"Goalie" (Sawchuk Movie) In Canadian Theatres 2019

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
has anyone saw the movie?

i live in the states so the movie is not here...

hopefully i can catch the movie when it comes on dvd..

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I cant wait to see it when its released in the US or on the internet
Any details on US release date(s) ?

It looks interesting, but couldn't find current American release info..

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Keith Tkachuk, hahahah. I have seen a bit of it with my own eyes, probably more than his sons ever did.
But he's 300 pounds now so the stamina is probably gone.
Not sure if I'm reading this right, but are you saying you've experienced the stamina of Keith Tkachuk...?

Disappointing to hear that NHL logos won't appear. Isn't that going to kind of suck?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Not sure if I'm reading this right, but are you saying you've experienced the stamina of Keith Tkachuk...?

Disappointing to hear that NHL logos won't appear. Isn't that going to kind of suck?

Sure it will, but it is what it is, hopefully it isn't a eye sore for hockey fans. While it would look more real with logos I am more interested in the story anyway.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Not sure if this is a joke or not, but i witnessed him with a peculiarly attractive woman entering his hotel here in Sweden, a case where he jokingly told her that the reason we stood there looking for his autograph was that he once led the NHL in goals. This was obviously no journalist.
Free for anyone to have their reading of the possibilities. I say Bobby Hull like.

Last edited:

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki

If the teams don't want to do even this amount of cooperation, any hockey movies are pretty much DOA.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
For any Canadian hockey fans, there is a biopic airing on CBC tonight about hall-of-famer Terry Sawchuk simply called "Goalie" which is a raw and gritty take on the legendary tenders life. Apparently CBC has done very minimal promotion about the film they are airing (even the built-in TV guide just says "movie"). So if you live in Canada, are curious about what tragedies struck on of the best goaltenders of all-time, grab some popcorn at enjoy the movie.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/terry-sawchuk-biopic-1.4978562

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
As Gump Worsley saud, "my face is my mask."

Amazing these guys played without masks.

images.jpg

I know a makeup artist highlighted the scars, but still....

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Watched it tonight with the wife. We both enjoyed it. I thought it was well done, even if it started off a bit slow and there wasn’t a whole lot of actual hockey in the film.

I recommend checking it out if you can.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Was ok, especially for someone interested in his career. They added that it was a work of fiction in the crédits. For anyone who saw the movie on Spinner Spencer was somewhat similiar but that movie had much better music and more material to work with. 2/4

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
There were some inaccuracies to add to the movie aspect of it. Apparently Sawchuk and Willie O’Ree were teammates in Boston..

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
There were some inaccuracies to add to the movie aspect of it. Apparently Sawchuk and Willie O’Ree were teammates in Boston..
Question: What jersey is this supposed to be? Is this supposed to be the Red Wings? What's with the logo? If they couldn't afford the rights to the NHL jerseys, I'd dismiss the film right then and there. That's Mickey Mouse.

At least the Don Cherry t.v. movies and the Rocket Richard movie had great reproductions of the early uniforms.

sawchuk-goalie-movie-800x445.png

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Question: What jersey is this supposed to be? Is this supposed to be the Red Wings? What's with the logo? If they couldn't afford the rights to the NHL jerseys, I'd dismiss the film right then and there. That's Mickey Mouse.

At least the Don Cherry t.v. movies and the Rocket Richard movie had great reproductions of the early uniforms.

sawchuk-goalie-movie-800x445.png

Unfortunately there were no NHL jersey’s or logos in the film. For whatever reason I’m going to assume they didn’t have the rights. Not sure if it came down to money or if the league didn’t want any part of it.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It was okay. Only cost a buck to rent on iTunes, so can't really complain. American viewers should be able to access it if they switch their iTunes account to the Canadian store.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Unfortunately there were no NHL jersey’s or logos in the film. For whatever reason I’m going to assume they didn’t have the rights. Not sure if it came down to money or if the league didn’t want any part of it.

So, does he still play for the Detroit Red Wings, or is that changed to the Pontiac Tadpoles or something like that?
This sounds fatal, but maybe they can pull it off.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
Someone did leave a very positive review:

Wonderful Canadian Biopic
9 June 2019 | by bobbyhattawaySee all my reviews
A story that shows all of the brutality of hockey in the 50's and 60's. As a kid, I just saw heroes playing a game but this movie shows the reality. Players were treated as property and could be traded any time to anywhere. Wives were left to take care of the family often without any help from the player. Owners treated the players as little better than slaves. Excellent performances from all but extra credit to Georgina, Mark and Kevin. The story was a bit unsettling as we see the gritty existence of the hockey player. They barely made enough money to make ends meet and the tension that existed in the Sawchuk household likely reflected an unspoken truth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad