Goaltender interference review on ANA 3rd Goal (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Ducks fans feel they have to legitimize the win by saying it wasn't goalie interference. Oilers fans are rightfully pissed both with the blown call and collapse late in the game.

As a neutral fan here, I would be absolutely livid if that happened to my team in that big of a game.

Nope, I don't feel like I have to legitimize anything. It's a win, Ducks have the series lead, onto game 6. It's the other fans that take it as a personal crusade to pass blame on everyone else but their own players, to spout off how they NEVER get breaks and Anaheim is just so lucky.

As someone said earlier, I'd have more sympathy for the Oilers fans if it wasn't a constant whine fest from them for 5 games now.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nurse made the mistake to hit Kesler into Talbot. However if in 5 second Kesler makes no effort to get out of the crease, it's a goaltender interference penalty. Rules are very clear. Get out of the crease or it's a penalty.

Not only that but he actually tugs his arm opening up Talbots legs and spinning Talbot about 45 degrees around when the shots coming. If he actually was stuck and didn't make that tug I might be able to live with it, but he clearly deliberately tugs the pad open as the shots coming.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
And other people who have played hockey are saying it's a good goal. It's not conclusive enough, thus a good goal.

You keep ignoring that Nurse impedes Kes ability to immediately leave the crease. Interesting...

WATCH THE VIDEO. Watch from 30 seconds to 40 seconds. Kesler can get out of the crease. Nurse isn't lying on top of him, he is shoulder to shoulder.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Trying to be as impartial as possible; I dont understand how anyone can say with 100% certainty that Kesler could get up, It's not easy to get up off your knees on skates when you have a dude pinning you down. It's a call that could go either way really, but Nurse put him there and at least gave the illusion that Kesler couldn't get back up. That's really enough when trying to turn back a goal off that was deemed good on the ice.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Nope, I don't feel like I have to legitimize anything. It's a win, Ducks have the series lead, onto game 6. It's the other fans that take it as a personal crusade to pass blame on everyone else but their own players, to spout off how they NEVER get breaks and Anaheim is just so lucky.

As someone said earlier, I'd have more sympathy for the Oilers fans if it wasn't a constant whine fest from them for 5 games now.

Thank. You.

We have been on the wrong side of official bull****tery often enough to know how frustrating it is.

But if literally all you do is ***** and moan about this, you're not gonna get any sympathies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
He's not being held down by Nurse. I can see the video like anyone else. Please stop with your fiction, nurse has both hands on his stick and is stick checking Kesler. Kesler must leave the crease. That is the rule. I have no idea with what premise you think you are right.

Like I have said several times now, Nurse is holding Kes down by holding his stick down. Unless you want Kes to let go of his stick, pull his arms away from Talbot, which would actually move Talbot's pads; Kes has no way to immediately leave the crease.

The premise I'm thinking that I'm right is the league say it's a good goal by the letter of the rules and the by the video evidence that shows Nurse initates contact, which legally allows Kes to be in the crease; and then Nurse impedes Kes' ability to leave the crease in the very short time frame.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
To be fair the score easily should have been 2-1 entering the 3rd if not for the refs. 3rd oil goal was interference and the high stick should have counted as there was a higher one against the flames that counted.

Refs screwed ducks too.

Cambodian Fouler

Getzlaf-ed-at
Apr 19, 2015
Nurse made the mistake to hit Kesler into Talbot. However if in 5 second Kesler makes no effort to get out of the crease, it's a goaltender interference penalty. Rules are very clear. Get out of the crease or it's a penalty.

You and your 5 seconds, Kesler wasnt in the crease for 5 seconds. His first contact with Talbot after Nurse touching him is with 19.4 left and goal was scored at 15.8 seconds left.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
WATCH THE VIDEO. Watch from 30 seconds to 40 seconds. Kesler can get out of the crease. Nurse isn't lying on top of him, he is shoulder to shoulder.

Again, it's not Nurse being on top of Kes, it's Nurse being on top of Kes stick; and Kes isn't going to let go of his stick to get out of the crease. That would be absolutely stupid.

Fork

Mar 7, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
as an impartial observer, this was definitely goalie interference

but thats just what the reality is when a canadian team is playing against an american team

RonMacLean

Dec 8, 2013
What Oilers fans can't comprehend is that Talbot was able to make the save which is the key part of the rule. He chose to stand up (which Kesler eventually allowed him to do). Kesler was originally interfering, which is negated by Nurse pushing him in there. Then he let's his pad go, Talbot decides to stand up for who knows what reason. Then the puck goes in. If Talbot isn't able to stand up, then it's no goal, but he chose to stand up willingly and allows the goal.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Trying to be as impartial as possible; I dont understand how anyone can say with 100% certainty that Kesler could get up, It's not easy to get up off your knees on skates when you have a dude pinning you down. It's a call that could go either way really, but Nurse put him there and at least gave the illusion that Kesler couldn't get back up. That's really enough when trying to turn back a goal off that was deemed good on the ice.
And when he starts getting back up Nurse just pushes right back into Talbot. :laugh:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

but thats just what the reality is when a canadian team is playing against an american team

Lol, what does that even mean? Why would the league favor a small market team over large hockey market team? Where's the logic in that?

Last edited by a moderator:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I better never see you complain about a call going against your team then. Especially any goalie interference that results in a goal.

imafan

Dec 17, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I'll say it again, Kesler actually scored the goal. If you look closely you'll see it going off Kesler's stick and not Nurse.

Had the goal been awarded to Kesler, I wonder if that would have impacted the review process. The player actually on the goalie actually scoring the goal.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
HFboards should be used by psychologists as a case study on how humans deal with a devastating defeat. Play the Blame game, look for excuses etc. I am certain if this collapse happened to the ducks I would do the same thing, it is just human nature.

With that being said, it's ridiculous. If you dissect an NHL game there are so many calls/decisions the refs have to make, if you only focus on the ones that go against you (looking at you sportsnet/NBC sports) it's easy to feel like you are getting jobbed. The reality is that we usually see what we want to see and refs calls goes both ways (see Perry being cross checked in head preceding the oilers odd man rush 3rd goal).

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

As pointed out earlier, it looks like his stick is pinned under Talbot's pad in that video.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber

Can get out to where? Nurse is staying put and not going anywhere, which incidentally is entirely as expected considering the puck remains very much in play. Are you saying that Kesler should have crawled forward on all fours?

Again, you are making a huge fuss over a few seconds. It doesn't come across like that in game time. Nurse grabbing Kesler by the neck didn't do him any favors, either. It was probably the last straw that the refs needed to reach the call.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
What Oilers fans can't comprehend is that Talbot was able to make the save which is the key part of the rule. He chose to stand up (which Kesler eventually allowed him to do). Kesler was originally interfering, which is negated by Nurse pushing him in there. Then he let's his pad go, Talbot decides to stand up for who knows what reason. Then the puck goes in. If Talbot isn't able to stand up, then it's no goal, but he chose to stand up willingly and allows the goal.

Ron. Did Cherry give you permission to speak?

But seriously. Reasonable argument. I still think Kesler's hand on his pad was enough to constitute interference. I would say the same thing if it was an Oiler goal. ****** it went against us though.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I hope you realize these two things contradict each other..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad