Post-Game Talk: Golden Grasshoppers

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Its painfully obvious that Blais is a shell of his former self. That knee injury was devastating.

And while I feel for the guy and would love for him to work things out and be a part of this team I agree there are a few other options I'd rather have in his spot. Vesey would be perfect on that wing. Even Rydahl would provide more speed on the forecheck. Blaid just floats around and tries his best to mix things up physically if can actually get to a player in time. Thats all he can really do

Blais is having trouble making quick cuts, transitions and just doesnt have the power he once had in that leg. Even his hits arent as powerful because he cant drive through the check. Its actually pretty tough to watch every night.

What's annoying to me is the Gallant sends him out on the second PP unit to see if he can get him going with a goal (which would be his FIRST as a Ranger, Jesus what a horrible trade) like it will actually help his game come around. It has nothing to do with scoring.

Nothing but extra rehab time is going to help Blais at this point. How long are you willing to wait? 50 games? And then what? Do they really intend on resigning him?

I feel like they are trying to do him a solid keeping him in the lineup to build up his value in the NHL so he can hit the open market and get paid a little more. I get it. Hes a good guy. But this is the NHL and there are better players who can provide more in his spot. Its tough, but its a business right?

Hated the Blais deal when it happened. Thought Drury got taken to the cleaners.

He grew on me quick though. Would even argue that prior to the injury he may have been the most effective open ice hitter/forechecker in the game. You could see where a guy like him could be a big factor in a 7 game series vs a division rival that played a heavy game.

Post Surgery though, he is not the same player. He still throws the body, but it's like a watered down version of his former self. Being there isn't much else to his game, it's concerning.

I hope that maybe as he progresses we see the same player we saw in the short sample size prior to the Subban incident, but it's not looking like that will happen at this stage.

Does the NYR have need for a watered down version of Sammy Blais on this squad?

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You're singling him out, which I think is a little unfair. Maybe he doesn't have brand cachet like the others, who are guilty of the same thing. He's been serviceable if not fine as 6D. I watch Fox and Schneider get burned on their heels when they attempt to gap closer. They can't gap closer because they're slow.

Nah the stats bear out that Hajek struggles in the 6D role. Schneiders stats with Jones are significantly better IIRC. With Hajek he struggles.

Fox and Schneider may get burned sometimes but overall they are better defensemen than Hajek

I want to like Hajek, he's a guy with a lot of tools but he's not just not particularly good

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
And it’s hard to fault gallant here in all honesty. You want your big money stars on the PP. can he get them off the ice a bit sooner? Maybe. But that pp even when not scoring holds the puck in the zone a LONG time. Rare that they don’t set up.
Yea, we can't take their zone entries for granted. Back in the AV and Torts days it would be 3-4 failed zone entry attempts, then PP2 would pretty do the same. Having two zone entry gurus Fox and Panarin allows our PP to get easily get set up. Mika is barely 50/50 on PP controlled zone entries and if god forbit CK has to do it it's 100% one and done.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Trouba is a point-man imbecile. But I've seen the kids flub their entries and not being able to set up. Maybe they're rushing things because they have a grand 40 seconds of time. They're unable to open up time and space down low, so they have to kick it back to the point for a Trouba play, which usually spells disaster.
40 is generous, some nights they dont get any time.

they definitely look for that but the pp structurally isn't any diff than pp1, they just use a simple find a shot and use that to break open a pk in scrambles - personally, given they get about 30 seconds a pp and have nowhere near the chemistry of pp1 yet - i don't mind this approach.

but i agree with you, i want the pp running through laf and i want him walking at the net and taking the shot as often as possible. it does usually run through him, though kakko will control the puck as well which i'm good with, but laf always starts out in his favorite spot up high on the left. he's walked down the slot to shoot or dish a handful of times. long story short i don't agree he isn't getting used correctly, but i do agree with the general thesis of wanting him to get a bigger pp opportunity. i just think its ice time rather than the setup itself. on the rare occasion they get a faceoff, and win it, in the o zone, laf is in his office.

one real issue with both pp's is we simply do not have a guy with the hands and skating ability to get into the zone and get things set up quickly. its either a choppy high-danger, small-area series of passes from the red line to just over their blue line and sometimes a puck pokes loose where we can get to it, or dump and chase. it is hands down the worst thing about losing tony d...he was phenomenal at that. really sucks watching how impossible we can make that look and then we got barzal and hughes for neighbors who gain zone entries with their eyes closed.

Miller is the answer, give him time to get comfortable and he'll be able to work his way into the ozone

Yea, we can't take their zone entries for granted. Back in the AV and Torts days it would be 3-4 failed zone entry attempts, then PP2 would pretty do the same. Having two zone entry gurus Fox and Panarin allows our PP to get easily get set up. Mika is barely 50/50 on PP controlled zone entries and if god forbit CK has to do it it's 100% one and done.
Another reason Trouba shouldn't be on pp2, Miller should be...or Jones if he's in the lineup

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
40 is generous, some nights they dont get any time.

Miller is the answer, give him time to get comfortable and he'll be able to work his way into the ozone

Another reason Trouba shouldn't be on pp2, Miller should be...or Jones if he's in the lineup

Until miller knows when to pinch or not he should be far away from the PP. He is good on the rush, but other than that he is not that great offensively. Not near good enough to run a Pp, and he would definitely cause SH chances the other way.

Reactions: will1066

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Another must win Friday at the Avs. We need to start stacking points and weve gotten big breaks with injuries to our opponents on this short road trip. Being on a 3 game W streak going into 2 home games against Jersey and Toronto, which will be out biggest games of the year that everyone should be up for.

The season is far from dead and as long as they continue to lean on Laf/Kakko/Chytil (if nothing more than to keep the NMC boys fresh) they will be get back in the race. Just need to maintain the game to game consistency.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Hated the Blais deal when it happened. Thought Drury got taken to the cleaners.

He grew on me quick though. Would even argue that prior to the injury he may have been the most effective open ice hitter/forechecker in the game. You could see where a guy like him could be a big factor in a 7 game series vs a division rival that played a heavy game.

Post Surgery though, he is not the same player. He still throws the body, but it's like a watered down version of his former self. Being there isn't much else to his game, it's concerning.

I hope that maybe as he progresses we see the same player we saw in the short sample size prior to the Subban incident, but it's not looking like that will happen at this stage.

Does the NYR have need for a watered down version of Sammy Blais on this squad?
Same here. His body checks were f***ing thunderous last season before his injury. I mean he would take dudes to the cleaners, like every shift. And clean.

I really enjoyed watching his game. He had that fantastic goal on an individual effort in preseason too. There were a least some things he did to make you feel better about the trade.

This really sucks seeing the toll an injury like that can take on a professional athlete. I dont know if anyone, even Blais, knows how long or even if he'll get back to that level.

Joe and Sam keep bringing it up and Sammy keeps saying hes nowhere near where he wants to be yet. And thats the thing right? If the player himself is saying those things, its probably best the coaching staff get real and do something about it for the teams benefit.

Last edited:

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
I would not be able to run a hockey practice, so in that regard no. I think 90% of posters would do a better job with choosing the line combos.

Do you actually think you couldn't do a better job with the lines than this clown?
Have you ever stopped to think it's 20some times harder to be a Head Coach in the NHL than it is to be a player ? Take a minute to think about that. Picking lines is far more complicated than you guys make it out to be. The hockey knowledge of an NHL coach over the average hockey fan is infinitely higher. If you sat at a game with 2 guys that have coached in the NHL you would be gobsmacked at how much they know and what they see that the average person doesn't and I think you would be humbled in realizing how little you knew and saw.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I don't mind sacrificing Hajek as 6d if Jones is getting major minutes with the Wolfpack. I doubt Hajek is that well liked by the coach but he's fine to play for a stretch when Jones can benefit much more from getting tons of ice time he can't get with the big club. I'm sure Jones will be back and hopefully those increased minutes really help him.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Have you ever stopped to think it's 20some times harder to be a Head Coach in the NHL than it is to be a player ? Take a minute to think about that. Picking lines is far more complicated than you guys make it out to be. The hockey knowledge of an NHL coach over the average hockey fan is infinitely higher. If you sat at a game with 2 guys that have coached in the NHL you would be gobsmacked at how much they know and what they see that the average person doesn't and I think you would be humbled in realizing how little you knew and saw.
What did he see in Nemeth? Besides him being one of the worst defensemen in the NHL and almost single handily costing us a playoff series?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The worst part about blais is next year after a full off-season of training completely healed he’ll be back too his old self on a cheap deal with like the devils or penguins throwing our guys into the stands and popping a few goals.

He’s in the lineup right now to save face on the trade but really there’s no way he should be.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
It's also been beaten like a dead horse, but the second unit has done absolutely jack shit with their admittedly limited time. People will use the chicken-and-egg argument, that they'll do *something* if given more minutes, but having done literally zilch doesn't warrant more minutes.

PP1 had a long ass time doing nothing as well. I think that's what people were clamoring for - give the other unit a chance (Although I fully admit I would have removed Blais and maybe stick Panarin there) IMO

But last night Mika was fire so all is good.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
If I sat at a game with GG I think I would really get annoyed by all the sniffing. I would then ask him if he read HF Boards when he decided to change his lines recently with Kakko and Laf or if he actually just listened to the beat reporter which is who he gave credit to after he made the switch. But you're right. He's brilliant. It's humbling. I couldn't believe how smart he was in letting PP1 pad their stats up 5-1 with 6 minutes to go. Dumb fans would want PP2 to get some time to improve. Pathetic. Let them continue to not get game situations to figure it out. Dumb fans want Laf playing at the end holding a very comfortable lead. Imbeciles. We need Goodrow in that role. What if Laf gives up a 3 pointer? Then we are only up 1.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
The worst part about blais is next year after a full off-season of training completely healed he’ll be back too his old self on a cheap deal with like the devils or penguins throwing our guys into the stands and popping a few goals.

He’s in the lineup right now to save face on the trade but really there’s no way he should be.
Hopefully he keeps improving and becoming the player that Drury traded for as the season goes on.

Maybe then, they can consider resigning him short term if it works out.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
The way Panarin setup the one timer, that fast puck movement is what we've been lacking.

Fox and Panarin are too slow and deliberate. They need to change the pace once in a while. Quick puck movement is what creates space/lanes.

That one-touch pass was gorgeous. It seems anything Mika connects with on his one timer is min 95mph shot. Love it.

Reactions: duhmetreE

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

I think Drury is too stubborn to give up on him. He'll see it through IMO

I could see him getting another 1-2 year 'prove it'. I mean he has 0 goals in 39 games as a Ranger.... how much could he possibly command as a 4th liner?

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Eddie O was embarassing himself last night when Kenny made the reference. That swarm happened in August of 2019...Grasshoppers are all over the Valley until December, so Domi's story could have some validity. I don't see how a skate wouldn't cut through the bug like a hot knife though butter, however. LOL.

Not surprised on Eddie O embarrassing himself, he is just awful. Like I mean cmon, he loves his catch phrase "Look it"

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Blais won’t get better this season. He’ll be playing catch up all year. He needs a full off-season to get the explosiveness back. Similar to Barkley.

Someone mentioned it earlier. The explosiveness is truly what’s missing and he won’t find that just playing thru the season

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Not for nothing but the 2nd unit is set up to fail because their 'play' is to get it to trouba for a slapshot from the point that rarely hits the net. All through Laf's career he's been a trigger man on the pp, why not use him in that regard.Trouba shouldn't be on that pp. Its should be Laf, Chytil, Kakko, Miller and if you want a net front guy Goodrow. Its all irrelevant anywya cus pp1 takes all the pp time
Wouldn't that be the same argument as the kids just need to play in the top6? Seems to be proving itself.

The problem isn't so much of the kids but guys like Trouba QBing it. If you put the kids on with Panarin and Fox, I'm confident they would garner results. That's obviously not happening with Zibs and Kreider being our most potent options on the PP. So, it is what it is. If they want to replace a Trocheck for Laffy or Kakko, great...

but the 2nd unit will suck no matter what when Trouba is QBing it and a schlub like Blais on it.
Agreed. So, the obvious answer to me, would be FOXY for the whole 2 minutes. If anyone could handle that, he would be.
Seems 80% of the time Trouba's shot doesn't get through. Foxy would manipulate plays and getting it TO the net where the kids could do their thing much better.
They are young, hungry garbage pickers.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
It's also been beaten like a dead horse, but the second unit has done absolutely jack shit with their admittedly limited time. People will use the chicken-and-egg argument, that they'll do *something* if given more minutes, but having done literally zilch doesn't warrant more minutes.
I get what you are saying but what IS the avg time the second unit gets? 30 seconds? What would PP1's numbers look like if we only looked at scoring in the first 30 secs of a PP? I really don't know the stats, but seems fairly rare they score that quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad