Gold Cup 2023

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Definitely looks like the US b team.
Worse, it's US MLS scrubs team. The US still has a lot of decent players from Europe that they could field. But they choose mostly MLS to appease Garber and the Owners in MLS.

And Milhialovish coming on and making an instant impact is saying a lot.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Happy to scrape a draw out of that. Terrible game overall from some players. You can see there's a very steep drop off from the A team. Funny enough I'd say the World Cup vets were some of the worst players on the pitch tonight outside of Turner.

Reactions: Cirris

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Mexico start quickly. Yet another opportunity for their shitstain fans to embarrass themselves.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This Jamaica team might very well go on a deep run this tournament.

I'm not willing to give them the fourth best nation in the region yet. If they do well in this tournament and are able to get their big guns to continue showing up during international windows: then we can revisit this.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
This Jamaica team might very well go on a deep run this tournament.

I'm not willing to give them the fourth best nation in the region yet. If they do well in this tournament and are able to get their big guns to continue showing up during international windows: then we can revisit this.
Their british/euro players must realize how great their chances are of making the next world cup. No excuses not to show up anymore.

Reactions: robertmac43

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Martinique had to play a long time with 10 men but had built a 2-0 lead and hang on for a win over El Salvador.. 2-1.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
CONCACAF seems overall down in general compared to 10 years ago. Costa Rica and Honduras aren’t that strong anymore, seems like most of the Honduras players which made a decent run in the Olympics didn’t develop. Mexico is the weakest it’s been in a long time. Panama is what they are, probably slightly better than 10 years ago but nothing much on the global stage. El Salvador recruited a lot of American born players and has a decent coach but really outside of El Salvador they don’t get results

Canada and Jamaica are the only teams that have vastly improved and they have potential flaws. Canada has a good generation right now but can they continue developing players? I read their FA is going bankrupt. Jamaica has a strong team on paper but will these guys commit to playing qualifiers? In the past that was an issue but with the expanded field they have all the opportunity to return to a WC

Reactions: Basement Cat

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Totally agree Hajduk. How on earth is Joel Campbell still starting for Costa Rica? Borges too. It’s like if the US was still starting Altidore and Bradley. I long for the days of CR with Ruiz, Oviedo, Borges all in their primes. Im definitely missing plenty of solid players too.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Worse, it's US MLS scrubs team. The US still has a lot of decent players from Europe that they could field. But they choose mostly MLS to appease Garber and the Owners in MLS.

And Milhialovish coming on and making an instant impact is saying a lot.
I think it's mostly because they want the players in Europe to have a break and preseasons with their teams

Reactions: Cirris

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I think it's mostly because they want the players in Europe to have a break and preseasons with their teams
fair point.

I do realize i was being really heated during that match.

But it is the federation's "premier" tournament.

I don't see England or Argentina throwing their b- team out for the EUROs or COPA.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
fair point.

I do realize i was being really heated during that match.

But it is the federation's "premier" tournament.

I don't see England or Argentina throwing their b- team out for the EUROs or COPA.
It would appear that Nations League has overtaken that, at least in CONCACAF.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think the club to national team relationship is also improved when you let some of your A players take time off in the off season. Another reason for the big boys to stay home.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I know its a money grab for a relatively poor confederation (when talking about 90% of its members) but there is no need for the Gold Cup to be every two years. I also never understood why they play a lot of these games in NFL stadiums, especially the group stage games, hell they can barely fill MLS soccer-specific stadiums, I went to Gold Cup double header in Orlando a few years ago at the stadium was 80% empty despite having two teams with a strong diaspora in the region. The aesthetic of this tournament comes off as bush league unfortunately (always held in the US, small crowds, ability to change squads midway through the tournament etc.). But hey 66,000 went to the Mexico game apparently so that's all that matters

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Jamaica is going to be an interesting team this cycle. With the very realistic opportunity to play in a World Cup, I can see them getting some more commitments. Guys like Morgan Gibbs-White, Max Aarons, Mason Holgate, etc.

That EPL front 4 is looking great today. So dangerous on the counter.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad