Gold Cup 2023

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Yeesh, yeah, holy overreaction guys. Turner is the only 2026 starter on this squad, IMO.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This is true but speaks volumes about depth and development. US Soccer has same mindset that failed in the '18 cycle.
We have one of the deepest programs in a long time.

Yeesh, yeah, holy overreaction guys. Turner is the only 2026 starter on this squad, IMO.
He might be the only 2026 squad member on this squad. Slonina, too, perhaps. But yeah. No reason to be concerned about the program because our third team only made the semi-final

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Fire everyone at US Soccer and start over. Three disgraceful results in the only competitive games USMNT will play until '26.
You miss the 5-0 combined victories over Mexico and Canada less than a month ago with our actual squad? :huh:

We were only going to send to be able to send our top group to one tourney due to club obligations and only Turner, Ferreira, and Robinson probably figure into the first squad in any capacity at this point.

Reactions: Basement Cat

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You miss the 5-0 combined victories over Mexico and Canada less than a month ago with our actual squad? :huh:

We were only going to send to be able to send our top group to one tourney due to club obligations and only Turner, Ferreira, and Robinson probably figure into the first squad in any capacity at this point.
Adding on that I thought Sands had a solid tourney and might finally give us another backup 6 aside from Acosta.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We should be expecting to win the Gold Cup, regardless of which players we field. It's true that maybe like 2 or 3 of those guys are in the best 23, but I still think that's a bad excuse. The Gold Cup field is a very weak one. You have to be winning it, whoever takes the field. Berhalter takes full blame for this one. He's not starting in September. He started in July, and he's on the hook for this. Players-wise, like half of this roster we knew should never play another game for the National Team before the tournament started, so it's slim pickings.

Turner was great, but needs to be playing at the club level weekly. Taking starts away from Slonina at this tournament (don't even get me started on Sean Johnson being the #2 at this tournament) to get him some extra match practice he won't get with his club team shouldn't be happening. Only is because our goalkeepers insist on being backups for great clubs or starting at mediocre clubs. On this path, Turner will fall the way of Steffen. Neal was very good too. He'll be a National Team center-back soon. Cowell has the potential, but needs more time. Reynolds is close, but still behind Scally and Dest on the right side. Sands is right there as a defensive midfielder back-up for Adams. Vazquez and Ferreira can only remain in the picture if they move to better leagues, but didn't hurt their chances going forward with their performances. I don't mind Jones or Mihailovic either, but they are kind of a little far down the depth chart.

On the bad side, Robinson was pretty bad, considering the competition at this tournament. He's falling down the CB charts. He needs that move to Europe badly, which might not go well. We have to be honest about that. His whole reputation has been built within MLS and against weak international competition. Tolkin showed he's not ready. He's young though, so he has time. I don't need to see any more of Zendejas. Doesn't do the job required. Aidan Morris was bad too, but it seems like there might've been a personal issue that could've contributed to it. Maybe you give him a slight pass, but it doesn't help him move up the depth chart for the Adams back-up. I can't take Busio's inclusion seriously when he's a back up in Serie B. He was middling in this tournament, but he's not a serious National Team contender until his club situation rectifies, if it ever does. The rest of the guys disqualify themselves.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Glad Mexico won.

We need them to be good. Panama winning the Gold Cup does nothing for the region.

If Mexico eventually becomes Panama, that's not good for us. We need them to be a real challenger, so let them win a tournament where we bring our C team.

They'll get confident, and then we'll beat them for the 50th time in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad