Player Discussion Goaltending for 2020-21 and beyond

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-june-18-2020/

In today’s NHL rumor rundown, is there a chance goaltender Braden Holtby winds up with the Calgary Flames? What will Kyle Palmieri do in terms of a contract extension? Will he stay with the New Jersey Devils or try to hit it out of the park in free agency? In Columbus, will the Blue Jackets move Josh Anderson? Finally, is Kevan Miller’s NHL career essentially over?
Andrew Berkshire of Sportsnet wrote in his mailbag column that Braden Holtby and his free agency situation will be an interesting story to watch. Coming off of three mediocre seasons, Berkishire wonders if he’ll need to prove he’s still capable of being starter.
He might be looking for a one-year deal on a team that has no sure-fire starter and will offer him an opportunity to play a ton of games. Berkshire believes that team could be the Calgary Flames, where Holtby can support (or perhaps easily outplay) David Rittich and the Flames wouldn’t have to rush Dustin Wolf.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
1 year of Holtby on the cheap could work. I don't like the phrasing of "perhaps easily outplay", throw some respecc on my boy Rittich, but if he takes a cheap-ish contract to rebuild value for one year here that could be a huge steal if we ice a competitive lineup in front of them.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Signing Holtby would be a mistake. He's been trending downward.

I think a 1-2 year deal would be fine, even at something like 5-6M. If he tanks then oh well, the contract will be off the books. If he plays to his ability then great, we have a sure fire #1 during a year or two of our window.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think a 1-2 year deal would be fine, even at something like 5-6M. If he tanks then oh well, the contract will be off the books. If he plays to his ability then great, we have a sure fire #1 during a year or two of our window.

But if I'm Holtby, I am wanting a Bobrovsky-like contract.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
But if I'm Holtby, I am wanting a Bobrovsky-like contract.
With the way the cap is trending, this seems highly unlikely. Goalie Bob put up .931, .921, .913 prior to to his contract. Holtby? .907, .911, .897 on a far better team which for that first year was a Barry Trotz-coached team.

The idea that he might need a "prove it" contract is very valid.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
With the way the cap is trending, this seems highly unlikely. Goalie Bob put up .931, .921, .913 prior to to his contract. Holtby? .907, .911, .897 on a far better team which for that first year was a Barry Trotz-coached team.

The idea that he might need a "prove it" contract is very valid.

You're probably right, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility Holtby wants term. I can see us pursuing him if we really **** the bed in the playoffs with Rittich and Talbot.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Platoon Holtby would be great. Contract with term Holtby is probably going to be a disaster.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It’s crazy to see the Flames penciling Wolf in as the goalie of the future already.

we’ve seen this before. Why you gotta get my hopes up? Just why?

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
It’s crazy to see the Flames penciling Wolf in as the goalie of the future already.

we’ve seen this before. Why you gotta get my hopes up? Just why?

How could you not!
Teen Wolf.jpg

Reactions: Fig and super6646

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I think Gillies is done in Calgary, he was pretty poor in pre-season (like, noticeably shaky) and hasn't been lights out in Stockton or anything.

Our depth chart for G is pretty depressing, Wolf is the only bright light. Rittich has been pedestrian this season, although I still think he can be a number one if he works on his fitness. I'd want to re-sign Talbot for next season and would be content with rolling Rittich/Talbot again, but Talbot has made it clear he's not interested in a back-up role next season and we can't promise him that here.

I'd bring up Parsons to the AHL and keep Zag there and split time between them, probably sign a AHL-level goalie to provide some competition. Let Wolf marinate in the dub for one more year then bring him into the org. in 21-22 and go from there.
Don't rule out the shaggy Z Zaggyman. He has pro level instincts and is athletic in the crease. Needed in Flames penchant for giving up golden scoring chances in their own end. Move on from Gillies. A mere "dud" 5 years running? Move on from him. Schneider could be a decent local boy depth, call- up emergency fill-in. Parsons???? Not sure what to expect? Another Gillies molasses experiment? Or, could he surpass set backs and rise to initial potential expectations? Waiting on the Wolf-man to be in his prime and killing it in net for the Flames. Probably 3 to 4 years away.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Wasted on a goalie!! How have ourhigher picks on a goalie gone lately???
Much more need to draft and develop. We have Wolf to develop right now.

would it be that bad though? I mean if he really is the next Carey Price...

we’ve had below average goaltending for like a decade.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
1 year of Holtby on the cheap could work. I don't like the phrasing of "perhaps easily outplay", throw some respecc on my boy Rittich, but if he takes a cheap-ish contract to rebuild value for one year here that could be a huge steal if we ice a competitive lineup in front of them.
However, if Holtby were attained and did outplay Big Save Dave, wouldn't that be a win for Flames?!

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
would it be that bad though? I mean if he really is the next Carey Price...

we’ve had below average goaltending for like a decade.

Question becomes can we actually develop the next Carey Price though.

Closest thing the Flames have had to a home grown NHL goalies for the last 20+ years is Ortio and Irving.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Question becomes can we actually develop the next Carey Price though.

Closest thing the Flames have had to a home grown NHL goalies for the last 20+ years is Ortio and Irving.

yeah it’s pretty pathetic.

but he would develop in Russia I am guessing like most Russian goalies do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad