GDT: Gold Medal Game - May 26 - Canada vs Finland

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I'm still torn between watching this game or European election results. Finland vs. sport's ultimate super power just makes me think we don't have the force.
Do both, I'm sure you have a TV and a computer. Mute the sound on the game and watch the election stuff while glancing at the game once in a while.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
1. Finland already surpassed all expectations... they are feeling as if they have already "won" with the Silver
2. Very hard to get up to play after two emotional wins in a row
3. They are no longer considered a "mediocre" team
4. Canada has the revenge factor.
5. Canada won't take them lightly as SWE or RUS.

CAN in a blowout ... 4-1 Everyone will be happy anyway. Silver is good enough according to Finnish mentality, especially with this Mestis team
Mostly disagree.
1. Nobody will be happy with silver. Lankinen for one already said he'll go play for only the gold.
2. In the post-game footage they looked more enthusiastic than ever. And, Jalonen.
3. It's still a no-name roster, even if the teamplay is respected.
5. Sweden never takes Finland lightly, and some Russian players commented they came in prepared for a difficult game.

I have no idea what Finnish mentality you might be talking about. Gold is totally winnable against this Team Canada so silver is going to feel like a loss. Not going to see happy faces; damn proud of this team anyway, that's a different matter.

Different strokes for different folks though. Just pointing out your view ain't the universal hot take. :neener:

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
I can see only two outcomes from this game. Either Canada wins with a blowout, or it's very close game till the end.
Hoping for the latter and think it's more likely.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I have no idea what to expect, usually I can predict what kind of a game will be played and often even get the score close... But this time I don't have any idea. Scary feeling but I hope that Finland could pull it off.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I'll lift my hat to team Finland even if it is a blow-out. Silver is not a shame for this no-name team, compiled with second tier pro league players from the lower lines. With an oversized Aki Berg as their Captain and a draft aged player as their star player not even the 1st OA pick.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
As a Fin fan, I'm sure Canada has realized that we are counting on total team defense and steaming hot goalie and there should be a lot of tries for deflections and bounces trying to bypass this.

The way Finland could take this is to go all in on relentless forecheck in the first and really test their D. (duh)

FastEddie

Feb 22, 2019
I can see only two outcomes from this game. Either Canada wins with a blowout, or it's very close game till the end.
Hoping for the latter and think it's more likely.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Either Finland does Canada like it did against the Russians and it's system oriented or Canada blows them out, and either way it's a dull game. The Finns did play an exciting game against Sweden though, chasing it. Who knows. Still I'm feeling 2-1, or 1-0 Finland or else 5-1 Canada.

Reactions: jesui

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
DcW2U3cXcAADOZC.jpg

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I'll lift my hat to team Finland even if it is a blow-out. Silver is not a shame for this no-name team, compiled with second tier pro league players from the lower lines. With an oversized Aki Berg as their Captain and a draft aged player as their star player not even the 1st OA pick.

Scared already, but I don't afraid the scenario Finns lose this, I'm afraid of that blow-out scenario, that this awesome team would somehow make full mental collapse, that is then reflected to on ice happenings.

And, yes. Everyone loves Mörkö! He is like a member of some kind forgotten tribe of giants of Kainuu coming among people of scattered forest dweller bobbits to lead them against horrible enemies at remote northern backwoods at a frontier of fantasy kingdom of Hoccy, from a ancient oral stories of seldom sang poetry that E. Lönnröt and his fellas didn't bother note to their scrolls when collecting stuff for Kalevala.

Mörkö's frame and body language would make excellent hobgoblin chieftain in some post-tolkienist fantasy tale.

Use a black magic, summon some forgotten gods, consult a haruspex, what ever, but please don't let it be blow-out!

Electric Blue

Dec 7, 2016
I think Finland full of pretty cool guys, shoot pucks and doesn’t afraid of anything.

Finland victory 3-2.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Objectively, your favoured example is far less likely than a 8-1 Canadian win.
"Far" is a stretch. There are lots of slovakians who speak klingon, if we also take visiting finns into the equation the numbers of klingon speakers rise quite a bit as Finland is the nation with most klingon speaker per capita.

The times Canada has blown out Finland with a huge score in an international men's tournament are few and far between, especially in deciding games.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
The last time Finland played Canada for gold, Team Canada was stacked. Now it's a much less scary team Canada vs liiga stars. Team D vs Team D. Feeling confident about this one. 4-2 Finland.

Reactions: jalperi

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
"Far" is a stretch. There are lots of slovakians who speak klingon, if we also take visiting finns into the equation the numbers of klingon speakers rise quite a bit as Finland is the nation with most klingon speaker per capita.

The times Canada has blown out Finland with a huge score in an international men's tournament are few and far between, especially in deciding games.

Didn't know that. Wow! Thanks for that info. I wouldn't be that surprised if Quenya speakers per capita is high in Finland, but that Klingon speaker ratio came as surprise to me. Maybe that because I was StarWars fan, not that much Star Trek fan (and after that Disney StarWars BS, I curse them for ruining the franchise).

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Easy win for Canada, but at least we beat Sweden and Russia with a bunch of no-names.
And they had their best rosters like ever.

bar1

Apr 16, 2012
Canada is more like C with few arguments over that it could be a B team. Much more than D or E and it's a huge overstatement to claim so. Some guys would/could make it to A team even.

There are a few future stars in this team already and guys like Stone and Couturier have many arguments for being in the A team as well. Couturier has always been such a player that would fit in any team also with those PK talents and giving a 100% every time. Team Canada is also quite well put together for such short tournament and young guns fit to this role very well.

I guess you have to have a reason for losing to a Finnish C team if that happens.

Anyhow, this B/C/D team talk is pretty much nonsense since I really can not see any other Finnish team playing more with heart and full commitment like this team does. Therefore right now this team looks like an A team to me. This is one of the most important things in such short tournaments, that you have fully committed players to do what ever it takes. Therefore right now team Canada is also pretty much close to an A team.

Looking forward to a very entertaining final today! There's no backing up today but full speed ahead!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad