Good Bye Lake Erie...Hello Cleveland Monsters

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yeah - if you're going to go with Cleveland you should probably change the name to Barons as there's serious AHL history with that name.

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
Yeah - if you're going to go with Cleveland you should probably change the name to Barons as there's serious AHL history with that name.
Most of it negative. Three failed professional franchises with that name in Cleveland. The Sharks took care of napalming that bridge.

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
Before that. Well before that.

Try this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Barons_(1937–73)

I don't know who you think you are to ever try to tell me anything about Cleveland hockey history. I'm at every game, have been for the last 24 plus years, I grew up here, I know how damaged that name is here. The only people who are clambering for it are idiots who don't know their rectums from a hole in the ground, or people who are so old that they risk breaking their hip when they soil their Depends.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
After winning the Calder Cup, the Monsters decide to change names? I'm questioning the decision. Either name is good, though I'm partial with the "Lake Erie" name.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I don't know who you think you are to ever try to tell me anything about Cleveland hockey history. I'm at every game, have been for the last 24 plus years, I grew up here, I know how damaged that name is here. The only people who are clambering for it are idiots who don't know their rectums from a hole in the ground, or people who are so old that they risk breaking their hip when they soil their Depends.

You're obviously having a bad day and need a bottle and some sleep so I'll leave this for now.

Timl2009

Apr 21, 2006
Canton, Ohio

Uh-I cant afford season tickets, nor have the time to be at every game. That doesn't make me any less of a fan or "historian"..Ive been a follower of Cleveland Hockey since 1968 and the Old Barons..Ive studied the history as much as anyone..AND I grew up in Northeast Ohio..I still think marketed right, The Barons would have done well..I am glad CLEVELAND is back on the uniforms as it should be.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Agreed, the original Barons were hardly a failure.

The Barons logo on the CBJ alts (which look a bit like Baron throwbacks from the upper deck) would be an awesome uniform.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
This might be a move on the part of the Jackets to fully claim the Cleveland market for themselves and drive out any influence the Pens have on it (no Clevelander who also roots for the Browns, which I don't anymore BTW, should in their right mind root for ANY Pittsburgh team, and that includes Crosby and Co.)

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
This move is totally to jump on the back of the cavs and "admit" they play in cleveland. Funny how cleveland hadn't won anything in forever and the monsters chose to distance themselves from the city when they first regained AHL hockey. Now Cleveland is the "cool" thing to be and so they are piggybacking on the cavs success, since their own party lasted all of about 2 days.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
This move is totally to jump on the back of the cavs and "admit" they play in cleveland. Funny how cleveland hadn't won anything in forever and the monsters chose to distance themselves from the city when they first regained AHL hockey. Now Cleveland is the "cool" thing to be and so they are piggybacking on the cavs success, since their own party lasted all of about 2 days.

Uhh the Monsters and Cavs have the same owners so none of these rambles make sense.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

I hated the lake erie name but think it was a good move at the time. And I agree that hooking onto the Cleveland name now. About time Cleveland won something!!

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
After winning the Calder Cup, the Monsters decide to change names? I'm questioning the decision. Either name is good, though I'm partial with the "Lake Erie" name.
This wasn't a recent decision. They had to submit to the AHL for approval back in October. It was happening this season no matter what.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Uhh the Monsters and Cavs have the same owners so none of these rambles make sense.

I know that and I can promise you that the operations of both teams are completely separate entities, having nothing to do with each other except a common owner.

The Monsters distanced themselves from the name cleveland from day 1....WHY???
And WHY is their 3rd jersey a complete rip off of the cavs colors, if not because they are piggybacking on the cavs winning??? Especially since their primary colors are that of the parent Blue Jackets....Same guy own them also????? Except of course they are also changing their colors to mimic the cavs also...
And now WHY go back and call them Cleveland??? For the reasons I named...they are piggybacking on the cavs success and that's all it is...ask the common sports fan who won the Calder cup and they have no freakin clue...ask that same person who won the NBA title and I can promise you they know the cavs won.

Last edited:

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
Now OKC is gone should have doubled down on the rebrand and grab the Barons moniker.

Casual fans usually had no idea where Lake Erie played whenever I talked to them, so like Atlanta it's a step in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad