Gold helmets for all home games -- official

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think they'd look better with the whites, but I'm not really opposed either way. The navy was fine, but this will grow on me.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Agreed.

But if they had asked me what I think about the overall look, I'm not a fan. Blue helmets contrasted and looked better.

Subban's face will contrast better with a gold helmet, though.
PKIce2.jpg

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I hate them and all, but Preds FB is being Preds FB about it. I saw a couple of, "Sean Henry needs to go," "they should bring back the black and blue thirds and make them the new home jersey like they promised," "this is the final straw, i'm getting rid of my season tickets"

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Marty Party

I hate them and all, but Preds FB is being Preds FB about it. I saw a couple of, "Sean Henry needs to go," "they should bring back the black and blue thirds and make them the new home jersey like they promised," "this is the final straw, i'm getting rid of my season tickets"

Pfft. Idiots. The yellow helmets are a terrible look and idea but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

For these abominations to go away someone is going to have to swallow their pride.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
100% chance people saying this don't have season tickets.

Pfft. Idiots. The yellow helmets are a terrible look and idea but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

For these abominations to go away someone is going to have to swallow their pride.
So, should we call ourselves the Rubber Duckies?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Subban's face will contrast better with a gold helmet, though.

True enough. Gold it is.

People will drop their season tickets over most anything. I'm guessing in most cases it was perilous beforehand and whatever happened is as good a reason as any. However, if a fan enjoyed going to the games, could afford the luxury, and had no other gripes with the organization, dropping them because of a helmet color seems a bit extreme.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Not a fan but they are helmets. I don't really care what they look like as long as they win. Live with them for a few years and they'll change it again.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
True enough. Gold it is.

People will drop their season tickets over most anything. I'm guessing in most cases it was perilous beforehand and whatever happened is as good a reason as any. However, if a fan enjoyed going to the games, could afford the luxury, and had no other gripes with the organization, dropping them because of a helmet color seems a bit extreme.

I don't think a single person will not go or drop season tickets over the uniform.

I have never liked the yellow scheme, regardless. Just too yellow. I think it should be more like the L.A. Rams gold scheme. They had an old yellow scheme and it pales in comparison to the current gold color.

Take it for what it is worth, I heard Mark Howard say on the radio the other day that Tom Cigarran loves the gold (yellow) color scheme and he is the reason.

Preds are one of the few teams where I prefer the road whites.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't think a single person will not go or drop season tickets over the uniform.

I have never liked the yellow scheme, regardless. Just too yellow. I think it should be more like the L.A. Rams gold scheme. They had an old yellow scheme and it pales in comparison to the current gold color.

Take it for what it is worth, I heard Mark Howard say on the radio the other day that Tom Cigarran loves the gold (yellow) color scheme and he is the reason.

Preds are one of the few teams where I prefer the road whites.
I love the yellow jerseys, I just think it looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better with navy helmets. The yelmets look tacky and cartoonish.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I have grown to love the gold jerseys, too. It doesn't mesh with my coloring that well but as a group we look fabulous.

If Tom Cigarran is putting his dough into the team, he can pick the colors. Just keep the laundry here in Nashville.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I love the gold jerseys, after spending the previous years of our existence thinking we had among the league worst. The helmets are just overkill, and as someone said, canary yellow isn't gold.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I have grown to love the gold jerseys, too. It doesn't mesh with my coloring that well but as a group we look fabulous.

If Tom Cigarran is putting his dough into the team, he can pick the colors. Just keep the laundry here in Nashville.

Same here- the thing that made me realize it was watching clips from old games before the switch to Gold- just look at the fans and the arena- looks totally boring and dull compared to the way the arena looks with everyone in gold- it just pops...

OriginalName

Aug 22, 2016
Imabari, Japan
Reaction when the FO (hopefully) announces to the players and the fans that they're scrapping the yellow helmets: *snip*

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be possible for them to scrap the yeller' helmets this season. They were definitely planning this at least since the beginning of last season (why else would you do a "trial run" and then roll it out full-time even though the response is overwhelmingly negative?), so they've probably already devised a ton of promotional materials based off of it. For instance, someone mentioned in I believe the Observations Thread that they're the only option in the new EA NHL game. That could be edited, of course, but it speaks to a larger (though admittedly minor) rebranding vision. I think if they do get rid of it, it'll probably be at least two seasons from now.

By that time, fans will probably have just gotten used to it. This is how bad creative decisions in corporate settings work.

It's a shame -- obviously helmets aren't the end of the world, but it's hard not to gripe at such a clear case of great design vs. not-as-great design.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
And this photo is from 1993 / 4?

After 20 some years, I rarely hear Marquette Warriors spoke anymore.

BTW, the dark blue looks good with the Gold! (I am a UWM grad, but the colors look good)

It's from like 2005 when Marquette announced they were changing their nickname from Golden Eagles to Gold. After a few weeks of backlash, they changed it back to Golden Eagles.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I thought they were only for Saturday nights the plan was to make Saturdays like SEC football. Add holidays but 41 times is overkill

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I'd feel better about it all if they actually managed to get the yellow colour of the helmets and jerseys to match.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Who cares? The sweaters could be plaid and the helmets could be pink paisley...unless the cup is handed out for color coordination. Then I care if the helmets are blue gold or white. I know, I know...feel free to not read the boards....that's fair. But still.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
I had an extended DM conversation with Sean Henry when they announced this atrocity. He told me they had been planning this move all along because they really wanted to push the "Preds Gold" to the forefront.
Needless to say, I voiced my strong dislike of this move and posted a picture of "The Skating Homer Simpson's" and that's when Henry DM'd me.
I told him that the look was extremely unbalanced overkill with too much gold on the top half. I also stated that maybe I wouldn't disapprove so much if the buckets were actually "Pred Gold" instead of Big Bird yellow.
When I asked if he really thought his marketing dept had done its due diligence with this decision because the message board, Twitter and FB backlash was extreme to say the least, Henry said that the players loved them (I told him I highly doubted that) and they were well received last season (they must have polled fans in Antigua).

Several hours later after a couple people had tweeted that they were ok with the move because of its correlation with pediatric cancer awareness, Henry DM'd me again with zero prompting from me and said that pediatric cancer awareness was a big reason they went ahead with the gold domes. Personally, I was kinda impressed that he took that convenient explanation handed to him on a silver platter and ran with it like it was his own.

I'm a Pred fan first and foremost and I will support this team regardless, but I won't lie that I am disappointed in the organization for turning what was a great quirky-campy marketing image into what is now bordering on straight cartoonish.
At least we are lucky that the guys at the top do try to address fans' concerns...although in this case I doubt it changes anything anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad