Confirmed with Link: Goc to Blues for Lapierre

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Agreed!

And I heard in last nights broadcast that Lapierre since 2008 has never been a plus player. This move did not make the team better....

If +/- is what counts, then Goc hasn't had a positive season in the last 4 years either. And further, Lapierre had 3/4 seasons of positive +/- in the playoffs, while Goc hasn't had one since 2008.

The fact is - that it doesn't tell us much. Ehrhoff and Scuderi have the best +/- among the Penguins defense. Are those the best d-men the Penguins have?

Everyone knows that Goc is better defensively, though. The 4th line with him and Adams+Sill was a hodgepodge in the end, and it looks to me like they wanted a more clear identity there.

The identity will be mostly "trash" as long as Sill and Adams play. With Goc it was just a little more polished.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Zak Rinaldo reminds me of a guido.

zac-rinaldo-photo-1.jpg

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Sill's days here are coming to an end. Malkin and Comeau will be back and once that happens, no more Sill

I still think they'll need to swing a minor deal for a 4th liner that can force Adams out of the line-up if they don't feel they have that kind of player in the AHL.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
We have plenty of guys that should kick Adams out of the lineup, the coaches just refuse to do it. Lapierre was fine last night, he could definitely be a part of an awesome 4th line. He was making the D hesitate on their outlets which is unique for us. With goc gone we need guys that can make up for the loss of his possession though. For lapierre to be more useful than goc, he needs to be on the forecheck, not the back.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For me, i see Lappy being a slightly better playoff performer here than Goc. Just for the role of a 4C. Goc is a nice, safe player. Lappy can bring a little more to that role.

It would be nice if JR can grab Winnik still. Maybe he was gonna use Goc there to get himl though but Winnik and Lappy easily replace Adams PK'ing duties.

Another guy would be Erik Condra from the Sens or Bergenheim. I know Condra PK's and does it well. Don't know if Bergenheim does.

That or just pray Dupuis comes back quicker than expected for a Spaling-Lappy-Dupuis/Comeau/Downie 4th line.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
In a perfect world I'd want a 4th line with both Goc and Lapierre. Goc brings more speed and puck skills than your average 4th liner which is a nice safety net to ensure they don't get burned off the rush or don't get hemmed into their own end too much. Something like Comeau - Goc - Lapierre would be perfect. But right now this team needs a Lapierre more than it needs a Goc, hence the trade.

SarahCrash

Dec 17, 2005
St. Albert, AB
So far I am absolutely unimpressed with Lapierre. Sure, he is gritty and physical, but he does not increase our puck possession at all! And, I believe that a higher possession rate is exactly what this team needs to win against the league's best. Is JR ruining our team by picking what would have worked 10 years ago?

Last edited:

penguins2946*

So far I am absolutely unimpressed with Lapierre. Sure, he is gritty and physical, but man he does not increase our puck possession at all! And, I believe that is exactly what this team needs to win against the league's best- which we are no longer...

Everyone knew he wasn't a strong possession player. You just have to insulate him with good possession players. A Comeau-Lapierre duo on the 4th line would be very effective.

penguins2946*

Why do you want Comeau on the fourth line so badly?

Because his grit and strong possession numbers are a great fit for Lapierre, and I like the Downie-Sutter-Bennett 3rd line. If we add no one else, I'd put him with Geno, but we shouldn't be going into the playoffs with Comeau as one of our top-6 wingers.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Because his grit and strong possession numbers are a great fit for Lapierre, and I like the Downie-Sutter-Bennett 3rd line. If we add no one else, I'd put him with Geno, but we shouldn't be going into the playoffs with Comeau as one of our top-6 wingers.

He fit well with Malkin, but it seemed to me as if he was turning more into a shooter....less banging bodies and being physical, which fits his strengths more. So I'd like to see him on the 3/4 lines. But I wouldn't be upset if he played with Malkin again.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa

How many times does this have to be posted and how many times do I have to reiterate how misleading this chart is. Averaging out the values leaves only about a 2.5% Corsi-for difference and a ~1% or less difference in quality of competition. Goc is better, but not as good as this chart suggests.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So far I am absolutely unimpressed with Lapierre. Sure, he is gritty and physical, but he does not increase our puck possession at all! And, I believe that a higher possession rate is exactly what this team needs to win against the league's best. Is JR ruining our team by picking what would have worked 10 years ago?

He looked good last night. Give him time, this is a player that is getting smarter and knows when to play his game which is in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad