Goals scored via an epic wrist shot

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I am looking for velocity and speed here mostly. Just bullets that happened to be wrist shots that went into the net. Accuracy counts here too of course. This is not a list of the players with the best wrist shots because we've done that and we all have similar lists. I want to see goals scored, perhaps by those players.

Kariya on a tough angle while being bothered bursting down the left wing in overtime in Game 6 in 1997. Wow.

Ovechkin was the king of doing this. Using the defenseman as a screen as he burst down the left wing and then made a quick cut inside before releasing it. I just thought this one was a rifle of a shot.

Wendel Clark with that hat trick in Game 6 in 1993. Overshadowed by the fact that this was the missed high stick game in overtime. But this is one of those goals that is shot so hard that it almost looks like the puck is in BEFORE it is shot.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I also thought it as well one time but if you take a closer look, he really did a wrist shot.

I don't know, it's a little in between maybe. He brings it forward and then the puck glides away a bit and he snaps it top-shelf IMO.

Amazing shot either way. Brodeur was stunned.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
I don't know, it's a little in between maybe. He brings it forward and then the puck glides away a bit and he snaps it top-shelf IMO.

Amazing shot either way. Brodeur was stunned.
Yep absolutely and also between Stevens' legs nothing less.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I don't remember Bure scoring a lot of goals by the wrist shot, but the announcer on the first goal here (starting @0:30) says "no one shoots it like that, any better than he does". Just a homer announcer? :dunno:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I don't remember Bure scoring a lot of goals by the wrist shot, but the announcer on the first goal here (starting @0:30) says "no one shoots it like that, any better than he does". Just a homer announcer? :dunno:

No, you're right he didn't do the wrister as much. It was later in this game that I think is one of his better goals he ever scored. Start at 1:40. Just look at that burst of speed through the neutral zone, have you ever seen such speed? I haven't. Then the slapper. Bure used the slapper a lot.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
I love this Mark Messier shot/goal in the 1987 playoffs against Winnipeg! Make sure to watch until the slow-mo replay, which is a thing of beauty:

Messier had one of the better wrist shots of his time, he scored most of his goals with wristers, very underrated in that regard.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I don't have access to the video but the quote by Bobby Orr has been often cited. This is from a Q and A involving Bill Barber:

Question: Boston Bruins great defenseman Bobby Orr calls your wrist shot goal against Bruins goalie Gilles Gilbert in the third period of Game Four during the 1974 Finals as "the best wrist shot I’ve ever seen." Can you tell us about that?

Barber:"This was an amazing compliment from probably the greatest hockey player to ever lace up a pair of skates. He probably said that because we’re actually distant related (laughs). It was a special goal in that it proved to be the game-winning goal. I’ll admit it was a freak goal. The puck came off the wall funny and I was able to get off the shot. The puck rolled up to my stick and I wristed it. Sometimes the puck does weird things. The puck took off like a rocket. Gilles Gilbert was screened at the time and the puck was in and out of the net in an instant. Gilles never moved."

Source: NHL.com <i>Backchecking With</i> Bill Barber

Last edited:
Reactions: CMitchelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad