Post-Game Talk: Golden Knights @ Caps, 8PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
You know the Caps are at the pinnacle of hockey in terms of having an opportunity to do something special and I'm still not enjoying it. That seems like a bad sign. I think the decades of sadness have made playoff hockey not fun anymore. I need to figure out a way to fix that.

This is something I really can't understand. This is the most fun I've ever had watching sports and has been since the Kuzy breakaway KO'd Pittsburgh. IveI just been enjoying the ride ever since.

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
You know the Caps are at the pinnacle of hockey in terms of having an opportunity to do something special and I'm still not enjoying it. That seems like a bad sign. I think the decades of sadness have made playoff hockey not fun anymore. I need to figure out a way to fix that.

Caps just need to win their first cup to get the pressure off; it's like getting laid for the first time.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
It’s a landslide for them right now.

Good to hear. I lived in Edmonton during the 2006 Cup run. It was an unreal experience. Edmonton is Oilers 24/7 365 days a year but the playoffs are another beast.

Good luck tonight! Would like you guys to win your 1st cup. Im not a big fan of Vegas winning a cup in their 1st year. Means you can buy one. I feel like I'm watching an episode of Harry Potter ffs when Vegas does their pre-game

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This is something I really can't understand. This is the most fun I've ever had watching sports and has been since the Kuzy breakaway KO'd Pittsburgh. IveI just been enjoying the ride ever since.
Yeah, I don't know how even the most jaded long-term fan can't watch the various behind the scenes clips and not soak in how special this group is and how special these moments are.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Anyone not enjoying this due to stress or PTSD or whatever needs to fix it fast. This may happen again next year or not for another 20 so enjoy it while it lasts. As someone who vaguely remembers the Redskins championships but was a pre-teen I can say this is the most fun I've ever had as a DC sports fan and it's not even remotely close.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
There's no one emotion or feeling for me watching these games. It is stressful and not nearly as fun when they're protecting a one goal lead, but most other situations are enjoyable. And the breakthrough moments are AMAZING. I was jumping around my living room after DSP's goal last game. Same with Bura's first goal in R2G7.

Being a Caps fan in the playoffs is like playing Dark Souls. A lot of the time it's hard, and sometimes it feels unfair. But the successes are indescribably satisfying.

And agreed with Langway the you can't not enjoy the off the ice stuff that goes with a deep run.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
There's no one emotion or feeling for me watching these games. It is stressful and not nearly as fun when they're protecting a one goal lead, but most other situations are enjoyable. And the breakthrough moments are AMAZING. I was jumping around my living room after DSP's goal last game. Same with Bura's first goal in R2G7.

Being a Caps fan in the playoffs is like playing Dark Souls. A lot of the time it's hard, and sometimes it feels unfair. But the successes are indescribably satisfying.

And agreed with Langway the you can't not enjoy the off the ice stuff that goes with a deep run.
R3G7:naughty:

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
NfFfwm5.gif

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
A championship run is a bucket list experience.

For all of us, yeah. But, true story for those who are somewhat new around Caps land...

Ted Leonsis was in a plane that nearly crashed in 1983. After surviving, he made a 101 Bucket List and on that list he included "Own a pro sports franchse" (basketball, hockey or football) and Win a World Championship. He also included far out things like Win an Emmy/Oscar/Gramy/Tony. He's done most of the things on his list already including winning an Emmy for his documentary/movie Nanking, but IMHO, winning a World Championship will be the hardest accomplishment on the list. He's almost there.

A true once in a lifetime experience for him and for all of us!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Anyone not enjoying this due to stress or PTSD or whatever needs to fix it fast. This may happen again next year or not for another 20 so enjoy it while it lasts. As someone who vaguely remembers the Redskins championships but was a pre-teen I can say this is the most fun I've ever had as a DC sports fan and it's not even remotely close.

This feels more like the Redskins 1982/83 first Super Bowl run to me - Unexpected, incredible, dominant. I was 15 so I remember it well enough - all the neighbors banging pots and pans outside the house after it was over. The other two Super Bowls simply felt like a right of spring every few years, until suddenly 25 years goes by in a blink and you never get another whiff.

Who the eff knows what next year or the next 25 or 44 years brings, but I'm enjoying this run more than anything I've ever seen in sports, with the possible exception of the real Miracle on Ice in 1980. Maybe its a tie :)

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
If Caps win the cup, I'm not sure there is anything left in sports to highlight in my life. I've watched the Steelers and Dodgers win championships, but it won't come close to the Caps winning it. The Caps have always been my favorite professional sports team and a long time dream to see them win it all.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think this is it. If/when they can win a championship I think I will be able to enjoy the game for what it is again. Sad, but true.
For me, the more I financially/mentally/emotionally invested in the Washington Capitals--which, I have to regularly remind myself, is one cog in a massive business owned by billionaires (and a game played by millionaire professionals)--the more the organization's losses became, like, my own personal losses. For a while, I tried to distance myself from the entire experience--which was made a little easier with every soul-crushing post-season loss. I've recently tried to re-evaluate what it means for me, personally, to be a fan of this team: What I put into it, what I get out of it, how much of that experience is a positive thing in my life (entertainment, exhilaration, the joy of a shared experience), and how much of it is a negative (stress, frustration, moodiness, obsessiveness, argumentativeness, etc.) I'm finally at a place where I can enjoy the successes but not be consumed by the losses. It took a while to get there, but it's been working for me.

This is just my own personal experience, and is not meant as advice for anyone else or any kind of judgement of other fans' experience.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
This feels more like the Redskins 1982/83 first Super Bowl run to me - Unexpected, incredible, dominant. I was 15 so I remember it well enough - all the neighbors banging pots and pans outside the house after it was over. The other two Super Bowls simply felt like a right of spring every few years, until suddenly 25 years goes by in a blink and you never get another whiff.

Who the eff knows what next year or the next 25 or 44 years brings, but I'm enjoying this run more than anything I've ever seen in sports, with the possible exception of the real Miracle on Ice in 1980. Maybe its a tie :)

That is a perfect example to use. I remember that frenzy.

Reactions: kicksavedave

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
For me, the more I financially/mentally/emotionally invested in the Washington Capitals--which, I have to regularly remind myself, is one cog in a massive business owned by billionaires (and a game played by millionaire professionals)--the more the organization's losses became, like, my own personal losses. For a while, I tried to distance myself from the entire experience--which was made a little easier with every soul-crushing post-season loss. I've recently tried to re-evaluate what it means for me, personally, to be a fan of this team: What I put into it, what I get out of it, how much of that experience is a positive thing in my life (entertainment, exhilaration, the joy of a shared experience), and how much of it is a negative (stress, frustration, moodiness, obsessiveness, argumentativeness, etc.) I'm finally at a place where I can enjoy the successes but not be consumed by the losses. It took a while to get there, but it's been working for me.

This is just my own personal experience, and is not meant as advice for anyone else or any kind of judgement of other fans' experience.

I definitely went through a similar process. I feel better mentally for kind of resetting my Caps fandom.

Reactions: HeyMattyB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad