Release date January 25, 2019
Country Canada
Run time 1h51m
Genre Drama
Directed by Adriana Maggs
Written by Adriana Maggs, Jane Maggs
Company Mongrel Media

synopsis

The life of a professional hockey player was not always a glamorous one. For legendary goaltender Terry Sawchuk, each save means one more gash to his unmasked face and one more drink to numb the pain. Even with a wife and seven children at home, he is haunted by the void left from his childhood which he tried to fill with cheering crowds. Sawchuk traveled across the country racking up 103 shutouts and 400 stitches to his face, proving that this is a man who lives, breathes, and dies a goalie....

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
There are only one Mr. Goalie and that is Glenn Hall. I wonder how many more cups Detroit would have gotten if not for that ill-fated decision to keep nutjob Sawchuk instead. Perhaps understandable at the time becouse of their two year age difference, but still ill-fated.
Probably not as exciting life story though, but still i hope to see the two better goalies in the league at the time at least in minor roles.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Can't believe that they couldnt get the rights. Im assuming greedy NHL executives.

I hope this movie becomes a blockbuster and the NHL ends up looking stupid.

It's a movie about NHL history for Christ's sake. How can you demand extra money for that? And even if you think economically, this would have been free advertisement. For the league. And its past. At the very time they make a lot of fuss about releasing historic records.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I hope this movie becomes a blockbuster and the NHL ends up looking stupid.

It's a movie about NHL history for Christ's sake. How can you demand extra money for that? And even if you think economically, this would have been free advertisement. For the league. And its past. At the very time they make a lot of fuss about releasing historic records.

It could be that the league isnt shown in the best light. It is NHL in the 50s after all.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Didn't the Rocket Richard biopic have team emblems? I saw that movie (it was okay, not bad for a sports movie) and I can't remember them not being there....

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Didn't the the Rocket Richard biopic have team emblems? I saw that movie (it was okay, not bad for a sports movie) and I can't remember them not being there....

Came here to post exactly this.I don't remember, I'll take a look at it this evening, I have the DVD.

What a bunch of morons.No reason not to give the logo rights.Those rights existing is a stupid thing on its own anyway.

Reactions: Sentinel

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
So did Net Worth, and the Gordie Howe story on Hallmark.

Maybe there's so much fiction in here they're not trying to sell it as realistic?

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
So did Net Worth, and the Gordie Howe story on Hallmark.

Maybe there's so much fiction in here they're not trying to sell it as realistic?

Quite the opposite. The Sawchuk movie is actually too realistic and the NHL may not have approved of some of the stuff you will see in the film. For full control of the movie, the producers decided not to have to worry about the NHL and came up with their own logos.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Quite the opposite. The Sawchuk movie is actually too realistic and the NHL may not have approved of some of the stuff you will see in the film. For full control of the movie, the producers decided not to have to worry about the NHL and came up with their own logos.

Makes sense.

Reactions: Sentinel

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
That logo on Sawchuck's jersey in the trailer looks like something Nintendo could have come up with to one of their early 90s Game Boy releases. Bubble Trouble 2: The Revenge of the Winnipeg.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
If it is a quality production going on they perhaps don't need to get anything else than a cut of any possible winnings for logos.
I have a poor shot of making a good judgement of how high a percentage.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Apparently it's being released in Toronto March 1 but doesn't come up on coming soon labels so likely smaller downtown theatres.

The copyright issue is typically due to representation of the league. Not that money doesn't play into it but if it was a favourable film for the NHL I'm sure they'd budge but it probably ain't.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Apparently it's being released in Toronto March 1 but doesn't come up on coming soon labels so likely smaller downtown theatres.

The copyright issue is typically due to representation of the league. Not that money doesn't play into it but if it was a favourable film for the NHL I'm sure they'd budge but it probably ain't.

Same deal with Apocalypse Now, US military would not sign off and supply choppers as they were not happy with the plot line. the film probably doesn't shine nicely on the NHL.

Reactions: WingsFan95

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad