Good Guy Crosby

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/im-with-the-bandwagon-sens-live-to-fight-another-day

The crowd at Wednesday night’s Senators victory gave Russell’s Jonathan Pitre a standing ovation when his image flashed on the scoreboard. Pitre, 14, usually wears a Sens sweater to the game, but on Wednesday he was decked out in a spiffy suit and tie — a gift from Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby.

A big hockey fan, the Grade 9 student suffers from Epidermolysis bullosa (EB), a painful and disfiguring skin disease. After his interest in becoming a sportscaster or hockey scout was reported in a Citizen profile by Andrew Duffy, the Senators signed him to a ceremonial one-day scouting contract last November and invited him to watch a game with team executives.

Pitre’s mother, Tina Boileau, said she was contacted last week by Jim Britt, manager of team operations for the Penguins. He told her Crosby had been following Jonathan’s story and wanted to have a suit tailored for him so that he could walk into the rink, just like an NHL player, in the kind of business suit that would make Don Cherry proud. Boileau took her son’s measurements and sent them to Crosby’s favourite tailor in Montreal.

Sorry if it was already posted but what a nice thing for crosby to do. Didnt want any recognition either

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
A lot of respect for Crosby. Despite the whining and cheap shots of his younger days, he's a good guy overall.
He's becoming a wiser man every year.

cage

Apr 25, 2004
The kid looked good in that suit. And the rich don't have an obligation to use the money they earned to help others. It makes for nice stories but I certainly don't demand it from them

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
The kid looked good in that suit. And the rich don't have an obligation to use the money they earned to help others. It makes for nice stories but I certainly don't demand it from them

Also, it's not like this is the only charitable thing he's done. He has his own charitable foundation ffs

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
TSN did a special on Jonathan if anyone wants to see it (It's difficult to watch but well worth it in my mind):

http://theyoutubebuzz.com/site/tsn-story-about-the-butterfly-child-attracts-millions-of-viewers/

Everyone's entitled to their opinion so I will give mine. Cut Ace some slack. Sid isn't one to seek out publicity for these sorts of things and it is understandable that Ace might not know what all Sid does.

Often times people will not boast about helping people because they don't want to hurt the persons pride.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
On a related note about Sid and his charity, I went to a local cancer benefit last weekend and was thumbing through the program.
As I'm reading the names of everyone who donated to it, what name do I see?
Sidney Crosby.
I asked and confirmed that it was indeed him.
Thought it was strange to see his name there, as this is a benefit in Strathroy, Ont., not a place I'm aware he has any tie too.

Respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

surdle

Sep 28, 2010
Ontario
Isn't world vision keeping like 95c on the dollar of what you give? Might want to rethink it.

To answer your question, yes I would like to see your receipts.

World Vision only uses 15% for non charity use. They are the 2nd or 3rd best charity. Salvation Army is number 1,.nothing is kept.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Great story, great guy. To the person who says he should have done more...how the heck do you know what all he does? He could donate millions to causes and he may elect not to tell you about it.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not surprised. Crosby is a perfectly good guy. A large number of people on this site (and other fans) just like to think they know everything about a player and their personal life and make erroneous assertions about it, given what they observe on the ice.

Scrambllllle

Sep 25, 2008
I was at that game and the whole arena, Sens and Habs fans, gave the kid a standing ovation. It was really great to see.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Look, I think most of us can all agree that Sid may not be the model sportsman on the ice.

But everything I have ever heard about Sid, indicates that off the ice, has a good heard, and a genuine good guy. And honestly, thats the most important thing.

Good on you Sid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad