HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Colorado and Roy? LMFAO

Did you even read my comment? Did I not say since the 05 lockout? Do you know what else started in 05-06? Any guesses champ? The hard cap. Very important variable in the equation which is why I used that for my timeline. Not too difficult to comprehend

Reactions: cphabs

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dichow after losing his first 4 games in his debut in Allsvenskan, he's now won his next 3 and has given up just 3 goals over that span after giving up 17 in his first 4.

Dobes is just on fire to start his NCAA career, he's played in 4 1/2 games and so far he's given up more then 1 goal in just 1 game and that was his only loss as he gave up 2 goals last night.

Vrbetic has been more inconsistent so we'll see how he does as the season goes on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sagikev and Tyson

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Goalie prospects don't matter in our system, they are never given an opportunity to play, then we blame them for not becoming anything,

Well, give them a chance, and they might become something,

Stop acquiring more goalies like niemi, Montoya, allen, scrivens, montebooo, etc etc,

Give the kids a chance to play, and they might pan out

Who really believes montebooo is any better than primeau or mcnevin?
He’s better then McNiven who’s not really good no doubt and Primeau need to play

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hoping montreal gets a chance to do the highlight package for last nights game since i believe he was saying their opponent was the best opposition to this point.

Reactions: bopeep

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
He’s better then McNiven who’s not really good no doubt and Primeau need to play

Development again. McNiven looked like he could be really good at times, but he never got playing time because he was always behind others. Looks reasonable that he's behind Primeau, though, and the damage may be done, he needed to play games when he was younger.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hoping montreal gets a chance to do the highlight package for last nights game since i believe he was saying their opponent was the best opposition to this point.

I'll have all the games where Dobes is either at home or they play a Big 10 team.

Last nights highlights are in the prospect sticked thread

Reactions: Tyson

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Dobes with another win, 5-2 against a very good Penn State team.

big win for Dobes as he stopped 33 of 35. Anytime a non ranked team can beat a nationally ranked team it's good for them. Penn St came into the game 6-1 on the season and 16th OA in the nation. The high shot totals are misleading as Penn State is known for getting lots of shots as they will shoot from anywhere.

For some reason the Ohio St broadcast wasn't doing replays of the goals but this time they did so you can get a closer look at what happened.

Dobes on the season, 5-1, 1.07 gaa, .959 save %

Dobes looks legit, could be a good one.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's having an excellent freshman season, in a hard conference to boot. Definitely shades of Cayden Primeau there.

More size and athleticism to Dobes - technique wise he's a bit behind Primeau, I'd say higher upside than Primeau but lower floor.

Aggressive in the net except on the 2nd goal where he was caught too deep on the screened shot, nice finish though.

Reactions: Fenris

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
More size and athleticism to Dobes - technique wise he's a bit behind Primeau, I'd say higher upside than Primeau but lower floor.

Aggressive in the net except on the 2nd goal where he was caught too deep on the screened shot, nice finish though.
I was only referring to how good his freshman season is going, which is very much like how it went for Primeau. Style wise I don't necessarily see a ton in common, outside of the more general stuff like size( both are pretty big) . He seems like a better natural athlete .

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I was only referring to how good his freshman season is going, which is very much like how it went for Primeau. Style wise I don't necessarily see a ton in common, outside of the more general stuff like size( both are pretty big) . He seems like a better natural athlete .

Ah gotcha - misinterpeted what you meant.

Absolutely, the numbers are very similar so far in their dominance.. I'm excited with what I'm seeing from Dobes so far.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
This is Dobes' D+3 season though, right? He was eligible for the 2019 draft, so this is his 20 year old season.

Primeau's freshman season was his 18 year old season. He was in Laval for his 20yo season.

Not trying to diminish anything, his numbers are amazing. Primeau's performance especially at that age was incredible though

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
At the same age Primeau was in the AHL in Laval. Good to see Dobes play that good, you never know with goalies, but he is 20.

He's having an excellent freshman season, in a hard conference to boot. Definitely shades of Cayden Primeau there.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Development again. McNiven looked like he could be really good at times, but he never got playing time because he was always behind others. Looks reasonable that he's behind Primeau, though, and the damage may be done, he needed to play games when he was younger.
Montembault and Mcniven are in the same group of age, Development can bean make for both and I prefer Sam skills set (bigger and better technique) then McNiven. I agree that we didn't give a chance to Zach Fucale who I think he could had an NHL career but I don't think McNiven would have been better elsewhere, I just never saw anything special in Mcniven

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

both did come in and steal the starters job as Freshman, though I don't expect Dobes to continue to put up these kinds of numbers, so we'll see what happens.

This is Dobes' D+3 season though, right? He was eligible for the 2019 draft, so this is his 20 year old season.

Primeau's freshman season was his 18 year old season. He was in Laval for his 20yo season.

Not trying to diminish anything, his numbers are amazing. Primeau's performance especially at that age was incredible though

correct, Primeau had an outstanding age 18 season, it ranks among the best in NCAA history, if you don't count the 3 goalies that played in just 11 and 18 games, he's got the best gaa of any U-19 goalie in NCAA history.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ncaa/stats/all-time-season?age=u19

the same can be said for his save % but tied with recent 1st round pick Spencer Knight,

Elite Prospects - NCAA Stats All-time season

Reactions: RandomTask26

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

If I'm honest, I never saw Dobes play, but I prefer a goalie with the size and the athleticism with an ok technique what It can be work on, then the opposite where you can't really work on size/athleticism

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If I'm honest, I never saw Dobes play, but I prefer a goalie with the size and the athleticism with an ok technique what It can be work on, then the opposite where you can't really work on size/athleticism

It's kind of what hindered Fucale.. technique was he was the best 16 year old I've ever seen, but as he went up the levels, there wasn't enough athleticism and size to handle players who can shoot harder and find their spots easier.

Draft goalies with size and athleticism and refine the technique. I look for active hands, active eyes and compete on plays where structure breaks down.

Its why I was so high on Dostal and he's looking like one of the best goalie prospects not in the NHL.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Fun fact: for the past 10 years and I think all but 3-4 times since the 05 lockout, teams that have won the cup have either drafted or developed their goalie. Teams that go for Ufa/trade for goalies don't win at all besides the very very rare case

I also prefer we develop our own goalies/players, but your definition of "very rare" and mine is nowhere near the same. I do not call "3-4 times" in the "past 10 years", "very rare". Very rare is less than 5% to me, but that is just me.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
I also prefer we develop our own goalies/players, but your definition of "very rare" and mine is nowhere near the same. I do not call "3-4 times" in the "past 10 years", "very rare". Very rare is less than 5% to me, but that is just me.
He's saying every winner for the past 10 years drafted/developed their goalie and since the 2005 lockout, 3-4 times they haven't been. Still might not qualify as 'very rare' but probably just splitting hairs there.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

I think you misread my comment. In the last 10 years, ONLY teams who drafted/developed their goalies won the cup (2012-2021). If you include Tim Thomas because he only played for Boston therefore being developed by them and Providence, there were ONLY 1 goalie SINCE the 2005 that were not drafted/developed by their team were apart of Stanley Cup winners. That goalie was Giguere in 2007. Although Osgoode in 2008 was drafted and developed by Detroit, traded, and then returned and won a cup. So if you want to be very technical, only 1 goalie since 2005 that was neither drafted/developed/started their career with their respective team won a cup. Thats 6.25%. I don't know if that qualifies as rare to you but I think it supports my overall argument

Last edited:
Reactions: Sagikev

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So Dichow goes 0-4 to start the season, gives up 17 goals in the 4 games. Then the next 4 games he goes 4-0 and gives up just 4 goals total. What the f*** is that about. The first 3 games he played in October he gives up 15 goals and now he's the backup and has been on fire.

Also big test for Dobes this weekend vs Minnesota.

Reactions: Sagikev

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Primeau masterful in the net yesterday, thats why I had this kid at the top of our prospects list some yrs ago. He can really dominate when he is on. I still projects him as a top 10-15 starter in the league.

Norlinder was a bit lost positionally, his defensive game is not there yet and very few flashes on the offensive side. They will probably try him for a couple of games with the Habs since that season is lost anyway.
I totally disagree on Primeau. He's been very inconsistent in his ahl career (and nhl games). He looked dialed in last night, but he was playing against echl players. Belleville was decimated and had none of their top forwards. Primeau as a top 10-15 starter in the NHL? You're in for a huge disappointment. The Habs need to be drafting a goaltender (higher than the 4th round) soon!

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I totally disagree on Primeau. He's been very inconsistent in his ahl career (and nhl games). He looked dialed in last night, but he was playing against echl players. Belleville was decimated and had none of their top forwards. Primeau as a top 10-15 starter in the NHL? You're in for a huge disappointment. The Habs need to be drafting a goaltender (higher than the 4th round) soon!

Name me 1 goaltender who hasnt been inconsistent at the start of his pro carreer? Even Price had his struggling nights and softies.

Its well known, goaltender is the longest position to develop, it takes time, thats mentally very tough since the goaltender is the 1st one people will blame for a goal, alot of pressure, alot of expections, but I think Primeau is mentally very strong to handle the job in MTL and deliver. Only prob, he will be constantly compared to Price, but kid should get a better team in front of him over his carreer. so he will be fine.

Primeau has the size, the skills, a high compete, cant see him miss at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad