Waived: Goaltender Mike McKenna (PHI)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
They had the roster room and cap space to carry a third goalie in case Stolarz wasn't fully healed. It was an insurance move so that they didn't end up in a predicament exactly like the one Vancouver was in.

Now that Elliott is healthy, they don't need McKenna as insurance.
It really is that simple.

Stolie was coming off an injury again and the Flyers hedged their bets. If they waived McKenna a few weeks ago, then Stolie got hurt, then all the sudden Lyon would have to be called up and 2 ECHL goalies would be in the ECHL.

Or they actually would have had to trade an asset for a guy like Talbot.

But now with Elliott cleared to play, and now Talbot, they had 4 goalies. And I 100% think they hope McKenna clears so the Phantoms can send their ECHL goal back down and have Lyon/McKenna for the stretch run trying to make AHL playoffs.

What becomes interesting, is does Elliott get traded before the deadline? I think if McKenna clears, he does.

Reactions: pit

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It really is that simple.

Stolie was coming off an injury again and the Flyers hedged their bets. If they waived McKenna a few weeks ago, then Stolie got hurt, then all the sudden Lyon would have to be called up and 2 ECHL goalies would be in the ECHL.

Or they actually would have had to trade an asset for a guy like Talbot.

But now with Elliott cleared to play, and now Talbot, they had 4 goalies. And I 100% think they hope McKenna clears so the Phantoms can send their ECHL goal back down and have Lyon/McKenna for the stretch run trying to make AHL playoffs.

What becomes interesting, is does Elliott get traded before the deadline? I think if McKenna clears, he does.

thanks. i guess i can understand the fear of relapse when goalies keep getting hurt. i feel that way about demko right now.

the flyers have waived mckenna right after the canucks signed leighton so i am sure they hope to get him to the ahl. i think though there is a decent shot the canucks claim mckenna since their current ahl backup kulbalkov is an echl goalie, and i don't think they can be sure demko will stay healthy with the season he is having. even if there is more than one claim to mckenna, they can currently still re-assign mazanac to the ahl without waivers and keep mckenna in the nhl earning that big league paycheck and hopefully placating his wife.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
thanks. i guess i can understand the fear of relapse when goalies keep getting hurt. i feel that way about demko right now.

the flyers have waived mckenna right after the canucks signed leighton so i am sure they hope to get him to the ahl. i think though there is a decent shot the canucks claim mckenna since their current ahl backup kulbalkov is an echl goalie, and i don't think they can be sure demko will stay healthy with the season he is having. even if there is more than one claim to mckenna, they can currently still re-assign mazanac to the ahl without waivers and keep mckenna in the nhl earning that big league paycheck and hopefully placating his wife.
Canucks need to keep # of contracts open to sign Hughes and likely Lockwood should Michigan not make the frozen four.

Philly worked the system. They sent MCKenna on a conditioning stint to the AHL while Stolarz returned and got NHL starts. Managed to drag it out long enough until Elliott was healthy and they had to finally waive him. Out waited the Canucks.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Good for McKenna, getting some games in at 35 years old, getting some jerseys, and making a little NHL money at the tail end. Wouldn't be surprised to see him try to play a couple more years in the AHL. Dude clearly just loves playing if he's stuck it out this long. Glad he got a bit of NHL time at the end

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Canucks need to keep # of contracts open to sign Hughes and likely Lockwood should Michigan not make the frozen four.

Philly worked the system. They sent MCKenna on a conditioning stint to the AHL while Stolarz returned and got NHL starts. Managed to drag it out long enough until Elliott was healthy and they had to finally waive him. Out waited the Canucks.

looks like canucks have 47 contracts including leighton. so they could do it, but i would agree they do not want to get to 50.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
So the Flyers paid McKenna $700K for 6 weeks when he could have been making the $175K rate in the AHL. His wife should be happy, he has money for a new car for her. Let's face it, a 35 yr old with 34 NHL games played is lucky to get an NHL jersey, never mind make $700K. He'll look back fondly on these days after he retires this summer and takes a job making $50K to scout or be a roving goalie coach in the minors.

It's prorated. He never made 700k.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Nice. Philly's gone through so many goalies the past few years, that now its a big conspiracy as to why they are actually waiving one.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Good for McKenna, getting some games in at 35 years old, getting some jerseys, and making a little NHL money at the tail end. Wouldn't be surprised to see him try to play a couple more years in the AHL. Dude clearly just loves playing if he's stuck it out this long. Glad he got a bit of NHL time at the end

His wife doesn't feel that way though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad