Post-Game Talk: Golden Grasshoppers

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
See I didn’t hate the blais deal at all. I’m of the realistic belief that if a first round pick was actually avail for buchnevich Drury would have taken it.

But I think at the time we wanted to get tougher and get experience and Sammy had alot of upside. The knee injury almost makes the move impossible to judge fairly. I don’t think anyone expected blais to score like buchnevich. The Rangers needed to open up a spot and cap space for their first and 2nd overall picks. One of them SHOULD be replicating that production by now. (They aren’t ) but that made the trade make sense to me. Couldn’t give buchnevich a real contract at that point

It’s just very unfortunate that blais got hurt because I liked what he was bringing early on

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
40 is generous, some nights they dont get any time.

Miller is the answer, give him time to get comfortable and he'll be able to work his way into the ozone

Another reason Trouba shouldn't be on pp2, Miller should be...or Jones if he's in the lineup

personally i don't see miller as the answer. wouldn't be against trying it, but to me his skillset isn't the answer. he's a long strider whereas ideally you want someone more dynamic, that can really work edges/slow down and accelerate quickly. he beats people by getting outside them and outskating their angle or outmuscling them. we need someone who's more inclined to weave, wont be able to go outside a pk...gotta use the middle of the ice. and then while he's demonstrated good hands at times, he still has a habit of letting the puck slip off his stick and get lost in his skates too often....don't love that and asking him to skate the puck up regularly with no one in position to get back when he loses it.

Reactions: Ruggs225 and romba

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
The worst part about blais is next year after a full off-season of training completely healed he’ll be back too his old self on a cheap deal with like the devils or penguins throwing our guys into the stands and popping a few goals.

He’s in the lineup right now to save face on the trade but really there’s no way he should be.
Maybe he's in the lineup now because he still hits more than most, is actually a good fit on the 4th line in their average 10 mins a game (where he can build his leg strength in game conditions), and they plan on keeping him next year when he will hopefully be back to his old self... I mean THAT seems like the simplest most likely scenario. Occam's Razor. How does playing him now when he's a shell and then letting him go "save face"? I don't think it saves face at all, and the knee blowout gave the NYR the perfect excuse to save face and not sign him if they were planning to let him go. No one expects him to be back to form yet...

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
If I sat at a game with GG I think I would really get annoyed by all the sniffing. I would then ask him if he read HF Boards when he decided to change his lines recently with Kakko and Laf or if he actually just listened to the beat reporter which is who he gave credit to after he made the switch. But you're right. He's brilliant. It's humbling. I couldn't believe how smart he was in letting PP1 pad their stats up 5-1 with 6 minutes to go. Dumb fans would want PP2 to get some time to improve. Pathetic. Let them continue to not get game situations to figure it out. Dumb fans want Laf playing at the end holding a very comfortable lead. Imbeciles. We need Goodrow in that role. What if Laf gives up a 3 pointer? Then we are only up 1.
Why don't you go into coaching ? Would the 3.6 million/year not be enough ?

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
See I didn’t hate the blais deal at all. I’m of the realistic belief that if a first round pick was actually avail for buchnevich Drury would have taken it.

But I think at the time we wanted to get tougher and get experience and Sammy had alot of upside. The knee injury almost makes the move impossible to judge fairly. I don’t think anyone expected blais to score like buchnevich. The Rangers needed to open up a spot and cap space for their first and 2nd overall picks. One of them SHOULD be replicating that production by now. (They aren’t ) but that made the trade make sense to me. Couldn’t give buchnevich a real contract at that point

It’s just very unfortunate that blais got hurt because I liked what he was bringing early on
I 100 percent agree.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Why don't you go into coaching ? Would the 3.6 million/year not be enough ?
So unless any of us here have the ability to coach an NHL team, we can’t hope for common sense changes?

Ok.

Mods, please shut the boards down. Ban everyone unable to be an NHL coach. We’ve got high expectations here. Krav has a better chance of getting in the lineup than posting.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Until miller knows when to pinch or not he should be far away from the PP. He is good on the rush, but other than that he is not that great offensively. Not near good enough to run a Pp, and he would definitely cause SH chances the other way.

He needs opportunities just like everyone else.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
PP2 gets 30 seconds starting from behind its own net with the PK fully set up in the neutral zone. And it’s Trouba rushing the puck…
“Rushing” is being kind. He spends about 20 of those seconds skating from behind the net to the red line before dumping it in or making a terrible pass for a turnover.

Reactions: CLW

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Hated the Blais deal when it happened. Thought Drury got taken to the cleaners.

He grew on me quick though. Would even argue that prior to the injury he may have been the most effective open ice hitter/forechecker in the game. You could see where a guy like him could be a big factor in a 7 game series vs a division rival that played a heavy game.

Post Surgery though, he is not the same player. He still throws the body, but it's like a watered down version of his former self. Being there isn't much else to his game, it's concerning.

I hope that maybe as he progresses we see the same player we saw in the short sample size prior to the Subban incident, but it's not looking like that will happen at this stage.

Does the NYR have need for a watered down version of Sammy Blais on this squad?
i would sit him every so often but i do think he will be a factor assuming he gets his legs back. he right now can hardly make a pivot. he is purely a straight-line skater. but i'm hopeful he gets his edges back with more confidence and strengthening. that was an awful injury.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Hated the Blais deal when it happened. Thought Drury got taken to the cleaners.

He grew on me quick though. Would even argue that prior to the injury he may have been the most effective open ice hitter/forechecker in the game. You could see where a guy like him could be a big factor in a 7 game series vs a division rival that played a heavy game.

Post Surgery though, he is not the same player. He still throws the body, but it's like a watered down version of his former self. Being there isn't much else to his game, it's concerning.

I hope that maybe as he progresses we see the same player we saw in the short sample size prior to the Subban incident, but it's not looking like that will happen at this stage.

Does the NYR have need for a watered down version of Sammy Blais on this squad?
Well said. I have no idea what to do with the player to set him up for success this year. I guess @duhmetreE said next year is projected to be better for him based on knee injury recoveries in the past, I don't know if we are supposed to just keep him on PP2 as dead weight or what this year. He was awesome to watch last year

Reactions: Lion Hound

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Well said. I have no idea what to do with the player to set him up for success this year. I guess @duhmetreE said next year is projected to be better for him based on knee injury recoveries in the past, I don't know if we are supposed to just keep him on PP2 as dead weight or what this year. He was awesome to watch last year
No you let him walk and replace him with Cullye or someone like that. He's injury prone, you can't count on him.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

I simply can't agree anymore with this post than I already am, with my soul.

I might be high. But my statement still stands.

Cheers

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It’s true when they do get some time they’ve done absolutely nothing with it to force the coach to do anything differently. Now you put Fox in there instead of trouba probably a big difference
I agree. Probably even bigger difference if you also add Panarin & Zibanejad. Wouldn't hurt to have Kreider's soft touch around the net and Trocheck in the bumper spot.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
OMG, these graphs! What does one do if you are colorblind?

Actually, I am not....just stupid. Haha. But really, what if?
I'm not colorblind either, but I assume they would see each color as a different shade and be able to compare them to the key to know what they mean. Though given that they are all shades of blue, maybe it would be harder for them to differentiate between them.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad