Goals scored via an epic wrist shot

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
I wonder if the most famous/well-known for this category would be a goal that Messier scored in the finals in 1984 against the Islanders, I read in a biography on him that his stick had a bend/recoiled like a fishing rod. Lol...I thought that was pretty cool. I think it tied the game a 2 in game 2. I'm sure someone with good video skills can post it if they want *thumbs up*

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
His release is unbelievable. Is there anyone historically who had a release like this?

Yeah, ok, beauty shot but c'mon.... Composite stick.... Lets see him do that with a Woody. Then I'll really be impressed..... furthermore.... back in my day Son.... Goalie on his knees' like that deep in his crease, trapper all over the place (and look at the size of that obscene piece of equipment?! Uh?)... total sieve deserving to be embarrassed... and badly.....

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I don't have access to the video but the quote by Bobby Orr has been often cited. This is from a Q and A involving Bill Barber:

Question: Boston Bruins great defenseman Bobby Orr calls your wrist shot goal against Bruins goalie Gilles Gilbert in the third period of Game Four during the 1974 Finals as "the best wrist shot I’ve ever seen." Can you tell us about that?

Barber:"This was an amazing compliment from probably the greatest hockey player to ever lace up a pair of skates. He probably said that because we’re actually distant related (laughs). It was a special goal in that it proved to be the game-winning goal. I’ll admit it was a freak goal. The puck came off the wall funny and I was able to get off the shot. The puck rolled up to my stick and I wristed it. Sometimes the puck does weird things. The puck took off like a rocket. Gilles Gilbert was screened at the time and the puck was in and out of the net in an instant. Gilles never moved."

Source: NHL.com <i>Backchecking With</i> Bill Barber

Honestly, I've heard that quote before and even looked up Game 4 of the Cup final on Youtube. There is a highlight package but they mention Barber's goal in passing, not showing it. I too would like to see it because I've heard that quote from Orr.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
His release is unbelievable. Is there anyone historically who had a release like this?

Very quick wrists with high velocity. Pretty unique because when someone has wrists that quick they usually specialize in the snap shot. Think Bossy, Esposito, etc. Maybe Sakic had a shot like Matthews perhaps? Quick wrists, lots of mustard on it, quick release.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->