GDT: Gold medal game CAN-RUS part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Actually I think you'll find national pride from playing at home was the greatest motivator - some countries have it - other - not so much. And that Czech team wasn't bad at all - they would have taken russian down, I believe, if opponents were switched the game before.

I could easily respond that the Czechs were dominated by the States, who were trashed by Russia...but you're right. With Znarok at the helm, victory over the Czechs was no certainty.

With a competent coach however, this Russian team would have steamrolled the Czechs, and put up a much better fight against canada though. Defensive roster holes and all.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
The major thing that will be a discussion is what happened after the game. OV, Geno, Kulikov, and another player stayed to hear the Canadian national anthem, while the others left the ice (despite OV's pleading). You win like a champon, and you have to lose like a champion as well...that is, respect the integrity of the game. Whatever fine the Russian federation gets will be deserved because of that.

Macman

May 15, 2004
The major thing that will be a discussion is what happened after the game. OV, Geno, Kulikov, and another player stayed to hear the Canadian national anthem, while the others left the ice (despite OV's pleading). You win like a champon, and you have to lose like a champion as well...that is, respect the integrity of the game. Whatever fine the Russian federation gets will be deserved because of that.

There were no Russians on the ice for anthem. Ovie and the rest gave up and left after trophy presentation. You can see empty Russian end of ice at 3:20 of video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDpKDtD10LE

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

It looked like:

Ovechkin
Malkin
Tikhonov
Dadonov
Kulikov
Panarin
Tarasenko
Kulemin
some-one else

all lingered and did not go off straight away (from highlights, pictures etc) but that there were only ~3-4 left at the end.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
where did you see that?
i have read that IIHF will be punishing Russia, which kind of contradicts what you are suggesting.

Normally:
Ceremony
Anthem
Fasel closes tourney.

Problem is:
Ceremony
Fasel closes tourney!
Russia walks off cause no IIHF obligation to closed Tourney!
Anthem played.

Now the moron wants to Sanction Russia cause of his mistake.

That is FIFA standard of politics.

This is hockey!

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca
Anyone wanna give me a rundown of the game? All I heard is that the Russians bailed after losing?

6-1 tho. So we can actually win these bottom tier tournaments. Nice.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
There were no Russians on the ice for anthem. I think Ovie and the rest gave up and left after trophy presentation.

Get The facts People!

They left after Fasel closed the tournament.

The anthem was not part of IIHF ceremony!

Historically it is.

But blame Fasel for the confusion!

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Normally:
Ceremony
Anthem
Fasel closes tourney.

Problem is:
Ceremony
Fasel closes tourney!
Anthem played.

This is hockey!

Russia was already long gone by the time the tournament was closed by Fasel. The team was almost all gone before Crosby even got the championship trophy. Maybe you should check the facts before telling other people about them.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
I could easily respond that the Czechs were dominated by the States, who were trashed by Russia...but you're right. With Znarok at the helm, victory over the Czechs was no certainty.

With a competent coach however, this Russian team would have steamrolled the Czechs, and put up a much better fight against canada though. Defensive roster holes and all.

The 2nd and 3rd best teams faced each other in the 1/4 and were tied 3-3 in the third.
Sadly for Sweden no medal!

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Normally:
Ceremony
Anthem
Fasel closes tourney.

Problem is:
Ceremony
Fasel closes tourney!
Anthem played.

This is hockey!

If that is how it played out...the blame shifts to Faisel's boneheadedness. YIKES! But that still doesn't put the IIHF anywhere close to that of FIFA's tomfoolery.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
If that is how it played out...the blame shifts to Faisel's boneheadedness. YIKES! But that still doesn't put the IIHF anywhere close to that of FIFA's tomfoolery.

It's not how it played out, he's wrong. Luckily we now have video that shows us these things. Only 6 or so were still around when Crosby was handed the trophy. By the time the tournament was officially closed Canada was long there by themselves.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Russia was already long gone by the time the tournament was closed by Fasel. The team was almost all gone before Crosby even got the championship trophy. Maybe you should check the facts before telling other people about them.

The issue is about the anthem!

Respect for a countries anthem.

Not respect for the medal ceremony.

No obligation!

Tourney Closed!

Tourney open!

Then I would think less of them.

This was about KHL/NHL.

Not country to country.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
The issue is about the anthem!

Respect for a countries anthem.

Not respect for the medal ceremony.

No obligation!

Tourney Closed!

Tourney open!

Then I would think less of them.

No idea what you're talking about. The tournament was closed and the anthem started playing immediately after that. Russia was probably already in the showers by that point.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008

OF coarse

it was a collection of KHL players
walking off from NHL players.

Anthem was not part of the official Ceremony!

What is to angered about!

Did the players have to be there!

Nope!

If you play for your country.
It is about you getting to hear it!

Macman

May 15, 2004
Get The facts People!

They left after Fasel closed the tournament.

The anthem was not part of IIHF ceremony!

Historically it is.

But blame Fasel for the confusion!

Sorry, but you're wrong. Watch the video. The Russians are all gone before Fasel closes the tournament.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
OF coarse

it was a collection of KHL players
walking off from NHL players.

Anthem was not part of the official Ceremony!

What is to ***** about!

Did the players have to be there!

Nope!

Of course they have to be there. Why would you think otherwise? Even the GM of the Russian team is saying it was a shameful thing...

https://youtu.be/2v4ZmAD_dTk?t=10m22s

They didn't stay for the trophy presentation, the closing of the games or the anthem with the flag raising of both countries. Don't see why you can't just admit what they did was wrong.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
No idea what you're talking about. The tournament was closed and the anthem started playing immediately after that. Russia was probably already in the showers by that point.

Did they meet the tourney obligation?

Yes!

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Of course they have to be there. Why would you think otherwise? Even the GM of the Russian team is saying it was a shameful thing...

https://youtu.be/2v4ZmAD_dTk?t=10m22s

They didn't stay for the trophy presentation, the closing of the games or the anthem with the flag raising of both countries. Don't see why you can't just admit what they did was wrong.

I grew up watching the Flin Flon bombers play hockey.

The day every Canadian can say Clarke was an embarrassment to Canada in 1972.
Is the moment I will say they were wrong!

They do not give a .......about our anthem.
we do not give a .........about theirs.

They only players that needed to be standing their were our players.

I sure hope they stood at attention and did not move around disrespecting the anthem.
Cause there are a lot of men and women who gave there lives so we could pick that anthem!

If we are taking about Honor and Perceived obligations.

Moving around I have a problem with!

Last edited:

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Did they meet the tourney obligation?

Yes!

Obviously they did not meet the obligations, which is why they face sanctions...and why Ovi, Malkin and Tichonov were forced to awkwardly stand there by themselves for a time, before deciding to leave themselves.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I grew up watching the Flin Flon bombers play hockey.

The day every Canadian can say Clarke was an embarrassment to Canada in 1972.
Is the moment I will say they were wrong!

They do not give a .......about our anthem.
we do not give a .........about theirs.

They only players that needed to be standing their were our players.

I sure hope they stood at attention and did not move around disrespecting the anthem.
Cause there are a lot of men and women who gave there lives so we could pick that anthem!

I've got news for you. The cold war is over and the days of goonery are also passed. What happened in 1972 has no barring on yesterday.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Now if Fasel wants to sanction them for leaving during the ceremony.
all the power to him.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
I've got news for you. The cold war is over and the days of goonery are also passed. What happened in 1972 has no barring on yesterday.

Everyone is angered about respect of the Anthem.

Make a list of the Canadian players that moved and voice your displeasure on there twitter account!

To fail to do so makes anyone complaining hypocrites.

I will complain to neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad