Waived: Goaltender Mike McKenna (PHI)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Vancouver would have but got Mrzanek and Leighton now so doubt it.........he could clear and go to the AHL this time around.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
When they claimed McKenna, they had three injured goalies (Neuvirth, Stolarz and Elliott) and no one in support of Hart in the NHL or Lyon in the AHL. McKenna was a band-aid, not a troll job.

but didn't stolarz get healthy a while ago and get nhl starts, meaning they have had an nhl backup to hart for a while? mckenna needed to clear waivers to be an ahl backup.

i didn't follow the saga closely, but it seems like mckenna has been a second nhl backup for a couple of weeks now.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
but didn't stolarz get healthy a while ago and get nhl starts, meaning they have had an nhl backup to hart for a while? mckenna needed to clear waivers to be an ahl backup.

i didn't follow the saga closely, but it seems like mckenna has been a second nhl backup for a couple of weeks now.
More like a third wheel

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
i wonder did they really need mckenna all this time or have they been trolling the canucks for some reason.
Why waive someone that another team blatantly wants. I'm really confused why so many people think the Flyers should have done Vancouver a favor.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Why waive someone that another team blatantly wants. I'm really confused why so many people think the Flyers should have done Vancouver a favor.

i wouldn't expect them to do a favour, but it kind of looks to me like they held onto a guy after they no longer needed him for no apparent reason while paying an nhl salary. maybe this was an ahl competitive move to prevent utica getting stronger. just wondered if there was an explanation.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

They had the roster room and cap space to carry a third goalie in case Stolarz wasn't fully healed. It was an insurance move so that they didn't end up in a predicament exactly like the one Vancouver was in.

Now that Elliott is healthy, they don't need McKenna as insurance.

Reactions: Tripod

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Canucks won't claim him. Leighton is a better goalie and a whole lot cheaper than McKenna and his one way contract...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
i wouldn't expect them to do a favour, but it kind of looks to me like they held onto a guy after they no longer needed him for no apparent reason while paying an nhl salary. maybe this was an ahl competitive move to prevent utica getting stronger. just wondered if there was an explanation.
So the Flyers paid McKenna $700K for 6 weeks when he could have been making the $175K rate in the AHL. His wife should be happy, he has money for a new car for her. Let's face it, a 35 yr old with 34 NHL games played is lucky to get an NHL jersey, never mind make $700K. He'll look back fondly on these days after he retires this summer and takes a job making $50K to scout or be a roving goalie coach in the minors.

Reactions: pit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad