GDT: Gold medal game CAN-RUS part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Its interesting to see Canadian people change theyre minds about bigger ice surface... Igor Larionov was right in saying Crosbys and co are product of the fast and skill game that the red army played... back in those days Canadians were outmatched nowadays they have catched up because the standard set by team Red Army. Back in the day canadians accepted the dirty Broad street bullies way and considered that the correct style of hockey everyone cheering for them buth truth is soviets were miles ahead in skill and speed etc. So its ironic that the style canadians didnt like of soviets is now admired as the preferred model.
Do you have an English link of Igor Larionov saying that? I've always enjoyed his feedback.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Ovi's just playing this game for fun. This game has very little importance compared to game 7 against the Rangers.

I think you're dismissing the importance of the game to Russians. It might not mean as much as the cup because he's won it before, but he would definitely want to win in any tournament he plays. He definitely cares because he flew back to rush for the games, just like the entire Russia knew he would.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
This big ice looks kinda nice.

Meh, too much dead space. it's good when you have elite teams playing against each other. But when the teams are lesser skilled it can be like watching soccer games when one team is bunkering.

I do like to think a compromise could work. I do like Finland and their 28 meter width they use at a lot of their rinks. I'd say standardize all rinks to 28x61 meters. I bit more width than the cloggy NHL size. But not as wide open as IIHF rinks.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Well of course, but the game seven loss wouldn't sting so bad if he could capture a gold.

Two big games in one week and what looks like two losses for Ovi.

Canada hasn't allowed a goal in 3 games. Blaming a star on a team not suppose to win is silly.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm sure you've heard Ovechkin talk about his international pride before - even threatened leaving the NHL if he wasn't allowed to play in Sochi. Unless you're being sarcastic, that is just so clearly untrue.

No, it is true. He's won that Championship 3 times already. He is extremely patriotic, we know it, but this loss today is far less heartbreaking for him than the game 7 loss.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada is playing unreal defensively & lighting up Bobrovsky at the same time.
Seguin & Giroux have been playing great. :thumbu:

Malkin has been playing like an individual & a poor sport this game.

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
No, it is true. He's won that Championship 3 times already. He is extremely patriotic, we know it, but this loss today is far less heartbreaking for him than the game 7 loss.

That may be true, but it certainly means more to him than just "fun" - that was the point I was trying to make anyway.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think you're dismissing the importance of the game to Russians. It might not mean as much as the cup because he's won it before, but he would definitely want to win in any tournament he plays. He definitely cares because he flew back to rush for the games, just like the entire Russia knew he would.

Again, objective number 1 for him was to move on from the playoff loss with the Caps, win or lose today.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Not to count my chickens, but it's crazy that between 2010-2014 Canada could only muster up a mens and women's gold and a U-18 championship. Now in the last 15 months it's been a men's and women's gold, world junior gold, and what's shortly to be WHC gold.

Nice to see we are back on track.

myzteriouz

Dec 4, 2011
My girlfriend, who never watches hockey, barely know what the sport is about, said Malkin is just trying to hit everyone in his sight with his stick...if it it that obvious that a someone who mostly watches her phone during the game, you need to tone it down Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad