Player Discussion Goaltending for 2020-21 and beyond

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Question becomes can we actually develop the next Carey Price though.

Closest thing the Flames have had to a home grown NHL goalies for the last 20+ years is Ortio and Irving.

Is this Mr. Singalet character really that good of a goalie coach?
Have gotten nothing much out of any draft picks and Rittich was a fortunate free agent find with a personal goal of being the best he can be and retaining his character which is "fun". Maybe a fresh set of eyes and personality and demeanor with his " students" is needed, as in a new Goalie coach and Scout(s)?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Is this Mr. Singalet character really that good of a goalie coach?
Have gotten nothing much out of any draft picks and Rittich was a fortunate free agent find with a personal goal of being the best he can be and retaining his character which is "fun". Maybe a fresh set of eyes and personality and demeanor with his " students" is needed, as in a new Goalie coach and Scout(s)?

Other than Gilles and Rittich, Sigalet has never spent more than 2 seasons working with any goalie and most of the goalies he has worked with are all vets that have their own thing they want to do. I don't think he's really ever been given an opportunity to truly mentor a goalie yet.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I don't think he's really ever been given an opportunity to truly mentor a goalie yet.
Which is definitely saying something. Because he has been with the organization since 2011 (2011-14 with our AHL team, and 15-20 at the NHL level). Though I think he had Ortio for pretty much his entire time with the Flames (3 years in the AHL, and I believe 2 years in the NHL though one of them was pretty limited). And that one didn't turn out super well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Our development of goalies has been atrocious. Irving, Ortio, Gillies, McDonald, Parsons. I am not saying it Siglet's fault, but honestly I think 90% of other goalie coaches would have been replaced by now. I am surprised he is still here. I wish we would hire Jamie McLennan as our coach.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Which is definitely saying something. Because he has been with the organization since 2011 (2011-14 with our AHL team, and 15-20 at the NHL level). Though I think he had Ortio for pretty much his entire time with the Flames (3 years in the AHL, and I believe 2 years in the NHL though one of them was pretty limited). And that one didn't turn out super well.

Actually, no. From what I understand it wasn't Sigalet's fault. There was actually some chaos and confusion with Malarchuk for a little bit so Sigalet was bouncing up and down between AHL and NHL for a short period of time IIRC and we also had a heck of a goalie carousel going on for a bit as well.

Our development of goalies has been atrocious. Irving, Ortio, Gillies, McDonald, Parsons. I am not saying it Siglet's fault, but honestly I think 90% of other goalie coaches would have been replaced by now. I am surprised he is still here. I wish we would hire Jamie McLennan as our coach.

Actually, I want Sean Burke. But he wants an AGM role which we can't offer because we have like 3 AGM...

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space

Rittich has developed fairly well here, but yeah I agree with you.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Except most of our goalies are failing before getting to the NHL and Sigalet is our goalie coach for the Flames. As far as I know he isn't spending his time in Stockton or the ECHL with our goalies.

Most of guys we draft see like 1-2 games max at the NHL level, look like shit and get released.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Except most of our goalies are failing before getting to the NHL and Sigalet is our goalie coach for the Flames. As far as I know he isn't spending his time in Stockton or the ECHL with our goalies.

Most of guys we draft see like 1-2 games max at the NHL level, look like shit and get released.

Can’t really say I disagree. I mean Ortio, Irving, Gillies have all had moderate to decent to success in the AHL, but nothing to write home about. I think organizationally it’s been a major issue.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If no one on the farm is ready for regular NHL duties and we move on from Talbot... I am still intrigued by Jake Allen.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
A good platoon goalie with potential for more than just backup performance. Again, assuming the kids are not ready for full time back up duties.

Is St. Louis retaining half? Cause wefinally have some cap space and I'd hate to waste 4.3 million of it on Jake Allen.

One good season on the defending Champs who were tied for 2nd in the NHL when the season ended doesn't make me excited for him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Is St. Louis retaining half? Cause wefinally have some cap space and I'd hate to waste 4.3 million of it on Jake Allen.

One good season on the defending Champs who were tied for 2nd in the NHL when the season ended doesn't make me excited for him.

Fair. Maybe half is a bit much, but SR to 3 mil might be OK for STL?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Fair. Maybe half is a bit much, but SR to 3 mil might be OK for STL?

Which would be close to what we paid Talbot, so not awful.

I just think it's a high risk option. I'd rather go a safer bet like Greiss, albeit it's not a long term option.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Which would be close to what we paid Talbot, so not awful.

I just think it's a high risk option. I'd rather go a safer bet like Greiss, albeit it's not a long term option.

Greiss isn't a bad option either, but I just have an odd hunch that Allen might figure out how to be a solid 1A starter in the next few seasons if given another shot at starter on a different team.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Greiss isn't a bad option either, but I just have an odd hunch that Allen might figure out how to be a solid 1A starter in the next few seasons if given another shot at starter on a different team.

I guess I just struggle with the idea of a 30 year old suddenly finding it, after a so long that the Blues needed him to become a starter. It's not impossible, especially since goalies are voodoo, but I just struggle to want to risk it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I guess I just struggle with the idea of a 30 year old suddenly finding it, after a so long that the Blues needed him to become a starter. It's not impossible, especially since goalies are voodoo, but I just struggle to want to risk it.

Kipper and Markstrom figured it out around the age of 28 and Kipper went from sub .900 to awesome with a change of scenery. I get what you mean though.

Allen does indeed make some bonkers saves, but his overall seems a bit flimsy and weak. I don't think it's a horrible situation for him to platoon Rittich for one year though. He did his best platooning with Elliott and struggled as a full on starter for the Blues.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I'd go after Matt Murray if the Pens decide to move him. He had a rough year but he's still just 26, is a proven starter, and has 48 playoff starts under his belt already (0.921 career save% in the playoffs) and a Cup. He and Jarry are both RFAs so I doubt the Pens keep both, because Murray will want a starter contract and Jarry will probably want a platoon goalie contract because he played half the Pens games this year and outperformed Murray.

Conversely, if they decide to keep Murray, I would target Jarry and then platoon him with Rittich.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I'd go after Matt Murray if the Pens decide to move him. He had a rough year but he's still just 26, is a proven starter, and has 48 playoff starts under his belt already (0.921 career save% in the playoffs) and a Cup. He and Jarry are both RFAs so I doubt the Pens keep both, because Murray will want a starter contract and Jarry will probably want a platoon goalie contract because he played half the Pens games this year and outperformed Murray.

Conversely, if they decide to keep Murray, I would target Jarry and then platoon him with Rittich.
After those cup runs Murray has been inconsistent and mired with issues--going after Murray in the midst of that isn't something I see helping the team. Our biggest issues have been with having inconsistent goaltending from season to season, and even in season. Murray is going to be looking for more than other options that are cheaper but also just as good. If the Flames want to pay big starter bucks, go after Markstrom and trade Rittich, and hope someone in the farm/a cheap option can fill in. I'd prefer that over Murray.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Agreed. Markstrom is another I'm intrigued by. I feel like Weisbrod would love Janko and Gilles' rights. there could be a fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad