GOALIES

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
How do you think the Flyers current goalie situation will play out? Any bold predictions?

Myself personally think everyone should get a chance in preseason, and no one should be traded yet.

Carter Hart should be in the AHL all year, and should play as much as possible.

I really wish Elliott could be traded, because I believe Nuevirth is going to have a great year. Only problem is WHEN, Nuevy gets hurt, do you think Lyon, Stolarz, Hart could carry the torch? Honestly, probably wouldn't be much worse than Elliott. But I won't count him out just yet.

I also don't want to give up on Stolarz just yet, his size is something that could turn him into the next Rinne or he could just be the next Mcelhenny. Or how every you spell it. Haha.

Thoughts?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We only one have one extra goalie. If one goalie gets hurt, then we have just the right amount of goalies.

I wouldn't make any moves till October.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They should have no problem stashing Stolarz at LHV with Hart.
They'll probably have to carry 3 goalies to start the season, I think they're out of options with Lyon, who would definitely get claimed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If everyone is healthy, carry 3 goalies in the AHL to start. Then either trade one or send one to Reading until a trade can be facilitated.

Id like to see Hart in a rotation fo start. Ease him in so he can adjust to the speed of pro hockey. Hopefully he separates himself by the 2nd half of the season. If he stands out in the AHL, it will confirm he is indeed legit.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
You, and everyone else, is a bit lower on Elliott/Neuvirth than they should be just because our PK is abysmal every year and that hurts their numbers pretty badly. Not that either are great NHL goalies.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You, and everyone else, is a bit lower on Elliott/Neuvirth than they should be just because our PK is abysmal every year and that hurts their numbers pretty badly. Not that either are great NHL goalies.

Im mostly low on them because of their embarassing playoff performance (Elliotts 2nd consecutive)

20180830_125739.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Like I said, not that they’re great goalies lol. In fairness, the whole team seemed disjointed and unprepared in the playoffs. Which is usually a sign of poor coaching (or a team that quit on the coach).

Most of the series I agree, but Elliott was especially awful in Game 6 after we built a lead on Coots back.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
What I expect:
Flyers: Elliott / Neuvirth / Lyon
Phantoms: Hart / Stolarz

What I think would be optimal:
Flyers: Elliott / Neuvirth
Phantoms: Lyon / Hart
Royals: Stolarz / XXX
  • I don't expect any team to claim Lyon on waivers if he is sent down at the start of the season.
  • Stolarz is starting the season in a "prove it" situation health- and ability-wise, so I think it acceptable to having him start the season with the Royals.
  • Elliott and Neuvirth should get about a month to show where they are health-wise and whether Lyon is needed with the Flyers.
If Hakstol can understand how to properly manage goaltending time, maybe he can get the team to the playoffs with both Elliott and Neuvirth healthy. Any playoff success, IMHO, will be on the shoulders of a hot Neuvirth. But he has to show that he won't shred his groin the first time he makes a splits save.

It's nice having these options, but I find the G outlook to be pretty muddy over the next few seasons.
  • Hart enters his first season in the AHL. I am hoping for a go-slow approach unless he absolutely blows away the league. Take over the #1 spot in 2018-19, undisputed #1 with select injury call-ups in 2019-20, compete for a spot on the 2020-21 team.
  • Sandstrom is another enigma. When and how would be the best to bring him over? Does he go to the Phantoms to acclimatize?
  • Who is the "bridge" starter for the Flyers next season (and maybe beyond)? I don't think much of Elliott in general, and am more pessimistic every year he ages. Neuvirth is definitely the more talented of the two, but those injuries ... Even if he stays healthy through this season, it would be quite the gamble to set him as the #1.
  • I don't have much in the way of expectations for Lyon filling any significant G role with the Flyers. If all shakes out as it should, Lyon doesn't (seem to) have the ability to contend with Hart on the up-and-coming trajectory but isn't the established quality placeholder I believe this team will need over the next couple of seasons. At best, I see Lyon as the AHL veteran who can be effective when called up in case of injury.
  • I have been hoping for big things from Stolarz, but the lost season was a major wall in his earning NHL consideration with the Flyers.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Most of the series I agree, but Elliott was especially awful in Game 6 after we built a lead on Coots back.

He wasn't healthy, though. Maybe he would still have sucked at 100% heath, but we don't know that.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They'll probably have to carry 3 goalies to start the season, I think they're out of options with Lyon, who would definitely get claimed.

A lot of teams have one or more comparable prospects (25+ years old, limited NHL experience, meh AHL stats) already in their system.
And there are quality options in Mason and Lehtonen remaining unsigned right now and good but not great replacements on the trade market.

If Lyon doesn't play well enough to claim the backup spot a couple of months into the season, I'd role the dice and waive him. Fair chance he makes it to LHV.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
A lot of teams have one or more comparable prospects (25+ years old, limited NHL experience, meh AHL stats) already in their system.
And there are quality options in Mason and Lehtonen remaining unsigned right now and good but not great replacements on the trade market.

If Lyon doesn't play well enough to claim the backup spot a couple of months into the season, I'd role the dice and waive him. Fair chance he makes it to LHV.
He'd probably have a better chance of making it through if they sent him down right at the start of the season. Most teams will have healthy rosters and Lyon with his 2 year contract would have to be clearly better than another teams backup to be claimed. Which (other) team would likely have goaltending so bad? Only the Flyers could manage that...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There are a number of teams with a quality goaltender but meh as backup, in some cases old meh with no upside.
That's the kind of team that would take a long look at Lyon, especially one not expecting to contend.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

Why? he hasn't proven anything at the NHL level. No one is going to claim him unless they are super desperate for a goalie

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
There are a number of teams with a quality goaltender but meh as backup, in some cases old meh with no upside.
That's the kind of team that would take a long look at Lyon, especially one not expecting to contend.

I don't expect the Flyers to keep 3 goalies up. That's awkward and teams rarely do it for an extended length of time. It's much more likely that they keep 2 to start the season and send the rest down and let the chips fall where they may.

If Lyon is claimed then oh well. It's inconvenient but hardly crippling.

More likely they try to give Neuvirth away for a 7th. Failing that they could waive him if they are as high on Lyon as you. Neuvirth will be injured anytime you need him anyway so he's basically a waste of an important roster spot. Which is why they haven't been able to move him yet but if another team has an injury then they may take a chance on him.

bear3330

Jul 8, 2018
Even though he needs to show he's back to game speed, I'll like to see if Stolarz can take over the backup spot. I'd give him a chance to start the season with the Flyers, see who puts up better performances between him and Neuvy, and trade the lesser of the two for a late round draft pick.

I know he has injury issues also but he's younger and was really close to competing for the backup job before his injury. Who knows, we might be surprised and he performs better than expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad