Goaltending Thread: Lehner vs. Anderson?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
And considering that Carolina is desperately trying to shed Cam's contract, Minnesota can get him for a song.

He's younger than Anderson and has a Conn Smythe and a Cup win. His contract is high, but he's still a little more proven.

Yeah, but you have to factor in recency. And recently, Anderson has been leaps and bounds better than Cam.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, but you have to factor in recency. And recently, Anderson has been leaps and bounds better than Cam.

True, but if they are actively persuing him, it doesn't matter that Anderson has been better lately. They think he can solve their current problems, so they won't pay a premium for a different option (even if it is a bit better).

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They are welcome to go after him. The problem is that he isn't a very good goaltender anymore. Could bounce back, but the last two years have erased his cup run, he has a lot to prove before he can be mentioned amongst the leagues better goalies again.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
And considering that Carolina is desperately trying to shed Cam's contract, Minnesota can get him for a song.

He's younger than Anderson and has a Conn Smythe and a Cup win. His contract is high, but he's still a little more proven.

hes not more proven. Hes had some great career highlights but hes far from his peak now. Anderson is at his peak and his peak happens to be very high. I could see them trading for Ward before andy and once Ward plays terrible in minni and they miss the playoffs they try to land andy this offseason by offering their first at the draft.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
They are welcome to go after him. The problem is that he isn't a very good goaltender anymore. Could bounce back, but the last two years have erased his cup run, he has a lot to prove before he can be mentioned amongst the leagues better goalies again.

He's actually having a really good bounce back year in Carolina. Considering the team he has in front of him.

Goalies can go hot and cold at will. Anderson is playing amazing now, but will GMs pay a premium for a guy who's coming off a bad year?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Cam Ward is wicked and proven even if it's been a while, he was unbelievable in 2006 (holy ****, that's almost 10 years ago...) and outside of injury problems, he's been solid ever since

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Cam Ward is wicked and proven even if it's been a while, he was unbelievable in 2006 (holy ****, that's almost 10 years ago...) and outside of injury problems, he's been solid ever since

Solid ever since???? Not really at all, people just like to drool at whatever is over the fence.

Andy has been a better goaltender for virtually his entire career, he just ins't shiny. Ward had a great playoffs, after a pretty weak performance in that regular season by the way, and has rather pedestrian stats, save for one season over .920. He has played on some good teams, and some bad ones, but as we have seen before and lately, as Carolina goes, so goes Ward. He is a bottom third starting tender in the league, and his stats back that up.

Andy has been lights out in several seasons, along with a couple off ones, and seems to elevate his game the more we suck. The worse we get as a team, the more Andy shines as our best single player, and the biggest difference maker between whether we win or lose. I don't think people realize that Andy has THREE sub .910 seasons in 13 years in the league, THREE (Ward has FIVE in 10 years). So far he has FIVE above .920, while Ward has ONE.

Since coming to Ottawa from Colorado, Andy has been a MUCH better goalie than Ward, and that's including his .911 from last year, his so called terrible year.

Is Andy the best tender in the league? No, though he can have games where he is. But his numbers stack up with some of the best tenders over the last several years, and on a mediocre team to boot. We pine for a top flight goalie, and when we finally get one people can't even see him. Wanting to trade him for whatever we can get because we might not compete in 5 years, or replace him with Cam freaking ward.

Some of you are like the girlfriend we all hate, just can't be pleased no matter what is put in front of you.

I for one am stoked that at least when I watch a sens game I'm treated to stellar goaltending on a near nightly basis. Simple enjoyments allow me to still enjoy watching a losing team.

My opinions as always,

End rant

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He's actually having a really good bounce back year in Carolina. Considering the team he has in front of him.

Goalies can go hot and cold at will. Anderson is playing amazing now, but will GMs pay a premium for a guy who's coming off a bad year?

.911 is hardly a bad year, it is however an off year for a good goaltender. All the best tenders have had a few sub .920 seasons.

Last year has been blown out of proportion on this board, as all things generally are. Makes for more dramatic discussions if we constantly bounce back from extremes I guess.

And I don't want to hear "did you even watch the games???" Because I did, SV% doesn't lie, especially when you're backstopping arguably the worst playing squad we have iced for a season in a loooong time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad