going to score 112 points? That's really unlikely to happen, especially if scoring keeps being distributed around the lineup like it has been. 100 points and a sound defensive game would be amazing.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Who said he's going to score 112 points? That's really unlikely to happen, especially if scoring keeps being distributed around the lineup like it has been. 100 points and a sound defensive game would be amazing.

The guy I quoted, as the benchmark for Jack to make Olofsson a 50 - 60 point player i think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad