GDT: Golden Knights Rookies vs Kings Rookies Continued | 1:00 PM

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Hague has displayed some very questionable decision making and IQ so far. Will give him the benefit of the doubt considering the circumstances, but the guy has no idea when to pinch, and who to cover. I will say on a positive note, even being a beanpole, the guy can fly for being 6"6'.

I watched half of the second and all of the third....what number is Glass...? Didn't hear his name or see one play he made.

Add that to the summer WJC camp where he apparently underwhelmed and was invisible too.

Having never seen him in Portland, it's kind of troubling. But again, considering the circumstances I will give him a pass.

Best player from what I saw was Wong. I believe he is the oldest player so that's no surprise, but at least he was trying to do something unlike the rest of the team.

And who is Patera? He isn't one of the goalies Vegas drafted is he? Not aggrevise, and small to boot.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Well, that was fun.

I really need to get a roster for tomorrow, between looking for a way to watch the game and doing whatever it is I do here, I didn't get time to look.

Thompson was good in net from what I saw, Patera looked a little off. Tuch looked solid. Glass was missing.

i am papa bear

Dec 2, 2014
I hope they scour LA for someone who can work video equipment.
Surely someone around there must have some experience with that kind of tech

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's never over.

He was a factor. Nice tip in front, big hit, and a fight.

nice... IMO that acquisition by Vegas was brilliant. He is an extremely effective player and I think will be a good NHLer. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets in quite a few NHL games in next year

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Just got back from the game. Not gonna lie - there was a certain buzz going around and it was fun. Several people in the crowd with VGK hats, shirts, etc. I got to meet Steve Carp (he even gave me a brief interview during the 2nd intermission that I'll throw up on my blog later this month), as well as Dan Marrazza, who runs the VGK twitter feed (he was as funny and awesome as you could imagine). Lisa Dillman from the LA Times also interviewed ME to ask why I was a VGK fan - we'll see if my quotes turn up in her story. Passed Gallant in the hallway and got him to smile and say hello when he saw my Knights hat. Even met Pierre Turgeon, who was a player that I liked a lot back when I watched the Blues living in St. Louis.

During the 2nd intermission, I asked McPhee for an interview and he told me to stick around after the media scrum and he'd find me. Well, he did not - no biggie, as I didn't think my little blog would be worthy of a media credential.

Funny story: I did run into Reid Duke as he was leaving and he gave me a 90-second interview on video. Just as I finished, the VGK director of communications approached and very nicely told me that I was not allowed to post that video anywhere since I hadn't attained the proper credentials. He was very nice about it though, and even told me if I was going to come back tomorrow he'd take a look at my blog and find out if I could get a credential or not (I'm not holding my breath on that one). He also said I could transcribe the interview and post it in written form - just not the video.

But all in all, it was fun to witness history and see those jerseys on the ice for the first time. Obviously, the result was not to our liking but I still enjoyed myself. Can't wait for the real games!

Hyka scores early. Wish I could've seen it.

That goal drew a nice collective gasp from the audience. It was pretty. Hyka was one of the best Knights on the ice all night, but it makes sense due to him being older than everyone else.

Is Hague pronounced Hague or Hag?

I've been saying Hague, but the commentators can't decide.

I always thought it was Hague, but the Pronunciation Guide included on the roster they handed out says, "HAG - rhymes with flag". :)

Patera seems awfully soft

This was the general consensus of everyone around me. First game jitters, maybe? Thompson was outstanding though (again, he's also 2 years older than Patera).

I've been looking for him. He's basically bumbling out there. Honestly in a collection of observations of his play...I question if his stock was truly deserving of a 6th overall selection. He looks to be at least two more years away if not three.

He seems to be a smart and poised player but the execution of almost everything he does is underwhelming.

It's a stark contrast to a guy who seems to be a lock to at least be an effective player like Brannstrom. Even Suzuki inspires more confidence in the way he plays.

I watched half of the second and all of the third....what number is Glass...? Didn't hear his name or see one play he made.

Add that to the summer WJC camp where he apparently underwhelmed and was invisible too.

Having never seen him in Portland, it's kind of troubling. But again, considering the circumstances I will give him a pass.

Yeah, I was a little nervous about Glass considering his showing at the WJC showcase and what not, but he was pretty invisible out there. Had a couple of nice passes during the power play, but I didn't notice him much at all during 5v5. I know it's early, but 2 more years in Portland should hopefully work wonders for him.

how was Kolesar?

He was a factor. Nice tip in front, big hit, and a fight.

Yeah, he looked good. I'm sure he'll project out to simply be a bottom-6 depth forward, but we're going to need those.

Hague has displayed some very questionable decision making and IQ so far. Will give him the benefit of the doubt considering the circumstances, but the guy has no idea when to pinch, and who to cover. I will say on a positive note, even being a beanpole, the guy can fly for being 6"6'.

On the plus side, Hague has a cannon of a shot, and a great one-timer from the point. I was really surprised that they had him playing LD with Bischoff on the Right, since Hague played some RD in the OHL, and playing on his off-side really allows him to unleash that shot easier. I think he was probably nervous or trying too hard to make a difference, which might explain some of his decision-making.

Best player from what I saw was Wong. I believe he is the oldest player so that's no surprise, but at least he was trying to do something unlike the rest of the team.

Yeah, Wong did look good. Had a couple of breakaways, and got pulled down on one of them which resulted in a penalty shot. I shot video of it, but I don't know if you can tell - he looked a little tired, and Cal Petersen simply out-waited him and ate him up:

Wong also looked great on the PK - very strong on the puck for a smaller guy.

What about Suzuki?

He looked solid. Better than Glass, in fact. He didn't back down when the bigger Kings d-men were trying to push him around either. I assume he'll get two more years in Junior, but he could be a great piece on this team moving forward.

Final impressions:
- The top line of Wong-Duke-Tuch was as impressive as I'd hoped. They seemed to have developed some chemistry (Wong and Duke were teammates in the WHL, and Duke and Tuch worked together in Minnesota Wild training camps), and it was quite evident.
- The second line of Barre-Boulet-Glass-Hyka wasn't very noticeable, though Hyka showed great speed and got some good scoring chances.
- The third line of Bajkov-Suzuki-Kolesar played like a good second line. Would be nice to see Bajkov get a contract, even if it's AHL-only, since he's already done 4 years in junior and is eligible to play in the AHL this season.
- I was hoping to get a good look at Coghlan on defense, but he was average. Osipov is a large guy that was hitting anything that moved. We need RHD depth, so it'd be nice to see them eventually get contracts to play in our system.
- Logan Thompson may have earned himself a contract.

I doubt I go back tomorrow, since it's in the afternoon and I have to work - unless I miraculously manage to get a media credential. But like I said, it was a blast - I'm jealous of those of you in Vegas who will get to see training camp. :)

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

Northern Knights

Jan 8, 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad