Golden Knights name Mark Stone captain

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Its probably better that both Patches and Petro take a back seat. More fitting with their personalities and less pressure.

I agree. Especially Pacioretty. Never got the sense he was the highest quality captain material in Montreal and that was re-enforced when I got to know him better as a Knight. Doesn't surprise me at all that he had no interest in captaincy. I'm sure he still acts as a leader in the locker room out of habit but better to keep the pressure off of him.
This underrates what he meant to the team. Engelland absolutely was like a de facto captain the first few years, that's why they waited for him to retire to actually hand out the C rather than doing it last year.

In effect considering they waited for his retirement to name a real captain? Yes.

But I think there's a difference between a captain, de facto or otherwise and a figurehead for the team. Maybe he was leading team meetings in the locker room, maybe he wasn't. But he wasn't the guy to go talk to the refs when a captain was needed, he wasn't the guy getting orders to relay from Gallant, he didn't lead pre-faceoff huddles or have much to say during team taken timeouts, he certainly wasn't a good enough player or intense enough competitor to say he led by example. The idea that he would be the first to lift the cup if Vegas ever won it with him is more a matter of respect for the man and his wider history/legacy in Vegas than having him be the de facto leader of our team.

The Knights, prior to Stone's arrival (where he organically and unofficially took the mantle as the team's true leader) had a publicly stated and practically practiced policy of leadership by committee. Engo meant a lot of things to this team and the community of Las Vegas. But he was, in my estimation, never a true leader of the team.

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
Not going to lie, this franchise is a joke. Don’t get me wrong, they’re immensely talented. They’ve taken what was the best expansion team possible, and bastardized it by thinking they’re good enough to make poor/detrimental decisions for the franchise long term after 3 years lol. I love Pietrangelo, unfortunately he doesn’t even want to be there. This team will be a dumpster fire within two years.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Not going to lie, this franchise is a joke. Don’t get me wrong, they’re immensely talented. They’ve taken what was the best expansion team possible, and bastardized it by thinking they’re good enough to make poor/detrimental decisions for the franchise long term after 3 years lol. I love Pietrangelo, unfortunately he doesn’t even want to be there. This team will be a dumpster fire within two years.
Diff one of the dumbest posts I have read on here in quite sometime. Congrats ?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lol they said we'd be a dumpster fire on arrival. Which traded VGK player is your son?

Reactions: Leaves34

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
To the surprise of absolutely NO ONE in Ottawa.

Great player, great leader, just a terrific choice.
Hardcore hockey fan that I know here in Ottawa used to say that Stone was a low character guy because he "would celebrate too hard after a goal. I mean, c'mon....act like you've done it before."

Leafs fan.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
He should be the Captain of the Senators.

Jealous!

Congrats to him.
Nah, we've got our C in Karlsson. And when he's gone, Pageau is the ideal guy to take over, although maybe it's Zibanejad now that he's blossomed as a star..... ahhh, wait this is not fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad