Confirmed with Link: Gomez fined for elbow on Emelin, no suspension.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
Not surprised.

He's not a recidivist.

Was not a blindside.

Was an elbow to the head BUT Emelin did not sustain injury and returned almost immediately to play.

Gomez was penalized with a 5 + game (will be seen as sufficient discipline).

I'm not saying I'm agreeing with the thing though, just saying I'm not surprised at all at the 0 game suspension.

The NHL, a league where you penalize the end result, not the dangerosity of the actual play... :handclap::sarcasm::handclap:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Really can't believe it. CLEARLY move made from retaliation. CLEARLY aim at the head. What more do you you freakin want?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Not surprising.

The NHL always punished the result and never the intent.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Not surprising.

The NHL always punished the result and never the intent.

I've always found this funny. Could you imagine if the real world worked like that. "Well you did try to shoot him in the face......but you missed, there was no injuries.....you've never shot anyone else before.......sooooo a hundred dollar fine and your gtg" :laugh:

That being said I'm ok with this.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
While Emelin drew blood I gaurantee he embellished a bit and that was the reason for no suspension

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
While Emelin drew blood I gaurantee he embellished a bit and that was the reason for no suspension

He most definitely did not.

He unexpectedly receives an elbow in the chicklets. Near the nose too.

He hasn't braced at all for the hit. The surprise makes him drop more than the force of the impact. But it's definitely not embellishment.

Let's not try to hold our players to inhumane standards. Pain shoots through the nervous system for them, as for everybody.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
He most definitely did not.

He unexpectedly receives an elbow in the chicklets. Near the nose too.

He hasn't braced at all for the hit. The surprise makes him drop more than the force of the impact. But it's definitely not embellishment.

Let's not try to hold our players to inhumane standards. Pain shoots through the nervous system for them, as for everybody.

Not to mention he is kinda working with a reconstructed face....

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
I've always found this funny. Could you imagine if the real world worked like that. "Well you did try to shoot him in the face......but you missed, there was no injuries.....you've never shot anyone else before.......sooooo a hundred dollar fine and your gtg" :laugh:

Um, the real world does work like that? You'll get a longer sentence if you kill someone or hurt them badly than if you don't...

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
Um, the real world does work like that? You'll get a longer sentence if you kill someone or hurt them badly than if you don't...

Hmmm.

Unvoluntary manslaughter can, in certain cases, earn you way less jail time than, say, attempted murder with premeditation.

But in general I do agree the result of your actions will have an effect on your time, all other things being equal.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Embellished!!!...he just received a hard piece of plastic in the teeth that drew blood. When you see an elbow coming for your mouth unexpectedly..you're gonna flinch! When it hits you square in the teeth and your mouth turns red, you're keeling over or your dropping, you've obviously never been suckered in the face or you'd know this.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

REALLY? Thanks for chiming in Don Cherry...Hey kids look at this diving russian piece of crap, what a useless player he is, you know those russians always embellishing, but yeah kids you probably shouldn't elbow someone, even a lazy no good embellishing commie.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

Someone taking John Shannon a little too seriously I think. This just shows to me that the NHL's stance on shots to the head is a farce, window dressing to make it look like they give a **** about players safety. If he dropped Drew Doughty, he'd be suspended.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Meh, there is no way a serious injury would have resulted from that elbow.

Was it cheap? Yes
Was it intent to injure? No. He just wanted to send a message to Emelin for the dirty hit in the corner.

If any of you seriously thought what Emelin did to Gomez was okay you should revisit your stance on player safety.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
REALLY? Thanks for chiming in Don Cherry...Hey kids look at this diving russian piece of crap, what a useless player he is, you know those russians always embellishing, but yeah kids you probably shouldn't elbow someone, even a lazy no good embellishing commie.

It's more that he plays for the Habs. Aparently, everyone that plays for the Habs is a diving piece of crap

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

That being said I'm ok with this.

"Well you did try to murder a police officer but your premeditated plan failed, so I guess we can let you off the hook with a slap on the wrist" :laugh:

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

Emelin has a plate in his face. Wouldn't you jerk your head back if you caught an elbow in the mug.

I have to laugh a the commentators who can "clearly" tell if a play was embellished or not. Almost everyone flinches when an object or an elbow comes near their face.

On a slightly different matter. I think the whole embellishment thing is a joke that allows refs to target players they don't like and embarrass them. I would prefer that no call be made on either player if on a tripping play where the official feels the victim embellished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad