Going to state the understatement

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I got a question. In our system, what is the special responsibility of the center in the offensive zone?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Folks have to stop using the listed positions and watch the games. Saad is playing RW right now. Foligno has done it off and on for years. Jenner could probably do RW no problem. We probably haven't had him there because there is no shortage of RW.

They can play there, but that doesn't mean we are better with them playing there. It's about getting the best lines together. For example, I like Saad with Milano and Bjorkstrand with Wennberg.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
The Jackets need a #1 center. The rest of the parts seem like they'll work pretty well.

I'm not counting on the Jackets getting the first pick in the draft (they have never had that ever.)

Everyone knows Auston Matthews is the grand prize. The problem is I have no ideal how the Jackets get a player like this? No team would trade out of the #1 spot and lose this kid.
Unless they unload there won't be many options in free agency.

It's the one spot they need to truly compete for a playoff spot.

I don't really understand this line of thinking. You can't boil everything down to one need, one missing piece. What they need to do is play well in a system that fits their strengths. Lots of names on the cup who weren't "#1 centers"

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I got a question. In our system, what is the special responsibility of the center in the offensive zone?

BhZTid7CcAARASh.jpg

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
Not if he doesn't learn to win faceoffs and shoot the puck more he won't.

Let's say for a moment that winning faceoffs gets you points. Early in the season he couldn't. Now he's up to almost 50%.

Earlier in the season he didn't shoot at all. Torts told him to shoot more and he is.

He's 21 and getting better at all facets of the game. BTW he will finish this season 2/3 the way to my top prediction. I stand by it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

That is an interesting question. I have no freakin' idea. I just see two or three guys wacking it around the boards.

I assume you know so could you please enlighten us non-players.

I struggle understanding the nuances of the game but have learned more about what makes a good D-man from the discussions here.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That is an interesting question. I have no freakin' idea. I just see two or three guys wacking it around the boards.

I assume you know so could you please enlighten us non-players.

I struggle understanding the nuances of the game but have learned more about what makes a good D-man from the discussions here.

I just notice that when Dubi and/or Jenner are out there the center is just as active on the forecheck or cycle as the wingers are. The three forwards just make sure one guy is playing high enough to cover but they cycle through so it doesn't matter what your position was when you started the shift.

And when Wennberg is out there he is usually the high guy with the two wingers in deep. He was playing too high but is gradually coming closer to the scoring/dirty areas.

In some systems the center is typically supposed to be the responsible guy playing higher up, but it doesn't seem that way with Torts.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
In response to OP, winning the lottery and drafting Matthews is the only short term AND long term fix in my mind. It doesn't make sense to trade for a borderline 1C like RNH who already carries a 6m cap hit given our current situation and trading for or signing an older guy like Staal does nothing for us when our team is actually ready to compete.

The only fix this offseason or the only fix ever? I find it hard to believe we're in a 2002-03 Cavaliers "win the lottery or fold" situation.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I don't really understand this line of thinking. You can't boil everything down to one need, one missing piece. What they need to do is play well in a system that fits their strengths. Lots of names on the cup who weren't "#1 centers"

Agreed, this isn't the NBA or post-defense NFL.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I just notice that when Dubi and/or Jenner are out there the center is just as active on the forecheck or cycle as the wingers are. The three forwards just make sure one guy is playing high enough to cover but they cycle through so it doesn't matter what your position was when you started the shift.

And when Wennberg is out there he is usually the high guy with the two wingers in deep. He was playing too high but is gradually coming closer to the scoring/dirty areas.

In some systems the center is typically supposed to be the responsible guy playing higher up, but it doesn't seem that way with Torts.

I agree and that is why I am not too worried about if we get a top C or a top RW/LW with our first pick. I don't expect us to pick a D with our first pick this year, but we might if we don't get one of the top 4 picks. I just want the best player.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree and that is why I am not too worried about if we get a top C or a top RW/LW with our first pick. I don't expect us to pick a D with our first pick this year, but we might if we don't get one of the top 4 picks. I just want the best player.

We need a great playmaker, position be damned. And the big three all have that potential. We'll probably have roughly a one-in-three chance of getting a top 3 pick. Almost certainly somewhere between a 23% and 39% chance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/47zq20/lottery_odds_for_top_3_picks_by_team_finish/

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Wennberg gets 50-60 pts. next year. Book it.

Over time I have grown to appreciate Wennberg, but not as a 1C. Even if he hits 55 points next year, I don't see his goal total coming close to what's needed to center the top line. So that still leaves us short a 1C. And while some are pushing Boone for 1C, his goal-to-assist profile points more to him as a top 6 winger IMO.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
This team isn't close to a playoff spot, even with said center.

Bingo.

I'm sure the CBJ in their short-sighted ways see it as missing one player but we're not close. We're the same CBJ team we've seen since Dough left - building on youth, which in 90% of the cases don't live up to expectations. Handing out long-term, big dollar contracts to every 3rd line forward with their hand out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad