Good Bye Lake Erie...Hello Cleveland Monsters

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I know that and I can promise you that the operations of both teams are completely separate entities, having nothing to do with each other except a common owner.

The Monsters distanced themselves from the name cleveland from day 1....WHY???
And WHY is their 3rd jersey a complete rip off of the cavs colors, if not because they are piggybacking on the cavs winning??? Especially since their primary colors are that of the parent Blue Jackets....Same guy own them also????? Except of course they are also changing their colors to mimic the cavs also...
And now WHY go back and call them Cleveland??? For the reasons I named...they are piggybacking on the cavs success and that's all it is...ask the common sports fan who won the Calder cup and they have no freakin clue...ask that same person who won the NBA title and I can promise you they know the cavs won.

There is cross-promotion between the two and they are part of the same corporate entity, so the move to the Cavs colors is probably part of a larger promotional strategy for the Monsters.

Also, they have always used a Cavs color (the wine in uniforms was always the Cavs' shade and not the burgundy worn by the Avs).

Yes, the operations of the Monsters/Gladiators (arena football) are largely separate from those of the Cavs. but there are a couple of layers of common upper management below the ownership level.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Cleveland Monsters just doesn't sound right. I say change the name of the team to something other then the Monsters or Barons

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
There is cross-promotion between the two and they are part of the same corporate entity, so the move to the Cavs colors is probably part of a larger promotional strategy for the Monsters.

Also, they have always used a Cavs color (the wine in uniforms was always the Cavs' shade and not the burgundy worn by the Avs).

Yes, the operations of the Monsters/Gladiators (arena football) are largely separate from those of the Cavs. but there are a couple of layers of common upper management below the ownership level.

Jackets.....I understand that and believe what you say 100%....BUT the pink elephant in the room says that there is no "rational" thinking person around who believes that this whole name and color change is anything but an attempt to cash in on the cavs success. Otherwise Why Now??? Especially if it's "been in the works for years now" as alluded to on here by someone who read the article.

We all know why....what better time then now to cash in on the feel good cleveland has finally won something vibe. Using the cavs C logo on the sweaters is a nice touch huh...

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Also included in the mix is The NBA D-League Canton Charge.

They're an interesting case. They gave more common upper management with the Cavs than the Monsters/Gladiators do, IIRC, but the operations are even more distinct from the Cavs. A few examples:

They use a different ticketing company (Gilbert doesn't control the Canton Civic Center, which has a contract with Ticketmaster, rather than Gilbert's Veritix).

I have half season tickets to the Monsters and full season tickets for the Gladiators. My season ticket merch discount at the Q includes Cavs stuff but does not extend to the Civic Center.

The game programs for the three Q teams are very similar in design and have similar names (Tipoff Tonight, Faceoff, and Kickoff - there's a story behind the "Tonight" in the Cavs program name, but it's long and not particularly interesting) while the Charge have a roster sheet and even when there was a bigger program, it had a very different name (Charged Up!, IIRC).

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
They should've changed the team's name to Lake Monsters while they were at it.

Maybe, but the New York Penn League's Vermont Lake Monsters might have raised a stink for a couple of reasons: 1. the overlapping nickname and 2. the logos are similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00