Post-Game Talk: Gobble gobble

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Me neither. Being "part of the plan" doesn't mean Holland thought Kindl, Smith and Ericsson would all turn into generational #1 d-men. Kronwall was always going to be the #1, maybe #2 if we landed Suter. What we needed was guys that replaced Rafalski, Stuart and Kronwall in the #2-4 slots. And I bet Holland thought at least one of Kindl and Smith would be able to step in there.

People somewhat overstate how far away from a solid defense we have been. If just ONE of Smith and Kindl had turned into a legit top-4 d-man we would not have been bad at all. What killed us that first year after Lids retired wasn't the Kronwall-Ericsson pairing. It was the other two pairings, until Dekeyser came in and gave us an okay 2nd pairing again.

Agreed.

I gave up on Kindl years ago and keep hoping Holland will too. Up until these last couple seasons though I still held out hope that Smith could get it together. Instead he seems like a very poor man's Jack Johnson.

edmundbenz

Mar 30, 2014
New Jersey
Winning games is a process that takes a little time, but I'm happy the Wings are playing well now compared 2 weeks ago, when all passes were painful to watch. LOL.

I'm positive there will be more games like this but they still have a room to improve and work on.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Lol, how often does middling packages return top pairing defensemen? It's unheard of. Why do you expect Ken Holland to pull off the impossible? Teams don't trade young top pairing defensemen for scraps. :laugh:

I'm not talking about middling packages. A package with something like Tatar, Mantha and a first is a good starting point. We've seen other gm's over the past couple years manage to land top paring defensman so it's not impossible. You just need to not be afraid to let go of your meaningful prospects and roster players

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm not talking about middling packages. A package with something like Tatar, Mantha and a first is a good starting point.

Two years ago Mantha was untouchable. Now he has little to no value. Tatar is a middle 6 scoring winger. Not exactly #1 dman worthy. If you have the balls to toss in Larkin, 1st and Nyquist along with Dekeyser/Tatar, you might get someone to listen... maybe. Is that the kind of balls you are referring to?

Lol @ Tatar and Mantha for a #1 defensman :laugh:

We've seen other gm's over the past couple years manage to land top paring defensman so it's not impossible. You just need to not be afraid to let go of your meaningful prospects and roster players

Who? Meyers for Bogo? Wings don't even have a Bogo to offer for Meyers. You know the other team needs to fill a need, too, right? Middle 6 wingers don't usually fill needs. You need to offer up Larkin's and/or top defenseman. While Kronwall and Dekeyser have value, they don't have enough value to package up with Larkin for a top bonafide #1 defensman alone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad