Speculation: Goalie of the Future

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I don't think Husso is a risk. IIRC he was suppose to come over, then Copley happened. He's staying in Europe to get the icetime he needs. If a spot is open in NA, I don't think it's going to be an issue.

Man...Allen has been taken to the gallows...

Well regardless, until Husso comes over, I don't see any point in ranking him above anyone else already here.

I'll gladly eat crow on Allen if he amounts to more than a tandem starter. I just don't see it in him, nor do I have confidence in him to want him in an important game. IMO, he's a stop gap until someone better is ready.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I won't claim to know anything about Copley, but there is a lot a buzz about him from managment and outside sources. So while it's way too early to rank him compared to our others. There might be something to him.

Our Managment thought Halak and Miller were the answers to our playoff woes also. They had MPS as a key piece of the Perron trade we got lucky with the 2nd but I will give Armstrong credit throughout his career he has been pretty solid at getting some talent in the 2nd round. Just I am not sold on him making the best judgement in trades.

Copley just has been pretty medicore his career up to a short stint last season. I'm not willing to give him the love after a very short stint of AHL success. He could be a late bloomer, and I may be wrong just I feel Allen, Binnington and Husso are above him in talant and potential currently.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Our Managment thought Halak and Miller were the answers to our playoff woes also. They had MPS as a key piece of the Perron trade we got lucky with the 2nd but I will give Armstrong credit throughout his career he has been pretty solid at getting some talent in the 2nd round. Just I am not sold on him making the best judgement in trades.

Copley just has been pretty medicore his career up to a short stint last season. I'm not willing to give him the love after a very short stint of AHL success. He could be a late bloomer, and I may be wrong just I feel Allen, Binnington and Husso are above him in talant and potential currently.
Ick...I forgot about Halak and Miller. I don't want to hear anyone say they didn't get a fair shake. Halak got lit up in NY. Although, we didn't have Brodeur lurking around. Anyways..I'm not really trying to sell Copley. Just seems it might be a pleasent surprise

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

I agree Armstrong seems to have trouble assessing goaltender talent and fit.

However, from what I recall when the Oshie trade went down, Copley was highly valued by Washington as their top goaltending prospect. They picked another goalie with a high ceiling in this past draft, so they were willing to move him because the Blues wanted him.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I agree Armstrong seems to have trouble assessing goaltender talent and fit.

However, from what I recall when the Oshie trade went down, Copley was highly valued by Washington as their top goaltending prospect. They picked another goalie with a high ceiling in this past draft, so they were willing to move him because the Blues wanted him.

You really can never have to many goaltending prospects so if just one of them pans out to being a good NHL starter we're doing well. It's never a bad position to stock prospects at.

I just like everyone else better now. He could come in and steal the Wolves starter job I just doubt it will happen.

Does anyone know much about Luke Opilka?

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
Husso
Binnington
Copley

I think Copley certainly has the potential to jump up this year as him and Binnington are close, but I think he has to do more before I put him #2, especially given that he's older.

Husso is the guy I'd put my bet on though for sure.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Husso
Binnington
Copley

I think Copley certainly has the potential to jump up this year as him and Binnington are close, but I think he has to do more before I put him #2, especially given that he's older.

Husso is the guy I'd put my bet on though for sure.
I don't understand the argument that Binnington and Copley are close but Husso is ahead.

What makes Copley comparable?

How is Husso ahead?

I am not saying people are wrong, but I am not seeing convincing arguments.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
To me, there is currently very little separation between the 4 BUT I also think that the picture will be much clearer in about a year. Right now, Allen has 1 real NHL season under his belt. How he responds from his lackluster playoff performance will be very showing IMO. Binnington and Copley...I consider them to be on pretty much a level playing field. Both are still pretty green. The battle between them this season to earn Wolves starts should be fun to watch...and again, it should help to clear up the picture a bit as well. Husso is a little harder to project as he's not playing in N.A. but he may have the highest potential of them all. I'm very excited about him but I'm also tempering my expectations until I see how he performs in N.A.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Why do Copley and Husso have higher ceilings?

I should have said "may" have a higher ceiling. Its really hard to peg with goalies. It all comes down to size and athleticism. Copley is 6'4" 196 and Husso is 6'3" 205. Whereas Binnington is a respectable 6'1" but only 167. Binnington has to bulk up to block more of the net. As you have said, he is extremely sound positionally but higher caliber players will take advantage of the small openings his slimmer frame provides. There is no telling what the extra weight will do to his flexibility and athleticism. The other two are already bigger and yet still appear quicker in the crease moving from side to side or making flashy saves. Granted, that may be because Binnington is just already there and doesn't have to make as quick of movements. Brodeur was like that in his prime. But Brodeur was also 220 lbs.

I am really high on Binnington. I think he is a going to be a very good starting goaltender. I think stylistically, he will be a great match for the Blues. However, I am not convinced he can add the 30-50 lbs needed to fully block the net and maintain or improve his flexibility/speed. I think that limits his high end potential. The other two have the size and speed. Their battles are more mental. Copley has to develop consistency and continue improving his positioning while Hussso must improve work ethic and learn the NA angles. If they catch up to Binnington in the mental aspects, they will surpass him. That is no easy task though and it is doubtful they will. But the fact they could has me put their ceilings higher.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
He stole the #1 last year and he will again this year. A couple soft playoff goals ruined a great year for him.

yeah a couple soft playoff goals shouldn't override tons of regular season success in the minds of the management and fans**

**does not apply to Brian Elliott

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He stole the #1 last year and he will again this year. A couple soft playoff goals ruined a great year for him.

Elliott lost the #1 because of that Dallas game...the game that he was slashed in the back of the head and was left in. While he got lit up, mostly unstoppable shots, he still made ALOT of elite saves. Allen did great...there's no argument there, but as some predicted, he collapsed when the Blues needed him.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Elliott lost the #1 because of that Dallas game...the game that he was slashed in the back of the head and was left in. While he got lit up, mostly unstoppable shots, he still made ALOT of elite saves. Allen did great...there's no argument there, but as some predicted, he collapsed when the Blues needed him.

Yeah, really hope he puts that behind him and continues to get better. Thought he was great most of the year. He's young enough to have not reached his ceiling yet. I think he will be even better this year. Elite quickness, just needs to work on his rebound control imo.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yeah, really hope he puts that behind him and continues to get better. Thought he was great most of the year. He's young enough to have not reached his ceiling yet. I think he will be even better this year. Elite quickness, just needs to work on his rebound control imo.
At this point..im fairly indifferent as to who the #1 is. Both of them are capable of taking the team far into the playoffs...as long as the team can score more then 1 or 2 goals a game

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
At this point..im fairly indifferent as to who the #1 is. Both of them are capable of taking the team far into the playoffs...as long as the team can score more then 1 or 2 goals a game

True, but sometimes you need your goalie to steal those 2-1 games and so far, we aren't geting it, especially in crucial games. I'm not losing hope yet. I think this team has the pieces to take the next step. Elliott I always view as steady, While I view Allen as the higher ceiling with elite tools.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think the team might need to try a tandem in the playoffs. They can select a guy before the playoffs begin and try rolling with him, but I think it's highly unlikely either one of these guys carries the load all the way through. One of the Blues' problems is that they wait too long to make any adjustments to their lineup. Hitchcock insists on rolling the same guys when it's evident that the tables are starting to turn towards the other team. I feel that in both 2014 and 2015, we kept Miller and Allen in there too long. They weren't playing terribly, but they weren't really getting the job done. Elliott didn't even get a chance against the 'Hawks, and I think he should have started game 6 against the Wild. When Allen let in the 2nd goal, it was far too late then. The game was lost. That Blues team had virtually no chance of scoring 3 goals.

That's my take. I just don't really agree that you HAVE to start the same guy every game as long as he's healthy. It's gotten us nowhere. Plenty of teams have used different goalies and gotten to at least the conference finals. That year Halak got praised in 2010 gets overlooked, but the Habs used both him and Price quite a bit. And they made it a lot farther than we have.

I know the playoffs are different from the regular season, but I think in a way we need to start treating them the same and stop overthinking. We compete for the President's Trophy by using a tandem and then suddenly when the playoffs start, we have to immediately abolish that exact strategy that we win with? I think it's a bit extreme, and it hasn't worked out for us.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
I think the team might need to try a tandem in the playoffs. They can select a guy before the playoffs begin and try rolling with him, but I think it's highly unlikely either one of these guys carries the load all the way through. One of the Blues' problems is that they wait too long to make any adjustments to their lineup. Hitchcock insists on rolling the same guys when it's evident that the tables are starting to turn towards the other team. I feel that in both 2014 and 2015, we kept Miller and Allen in there too long. They weren't playing terribly, but they weren't really getting the job done. Elliott didn't even get a chance against the 'Hawks, and I think he should have started game 6 against the Wild. When Allen let in the 2nd goal, it was far too late then. The game was lost. That Blues team had virtually no chance of scoring 3 goals.

That's my take. I just don't really agree that you HAVE to start the same guy every game as long as he's healthy. It's gotten us nowhere. Plenty of teams have used different goalies and gotten to at least the conference finals. That year Halak got praised in 2010 gets overlooked, but the Habs used both him and Price quite a bit. And they made it a lot farther than we have.

I know the playoffs are different from the regular season, but I think in a way we need to start treating them the same and stop overthinking. We compete for the President's Trophy by using a tandem and then suddenly when the playoffs start, we have to immediately abolish that exact strategy that we win with? I think it's a bit extreme, and it hasn't worked out for us.
That is so spot on man, I could not agree more. I'd also add that it's baffling to me that Hitch wanted to roll the dice on a rookie goaltender to take them past the first round. Allen was great early on but had a bad game 5 and clearly could've used a game off to reset and regroup, and a veteran like Elliott is more than capable of coming in for a game or two and holding the fort down.

That better not happen again this year I swear to the gods! *shakes fist*

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I think it's Husso. He's already been playing big time hockey for a number of years putting up big stats. 1st round talent we picked up later in the draft. Future load carrier for the Blues....and really can't wait to hear the HUUUUUUSOOOOOO's :laugh:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think it's Husso. He's already been playing big time hockey for a number of years putting up big stats. 1st round talent we picked up later in the draft. Future load carrier for the Blues....and really can't wait to hear the HUUUUUUSOOOOOO's :laugh:

Not to mention, that was his 2nd year being draft eligible as well. He passed through undrafted the year before. Apparently he had pretty questionable work ethic back then. He seems to have dedicated himself if the rumors of his 20 or so lb weight loss this summer are true so if he's turned a corner with his off ice mentality/fitness, he could turn into a gem.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

And his short side post coverage.

And his glove hand.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
And his short side post coverage.

And his glove hand.

There's a lot to like about him but there's plenty of work for him to do. Definitely agree on his short side coverage. It's pretty poor for an NHL goalie.

I know it sounds like I'm dumping on him, but I'm really not. The talent is there for him to be a top tier starter, but he still has work to do to put it all together.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010

I'm not sure which Allen you've been watching, but Allen is known for these gaffes. Year over year it hasn't gotten better. He gets Ws -- I'll give him that -- but it ain't pretty getting there. Personally I feel his issue is with the big, stiff pads. When he wore smaller, more flexible pads he was more reactive and able to move. Now he looks like someone ironed him before every game. Zero flow to him anymore.

I don't know much about Copley; Binnington looks solid, but I feel Husso is likely the future, barring any future draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad