Goaltending Thread: Lehner vs. Anderson?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I have read lots of comments lately that "if it wasn't for our goaltending, we'd suck"
I don't understand that at all. This franchise had awesome teams for a solid 10+ years but unfortunately had less than high end goaltending. Probably cost us a Cup or two. But here we are with an average hockey team and two pretty darn good goalies and all you read on these boards is .....if it wasn't for our goalies. Wake up. They are part of the team. We've never had high end NHL goaltending, now that we do please stop *****ing about it or complaining that this is all our team is.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Look at where we are in the standings, we aren't a playoff team. And when someone says 'it it weren't for our goaltending we'd suck' that is a compliment to our goalies, saying that we would be worse without them. Not sure why you would think someone saying this is slighting our goalies. I apologize if I misunderstood your post.

The fact though is that goaltending has been our strongest area this season.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I have read lots of comments lately that "if it wasn't for our goaltending, we'd suck"
I don't understand that at all. This franchise had awesome teams for a solid 10+ years but unfortunately had less than high end goaltending. Probably cost us a Cup or two. But here we are with an average hockey team and two pretty darn good goalies and all you read on these boards is .....if it wasn't for our goalies. Wake up. They are part of the team. We've never had high end NHL goaltending, now that we do please stop *****ing about it or complaining that this is all our team is.
We are better than we should be because of our goaltending. It is very rare when a goaltender single-handedly gets you to a Cup finals let alone win one.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
people are also saying we need to get rid of the good goaltending so we can tank. I believe this is what the OP is about.

As far as I am concerned... people wanting our team to tank need to find another team like the Oilers.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
people are also saying we need to get rid of the good goaltending so we can tank. I believe this is what the OP is about.

As far as I am concerned... people wanting our team to tank need to find another team like the Oilers.

As noted I am a massive Andy fan, but if you could possibly move him for a piece to make this team better like a D to play with Karlsson you have to consider it.

The questions to me are this though. What's the market for Anderson? Does management feel Lehner is the guy and ready to play 70 games a season?

Obviously if there is no return that knocks your socks off I think trading Andy is stupid. But like anything you have to consider it. So in essence it would be the opposite of a tank it would be a move to hopefully make the team better. Andy for potential and prospects is not what I'd want to see.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think our goaltending has been good so far this season but not great with the exception of a game or two. Price & Rinne have been great & there is never a question from anyone as to how they are going to play game in & game out, same for Lunquist. I find that both our goalies seem to let in at least one stinker in almost every game but would agree that it could have been worse without them in most games this yr.

I like the Anderson/Lehner tandem & have said so for a while & if Lehner ever takes over the #1 job it is nice to have an older mentor to be around to calm things down when they start to go south. I would be surprised if Anderson is made available at the deadline considering he just signed to stay for 3 yrs unless it's a deal they can't say no to. I also look forward to seeing how Hoggberg will do when he comes over.

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
Craig Anderson is unbelievably good considering the hand he's been dealt in this team'd defencive core and defencive system.

I have no doubt we'd be below Buffalo if not for Anderson.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

If we had Anderson playing as good as he is now with our 2003-2007 team, we'd probably own a cup or 2 now.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
What would people prefer:

A good team with bad goaltending or a bad team with good goaltending?

A good goalie is 1 man, and thats all it takes to have good goaltending, so for myself I'd much rather have a collection of good players (ie a good team).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Anderson has been terrific. I just hate how he picked last year as the year to have a down year. Yea our D was brutal and offense wasn't clicking but I wonder if the team would have rebounded and got their **** together if he was stealing strings of games like he is this year or the year before. Then again the entire system was in shabbles and Spezza's line couldn't be saved by anyone.

Ah well.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Anderson alternates good and bad years.

Now if we could just get Lehner to have great years on Anderson's down years...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Anderson alternates good and bad years.

Now if we could just get Lehner to have great years on Anderson's down years...

Thats such a simplistic way of looking at it. I wont argue that it looks that way but it really irks me because theres absolutely no reason for him to suddenly be bad for one whole year and good the next.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I wonder when Lehner will finally break out. He's still young at 23 with only 75 games played. Maybe its a matter of getting more consistent minutes, but I'm really optimistic he can eventually take his game to the next level. In the meantime we are lucky to have Anderson.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I like the Anderson/Lehner tandem & have said so for a while & if Lehner ever takes over the #1 job it is nice to have an older mentor to be around to calm things down when they start to go south. I would be surprised if Anderson is made available at the deadline considering he just signed to stay for 3 yrs unless it's a deal they can't say no to. I also look forward to seeing how Hoggberg will do when he comes over.

I concur with this. Anderson signed a friendly deal as well. He seems to be able to park his ego and work as a team with Lehner. By next season, I can see a 50/50 split between the two of them. Lehner should eclipse Anderson at some point as well. Anderson is also the Insurance Policy in case he does not.

One of our 2nds this draft might go to a goalie if the right one is still there.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm a little worried about Lehner, to be honest. We all know he has amazing potential. I just don't know if we're grooming him the right way.

It feels to me like he's one of those guys that needs a lot of time on the ice in order to improve. He isn't a "practice" player, in that he can work one-on-one and improve (like Cowen did earlier this year).

I have a feeling we might look back on his career in another 10-15 years and realize what a big mistake it was to bring him up from Bingo so early just to sit him on the bench.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Logical idea for a team that looks as though it'll be in rebuild mode for the next 1-2 years is to ship Anderson out, give Lehner the starts he craves and deserves on a non-playoff team, and see what you can get for Anderson.

Plenty of teams would be in the market for Andy. His trade value will decline sharply over the next few years.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Logical idea for a team that looks as though it'll be in rebuild mode for the next 1-2 years is to ship Anderson out, give Lehner the starts he craves and deserves on a non-playoff team, and see what you can get for Anderson.

Plenty of teams would be in the market for Andy. His trade value will decline sharply over the next few years.

What starts does Lehner deserve that he isn't getting?

I feel like there is always this sentiment on here that Lehner is unfairly being held back, which is nonsense. He's had some injuries and even still has 14 games vs 24 for Anderson, and his stats are way worse across the board.

I'm not writing him off, he's still a developing prospect, but he's getting the ice time he has earned.

Also Anderson's trade value even now would be pretty low - nobody pays for goalies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
What starts does Lehner deserve that he isn't getting?

I feel like there is always this sentiment on here that Lehner is unfairly being held back, which is nonsense. He's had some injuries and even still has 14 games vs 24 for Anderson, and his stats are way worse across the board.

I'm not writing him off, he's still a developing prospect, but he's getting the ice time he has earned.

Also Anderson's trade value even now would be pretty low - nobody pays for goalies.

That is not exactly true. Ott + Miller pretty much got a 1st + Stewart from the Blues.

Desperate teams will pay. Minnesota might be one team in a desperate need of a goalie.

Having said that, Anderson will not be traded.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I concur with this. Anderson signed a friendly deal as well. He seems to be able to park his ego and work as a team with Lehner. By next season, I can see a 50/50 split between the two of them. Lehner should eclipse Anderson at some point as well. Anderson is also the Insurance Policy in case he does not.

One of our 2nds this draft might go to a goalie if the right one is still there.

I don't know if they would draft a goalie this yr, they have Dreidger in Bingo & Hoggberg in Sweden who IMO seems ahead of Dreidger just based on their play during the development camp, Hoggberg was the better goalie. I wonder if he'll come over next yr to play in Bingo or play in Sweden. Anderson has signed for 3 yrs & Lehner has also resigned for a few yrs. I'm not sure another goalie is required, should also be interesting what they do with Hammond & Greenham in Bingo after the season if either are re-signed.

I don't necessarily agree with this, every team needs good goaltending & most teams like to build from the net out. First, I'm not sure Anderson returns a high level player or prospect or 1st rd pick, we may get another 2nd & a prospect with potential. Ottawa didn't do all that well when we traded Bishop. Ottawa doesn't have enough depth at goaltending at this point to trade Anderson & without Anderson Ottawa could be in the lottery which is probably what you want. I think Anderson will be traded or more likely not re-signed when one of Dreidger or Hoggberg are NHL ready to be backups in the NHL which could be at the end of his contract.

That is not exactly true. Ott + Miller pretty much got a 1st + Stewart from the Blues.

Desperate teams will pay. Minnesota might be one team in a desperate need of a goalie.

Having said that, Anderson will not be traded.
I don't think we can say that Anderson is in the same category as a star goalie like Miller has been in his career in the NHL. Anderson has always been a hot or cold goalie per game or having a good yr, then a bad yr. While occasionally allowing stinkers from time to time, he has been fairly steady this season & along with Lehner are a decent tandem. Still waiting for them to win the Jennings together or for one of them, hopefully Lehner to one day win best goalie. I don't think Anderson is worth a first especially in this draft yr & I also doubt he`s moved this yr.

IMO Ottawa is set in goal for a few yrs & should look to improve their bottom six forward lines & I think that will happen this next yr. I don't see anyone taking Michalek's contract or Greening, or Legwand or Phillips. Methot has all kinds of concerns around his health & could also be difficult to move by the deadline, if he doesn't re-sign. Neil has some value to teams but I'm not so sure he will want to leave & I doubt Murray pushes a good soldier for this team out. While most think they need to upgrade their defence due to contracts & the inability to move a defenceman they could be stuck again with this defence for next season & again hope they just get better.

I could see one of those guys being waived (likely Greening), to get out of the contract & make room on the roster. Condra is likely gone at the end of the season too. While we would like to see some deals done I think Murray will have a tough time with the players he wants to move & he won't want to deal a good young player & create a hole in his lineup. I would guess they will wait until summer to see where they are at & what needs to change on the roster going forward. The changes I see for this yr are waiving Greening, letting Condra walk at the end of the season & trading Methot, if possible. That opens up three roster spots.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lehner has been bad this year so our goaltending isn't looking all that great moving forward since Anderson is getting close to the dreaded 35 years of age

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Stealing a couple of games doesn't make it a good year if he's been bad outside of those games

It makes a bad year with a couple of good games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad