Speculation: Goalie situation

How should we go ?

• Husso as a starter (2/3 games), Lyon as a backup (1/3 games)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Husso as 1a, Lyon as 1b

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Husso & Lyon 50/50

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Lyon as 1a, Husso as Husso 1b

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Lyon as a clear starter (2/3), Husso as a backup (1/3)

Votes: 59 74.7%
  • Some Reimer option...

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's quite easy to pick those "easy" games from the schedule on back-to-backs, which will go to Husso.

@ EDM = Lyon
@ VAN = Lyon
@ CGY = Husso (back-to-back)
@ SEA = Lyon

4-day break

vs. COL = Lyon
vs. STL = Husso/Lyon (1st of the back-to-back)
@ CHI = Lyon/Husso
vs. WSH = Lyon
vs. NYI = Husso (evening FRI game)
vs. FLO = Lyon (day SUN game)

5-day break

@ COL = Lyon
@ ARI = Husso (1st one of back-to-back)
@ VGK = Lyon
@ BUF = Lyon
vs. ARI = Lyon
vs. BUF = Husso (1st one of back-to-back)
@ PIT = Lyon

etc.

Husso would get 5/18 ~25-30% of starts, Lyon 13/18 ~70-75%

Reactions: RRhoads

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
It's quite easy to pick those "easy" games from the schedule on back-to-backs, which will go to Husso.

@ EDM = Lyon
@ VAN = Lyon
@ CGY = Husso (back-to-back)
@ SEA = Lyon

4-day break

vs. COL = Lyon
vs. STL = Husso/Lyon (1st of the back-to-back)
@ CHI = Lyon/Husso
vs. WSH = Lyon
vs. NYI = Husso (evening FRI game)
vs. FLO = Lyon (day SUN game)

5-day break

@ COL = Lyon
@ ARI = Husso (1st one of back-to-back)
@ VGK = Lyon
@ BUF = Lyon
vs. ARI = Lyon
vs. BUF = Husso (1st one of back-to-back)
@ PIT = Lyon

etc.

Husso would get 5/18 ~25-30% of starts, Lyon 13/18 ~70-75%
Yeah, agreed. It's probably how it will be, unless something unforeseen happens, Lyon goes cold, or Husso goes hot. .

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Hope that Husso isn't out long-term, I'm not really excited about having Reimer, as a back-up, in net on this roadtrip.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Do goalies skate harder in the NHL? Or is it the hard checks that wear them out?
It's a higher level of play. Does it take more effort on a treadmill at level 2 or level 5. Wings are also a building team likely to face more high quality scoring chances.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's a higher level of play. Does it take more effort on a treadmill at level 2 or level 5. Wings are also a building team likely to face more high quality scoring chances.
Multiple goalies have stated that it's easier to play in the NHL than AHL. More structure. More predictable. Travel wear and tear is much lower.

Reactions: Retire91 and jaster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I'd agree if we were talking about the skaters. If anything playing for a team with shitty defense gives the goalie more work than the level they play at. Physically, playing goalie for the Bruins is probably easier than playing for GR. Mentally, there would be a lot more pressure obviously. Those fans are dicks, lol.

Reactions: Retire91

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I like to think that every time Reimer pitches a shutout he is blindfolded and just randomly moving around because he is actually terrified of pucks.

Reimer prepping for the game tonight:
giphy.gif

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Reimer's GAA is now below 3.00 at 2.98 and save% at 904. Who would ever that would happen but he has given up 2 goals in his last two starts.

Oh, I've actually liked Reimer better than Husso. I'm just mocking him because he ducks pucks like he's not wearing a mask. (I've actually played with a couple, though it's not allowed anymore for liability reasons)

For the team to get into the playoffs, Lyon needs to get his head back into the game. Not sure what happened over the break. You never know with goalies, maybe his dog died or something. Such a mental game.

Even at his best, Husso allowed at least one soft goal every game, his shutouts are against offensively inept teams like NYI (before Horvat). Montreal, and Nashville.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
sy lookin smart having 3 goalies thatss for5 sure

He would've looked smarter if he had found a solid starter that can handle the work load without getting injured or falling apart mentally.

Given teh situation though, I'm glad he picked up Lyon and Rainbow.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Oh, I've actually liked Reimer better than Husso. I'm just mocking him because he ducks pucks like he's not wearing a mask. (I've actually played with a couple, though it's not allowed anymore for liability reasons)

For the team to get into the playoffs, Lyon needs to get his head back into the game. Not sure what happened over the break. You never know with goalies, maybe his dog died or something. Such a mental game.

Even at his best, Husso allowed at least one soft goal every game, his shutouts are against offensively inept teams like NYI (before Horvat). Montreal, and Nashville.
Here is our updated goalie stats.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Reimer prepping for the game tonight:
giphy.gif
Or…

IMG_2482.jpeg

Some nights I just can’t imagine how the Wings pull off wins…Certainly our netminders are a big reason for our success this season…Being in goal for the Wings must feel like Kamikaze mission.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hope that Husso isn't out long-term, I'm not really excited about having Reimer, as a back-up, in net on this roadtrip.

Imo, Reimer is just fine as long as team will play that risk-free defence. Every goalie will look better now after they simpliefied the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad