Going to state the understatement

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
The Jackets need a #1 center. The rest of the parts seem like they'll work pretty well.

I'm not counting on the Jackets getting the first pick in the draft (they have never had that ever.)

Everyone knows Auston Matthews is the grand prize. The problem is I have no ideal how the Jackets get a player like this? No team would trade out of the #1 spot and lose this kid.
Unless they unload there won't be many options in free agency.

It's the one spot they need to truly compete for a playoff spot.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The Jackets need a #1 center. The rest of the parts seem like they'll work pretty well.

I'm not counting on the Jackets getting the first pick in the draft (they have never had that ever.)

Everyone knows Auston Matthews is the grand prize. The problem is I have no ideal how the Jackets get a player like this? No team would trade out of the #1 spot and lose this kid.

Only get them through the draft or a trade like Jones-Joey. Or you could get a guy like Duchene or RNH for a package but at the cost I don't k ow if it's worth it.

Maybe we draft Dubois and he becomes a 1C but yes we do need one.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
We need one, but I don't think it is a huge need. If we get one, great, but we shouldn't trade any good picks/prospects/players to get one. I think a top RW and another D are just as important.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
You don't build a team around wingers. 1D > 1C > else

I don't disagree. I never said pass up on a great C for a RW. I said our need for a C isn't as big as some think it is.

C:
Wennberg
Jenner
Dubinsky
Karlsson

RW:
Atkinson
Bjorkstrand
Anderson

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Don't really agree on many levels.

I think Jenner can be a #1 center; not elite but top line. It's not the one glaring area either, this team has many issues.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Wennberg IS NOT a Number One Center yet or even close. We can begin that conversation when he scores at least 10 goals in a season.

Absent winning the draft, I think our Number One Center is Boone.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Wennberg IS NOT a Number One Center yet or even close. We can begin that conversation when he scores at least 10 goals in a season.

Absent winning the draft, I think our Number One Center is Boone.

I agree, but I still feel he could improve enough to become one. Not every #1 C in the league was one right out of the draft.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'll agree with the OP. We need a real 1C. A guy who can consistently put up 60+ points, be good defensively, win face offs and lead an offense.

I think Jenner is good defensively and can win face offs. The 60 points I question. Leading an offense I question.

Maybe the lack of assists and leading the offense is because of the way we play offense. Get it deep and forecheck. If we had a skillful 1C maybe we could generate offense more from in front of the net.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'll agree with the OP. We need a real 1C. A guy who can consistently put up 60+ points, be good defensively, win face offs and lead an offense.

I think Jenner is good defensively and can win face offs. The 60 points I question. Leading an offense I question.

Maybe the lack of assists and leading the offense is because of the way we play offense. Get it deep and forecheck. If we had a skillful 1C maybe we could generate offense more from in front of the net.

I think Wennberg (C) and Milano (LW/RW) have the potential to get a lot of assists. Also, we have some D who have the potential to get a lot of assists. It would be great if we had an elite number one C, but I'm not too worried about having a C who can do specific things. I just want the best team possible.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
I agree, but I still feel he could improve enough to become one. Not every #1 C in the league was one right out of the draft.

He is Sweden, slow development is typical for them. One day he will be 1C

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This team isn't close to a playoff spot, even with said center.
It's probably more accurate to say that one cannot confidently predict such. The team's still young enough that there's still a very wide range of possible finishes, and many of them are still outside of the playoffs.

Of course, that was also true around this time last year, and we ended up with the extreme low.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't disagree. I never said pass up on a great C for a RW. I said our need for a C isn't as big as some think it is.

C:
Wennberg
Jenner
Dubinsky
Karlsson

RW:
Atkinson
Bjorkstrand
Anderson

Folks have to stop using the listed positions and watch the games. Saad is playing RW right now. Foligno has done it off and on for years. Jenner could probably do RW no problem. We probably haven't had him there because there is no shortage of RW.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know one way or the other if getting a #1C is such a pressing need. Getting more playmaking skill at forward in general is more important to me. Torts doesn't seem to have a system that uses centers much differently so the positional concern might be overblown.

You could get a RNH type guy, but the question will probably be there whether he is much of an upgrade on the Dubinsky/Jenner/Wennberg group. He would cost quite a bit. Edmonton is looking for a major D upgrade, and we don't have one to give. So it would take a big package like Dubinsky+Savard (spitballing), with some salary coming back to even it out.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Having a player like Backes as your 1C is pretty meh. Decent enough but not good enough to carry a team in the playoffs like a Kopitar or a Toews or a Bergeron. The goal scoring, physicality, and defense are there but there's a certain level of playmaking that's missing. Not to mention if your 1C is barely scraping 55-60 points and isn't producing Selke-caliber defence like the names listed above then your 1C is really a glorified 2C a la Dubinsky.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
In response to OP, winning the lottery and drafting Matthews is the only short term AND long term fix in my mind. It doesn't make sense to trade for a borderline 1C like RNH who already carries a 6m cap hit given our current situation and trading for or signing an older guy like Staal does nothing for us when our team is actually ready to compete.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So 10 more points is out of the question?

FYI, this was Jenner's March.

13 7 5 12 -3 10 272 1 77 47 62.097 17:56

I didn't say it was out of the question. If he was closer to 25-25 then I think it is more probable. To get there from 30-18 he needs something like 38-22. I don't see that. Foligno regressed to the norm and below this year, Prout used ot be a +15. I could see Jenner regressing too. Not saying he will just that I don't see him as a sure 60 pointer.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I could get behind a Jenner/Dubinsky - Matthews - Wennberg - Karlsson center position for a year or so before Matthews (hopefully) takes over as #1 C and pushes Dubinsky to 2nd line.

Jenner, though, has won 145 of 272 faceoffs this season. He's at 51% for his NHL career. On a team with centers who have sucked at winning FOs this season, that's huge. If you peg him on top 6 line at center, Dubi either moves to the wing or 3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad