Speculation: Goalie situation

How should we go ?

• Husso as a starter (2/3 games), Lyon as a backup (1/3 games)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Husso as 1a, Lyon as 1b

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Husso & Lyon 50/50

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Lyon as 1a, Husso as Husso 1b

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Lyon as a clear starter (2/3), Husso as a backup (1/3)

Votes: 59 74.7%
  • Some Reimer option...

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So, Ville Husso is healthy.

And Alex Lyon is thriwing. NHL 3rd best goalie at the moment.

How should we continue?

Alex Lyon has had this unbelieveable stretch playing almost all the games, but everyone knows, this won't last for very long.

We have to split the games.

1706741118778.png

How should we split it ?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Could this Boston model be the perfect one?

They have big money starter 5M Ullmark, and 900k Swayman is putting same level numbers.

The salary scenario is almost same as Wings current one.

And they will go 1/2.

Both will stay healthy, thanks to not too many games, but both will also stay at game shape, when playing soon enough, and not having long breaks.

1706741356239.png

I really admire this Boston goalie system and rotation.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Could this Boston model be the perfect one?

They have big money starter 5M Ullmark, and 900k Swayman is putting same level numbers.

The salary scenario is almost same as Wings current one.

And they will go 1/2.

Both will stay healthy, thanks to not too many games, but both will also stay at game shape, when playing soon enough, and not having long breaks.

View attachment 813307

I really admire this Boston goalie system and rotation.
I want this with lyon and markstrom.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lol I’m cool with it, you gonna do a mid season prospect poll? :)

Yeah, maybe at the all-star break.

Let's go heavy with multiple polls!

But this goalie thing. I want to see this as real thing. There are benefits not using one guy too much, like injury concerns.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
You obviously have to be careful about wearing out Lyon. The goal should be to play him as much as possible without affecting his play with fatigue. For most non-workhorse goalies in today's NHL (like, 95% of them), that's like 60-65% of the team's games, max. Husso hit 68% of games last season, and we saw what happened there. And Lyon's never really experienced workloads any heavier than Husso in his career. Lyon didn't get much run earlier in the season though, so he can probably be leaned on a little harder down the stretch if necessary.

We'll still need Husso (or, ugh, Reimer) for probably 6-8 games if he can actually perform at an acceptable level.

And this is all predicated on the idea that Lyon keeps up his play, or at least remains solid enough. If he slips, and Husso starts shining, then you adjust as necessary.

Last edited:

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Husso is gonna have to get a game somewhere, I was leaning towards the game against Calgary. But who knows how those other games will shake out. Could be desperate for those two points. Only three back to backs left on the season.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Just split 50/50 I don't know if I am in the minority but Alex Lyon will eventually cool, or like 60/40 I mean he is earning it but don't wear him out.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Just split 50/50 I don't know if I am in the minority but Alex Lyon will eventually cool, or like 60/40 I mean he is earning it but don't wear him out.
Predicting Lyon will fall apart is one thing, preemptively taking away his starts before it even happens is quite another. As long as Lyon is playing the way he is, or even just close to it, we can't afford a 50/50 split. The margins for making the playoffs are so small at this point. The approach will require patience, Lalonde will need to take this game-by-game, or week-by-week.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Its Lyons net..case closed

Unless he falters doing anything else is an intent to lose..

Husso/Reimer are the backups playing spot relief duty until one is traded

If Fester doesn't go with the hot hand, he's a moron. It's standard practice in the NHL to start the hot goalie, regardless of which goalie makes more money.

Lyon should start every game aside from B2B games until he shits the bed.

Reactions: RRhoads

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
You obviously have to be careful about wearing out Lyon. The goal should be to play him as much as possible without affecting his play with fatigue. For most non-workhorse goalies in today's NHL (like, 95% of them), that's like 60-65% of the team's games, max. Husso hit 68% of games last season, and we saw what happened there. And Lyon's never really experienced workloads any heavier than Husso in his career. Lyon didn't get much run earlier in the season though, so he can probably be leaned on a little harder down the stretch if necessary.

We'll still need Husso (or, ugh, Reimer) for probably 6-8 games if he can actually perform at an acceptable level.

And this is all predicated on the idea that Lyon keeps up his play, or at least remains solid enough. If he slips, and Husso starts shining, then you adjust as necessary.
I don't think we can wear out Lyon. He has played 20ish games this season and there is 30ish left.
Anyhow I think the best solution would be to rotate all 3 goalies and keep them fresh and highly motivated. Even Reimer looked good in that one game he played vs Toronto.
I believe Yzerman keeps all 3 and Lalonde plays all 3 (70/20/10%) unless someone comes with a good trade offer.

I also think Yzerman might have started a trend with 3 goalies.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I don't think we can wear out Lyon. He has played 20ish games this season and there is 30ish left.
Anyhow I think the best solution would be to rotate all 3 goalies and keep them fresh and highly motivated. Even Reimer looked good in that one game he played vs Toronto.
I believe Yzerman keeps all 3 and Lalonde plays all 3 (70/20/10%) unless someone comes with a good trade offer.

You can certainly wear Lyon out. There are 32 games left and he can’t play them all. 52 games in 82 is pushing it for workload… 52 games in like 60 is untenable.

Anywho, Reimer should only come into play if either of Lyon or Husso are hurt or ineffective, which is certainly possible in the case of Husso. Otherwise, Reimer is just an insurance policy (and a poor one at that) that we don’t need to use. You can keep 2 goalies fresh without a 3rd in the mix, especially when the 3rd one is bad.

Three goalies is dumb, it’s just sometimes you can’t avoid it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

For a goalie not used to the workload, if he plays lets say 22 out of 30 left, plus the 12 of 15 or so that he has played, that can absolutely wear him out. We aren't talking about a goalie used to a large workload. That said, we need to do what is best for our playoff hopes which is running with Lyon as main starter.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Honestly, it depends.

I fully anticipate Husso getting one of the next four games on the schedule. I can't see the organization waiting until we play Chicago to give Husso a shot and see where he is. If they do that, they will expect Husso to prove himself to be the starter, or at least the 1a. Otherwise, it's Lyon's net to lose, in my view.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hear me out, hear me out...

Four goalies.
I see that you're a trailblazer. Let's continue thinking outside the box.

On nights that Lyon needs a breather, Detroit only has one defensemen on the ice at a time, with both Husso and Reimer in net. And rather than being side by side, they zip tie them together, stacked one on top of the other. That way everything except right underneath the crossbar is covered - if somebody can score there, tip your cap to them and move on.

And Reimer can be the one to take the higher shots. It'll help cure him from ducking out of the way.

• Haha
Reactions: Bench

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
You can certainly wear Lyon out. There are 32 games left and he can’t play them all. 52 games in 82 is pushing it for workload… 52 games in like 60 is untenable.

Anywho, Reimer should only come into play if either of Lyon or Husso are hurt or ineffective, which is certainly possible in the case of Husso. Otherwise, Reimer is just an insurance policy (and a poor one at that) that we don’t need to use. You can keep 2 goalies fresh without a 3rd in the mix, especially when the 3rd one is bad.

Three goalies is dumb, it’s just sometimes you can’t avoid it.
Wasn't Lyon our OG insurance policy at the start of the season? I think we all expected Husso to be the nominal starter and Reimer to be the guy who could make a few starts to keep the wear and tear off of Husso and Lyon was like 'whatever'. Of course we all know now that Lyon is the clear #1.

All of this is just to say that when you don't have a clearcut #1 goalie it's probably not a bad idea to have 3 goalies and ride the one who is playing the best at any given moment. I am not a Reimer fan, but I'm OK with him being an insurance policy.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
For right now, we will likely and should play the hot hand. Lyon to start, Husso to back up. Split the games 60/40 or 65/35. Reimer is definitely option C on the depth chart. If Husso shows up and plays well, great. There's nothing wrong with having that Osgood/Vernon tandem.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Lyon has earned the starter role. Husso needs to play his way into more time as a back-up for now, especially right off injury/time off.

He just needs to be a pinch better than Reimer and things look good for the Red Wings, can almost just waive Reimer, no one will pick him up anyways.

Reactions: Gniwder

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Wasn't Lyon our OG insurance policy at the start of the season? I think we all expected Husso to be the nominal starter and Reimer to be the guy who could make a few starts to keep the wear and tear off of Husso and Lyon was like 'whatever'. Of course we all know now that Lyon is the clear #1.

All of this is just to say that when you don't have a clearcut #1 goalie it's probably not a bad idea to have 3 goalies and ride the one who is playing the best at any given moment. I am not a Reimer fan, but I'm OK with him being an insurance policy.
Yeah, on July 1 Reimer was signed as the "backup" and like an hour later Lyon was signed as "depth." But a lot of us felt at the time that Lyon had a pretty good shot at surpassing Reimer on the depth chart. I could never stand Reimer's game, and had basically no faith in him going into the season. Given what Lyon did down the stretch last season, I felt like there was perhaps something legitimate there, and was rooting for it. I don't think anyone predicted he'd be our #1 by this time though.

I don't really agree that carrying 3 goalies is a good idea when you don't have a clear-cut starter. Tons of teams have carried 2 goalies with no clear-cut starter most of the time and done fine. It's just that their two goalies are pretty dependable. Detroit didn't have that going into this season. They had a nominal starter who struggled mightily in the 2nd half last season and had workload concerns, a backup who frankly is a borderline NHLer at this point, and another backup who had proven almost nothing in the NHL and was no spring chicken. Going into this season, we needed extra depth because each of the goalies had huge question marks attached to them.

It was necessary, but not ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: sepster

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca