Speculation: Goalie of the Future

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If I told you 5 years from now that one of our goalie prospects was going to be considered a top-5 goalie in the world and the Blues Franchise-goalie, who would you guess TODAY would be that guy:

Allen
Binnington
Copley
Husso

Just trying to judge who the fanbase considers to be their top prospect.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I think who is the top prospect and who is the goalie of the future are two different questions. Of these guys listed, I think Husso has the best chance to become a top 10 starter, so I voted him. But they all could easily pan out to be NHL goalies and it's very close. Heck Allen is already a passable NHL starter and he's still young

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If I told you 5 years from now that one of our goalie prospects was going to be considered a top-5 goalie in the world and the Blues Franchise-goalie, who would you guess TODAY would be that guy:

Allen
Binnington
Copley
Husso

Just trying to judge who the fanbase considers to be their top prospect.

Ironically, I think Allen would likely be at the bottom of my list. I think the other 3 are every bit as talented, and I'm just not sure he will ever be a guy that shines under the brightest lights.

I got to see Copley last night and came away very impressed. Ironically, the current NHLer he reminds me of most in stature is Holtby. He just seems like he fills up the net more than anyone currently in the system, and seemed to be pretty athletic.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Armstong be like "told yall bishes"!

Seriously though after watching Allen epicly collapse as predicted...I can't put faith in him. Very talented guy, but ffs....that randomly weak ass glove hand

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Armstong be like "told yall bishes"!

Seriously though after watching Allen epicly collapse as predicted...I can't put faith in him. Very talented guy, but ffs....that randomly weak ass glove hand

The ghost of Halak

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Just to get something off my chest real quick: People need to be a little bit more patient/realistic with Allen. He's a young goalie, young goalies take time to adjust to the speed and skill of the NHL level. Marc-Andre Fleury took *4 years* to be decent at the pro level. Allen's got the compete level, and in my mind he did everything he could last season. A goalie dropping a game in the playoffs is not uncommon, just look at Bishop's playoffs. It's unfair to put our defeat last post-season on Allen's shoulders. He's not Brent Johnson. \rant

That being said, I think Husso's finally putting together something special over for HIFK. I'd rank our prospects Husso-Copley-Binnington-Opilka. I'd like to see Binnington really fight for his spot in Chicago this year, because Copley's going to be pushing hard for it. Lundstrom doesn't even make the list. I guess we need someone in Alaska?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Just to get something off my chest real quick: People need to be a little bit more patient/realistic with Allen. He's a young goalie, young goalies take time to adjust to the speed and skill of the NHL level. Marc-Andre Fleury took *4 years* to be decent at the pro level. Allen's got the compete level, and in my mind he did everything he could last season. A goalie dropping a game in the playoffs is not uncommon, just look at Bishop's playoffs. It's unfair to put our defeat last post-season on Allen's shoulders. He's not Brent Johnson. \rant

That being said, I think Husso's finally putting together something special over for HIFK. I'd rank our prospects Husso-Copley-Binnington-Opilka. I'd like to see Binnington really fight for his spot in Chicago this year, because Copley's going to be pushing hard for it. Lundstrom doesn't even make the list. I guess we need someone in Alaska?

I don't think anyone is saying Allen is terrible or a bust. But when you look at how he has fared at every level (Q, WJC, AHL, NHL) when the pressure gets dialed up as compared to a guy like Binnington, you see why people are looking past him to other prospects. Allen has wilted in the playoffs at every level and Binnington has risen to the occasion. Some guys have it and some don't. But that's all in the past, and I'm looking to the future.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think anyone is saying Allen is terrible or a bust. But when you look at how he has fared at every level (Q, WJC, AHL, NHL) when the pressure gets dialed up as compared to a guy like Binnington, you see why people are looking past him to other prospects. Allen has wilted in the playoffs at every level and Binnington has risen to the occasion. Some guys have it and some don't. But that's all in the past, and I'm looking to the future.

Pretty much this. While I absolutely agree with Allen wasn't at fault. He did in some terrible goals. IIRC that Dumba goal in game 1 was the only I felt he had no chance on..thanks to the elite screening of Pietrangelo. Now with that said...he still gave the mental midgets a chance to win every single freaking game. Unfortunately the Blues we have seen need that goalie who can make all the stops he suppose to AND most that he's not suppose to

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Honestly I hate to say it but I think Allen might be the worst of the 4. I think any of the other three COULD be our future. Too tough to predict right now but since Husso is getting lots of love, I'll go with Binnington.

The guy I'll probably root for the most now though is Copley. And his size is intriguing. Hopefully at least two of them become solid.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Smaller sample size, but Copley has better AHL numbers. Bigger, quicker? What's not to like so far?

Copley is 1.5 years older, smaller sample size.

Also, every goalie on Hershey this year posted ridiculous numbers while Binnington outplayed a guy who has a lot of experience in the AHL in Climie through an entire season.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Binnington so far. He has not left me disappointed in any of my viewings. Husso is interesting, but I need to see him on NA ice against professionals before I get too excited. Copley isn't on my radar yet. I need to see him in Wolves games this season to make my assessment.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
They are ALL good candidates, and are all too early in their careers to single one out. However, I chose one, anyway (on a hunch) - : Husso

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm sticking with Binnington. I like Husso as well. I'm not moving Copley ahead of Binnington until he shows me over a full season he's capable of supplanting Jordan. All Binnington is win.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Interesting question. Since you ask which goalie has best chance of being a top-5 in the world, that's a totally different question than which will be the best of the bunch in 5 years. I really like Binnington and think he has a very good chance to become top 10-15 in the world. However, Husso has a much higher ceiling because of the physical skills. Same could even be said of Copley. However, I think those 2 have a much higher bust potential. Husso may have issues adjusting to the NA game and there have been rumors of partying too much. Copley has had one good season ever in a back-up role for a good team. As for Allen, I have no faith in his big game ability. I am voting Binnington but I think top 5 in the world may be pushing his potential. So I wouldn't argue with Husso, or ....Husso.

Edit: Dangit. Since Husso was last thing I typed, his name was my mind I accidentally voted for him. Maybe a Freudian slip of the fingers.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Interesting question. Since you ask which goalie has best chance of being a top-5 in the world, that's a totally different question than which will be the best of the bunch in 5 years. I really like Binnington and think he has a very good chance to become top 10-15 in the world. However, Husso has a much higher ceiling because of the physical skills. Same could even be said of Copley. However, I think those 2 have a much higher bust potential. Husso may have issues adjusting to the NA game and there have been rumors of partying too much. Copley has had one good season ever in a back-up role for a good team. As for Allen, I have no faith in his big game ability. I am voting Binnington but I think top 5 in the world may be pushing his potential. So I wouldn't argue with Husso, or ....Husso.

Edit: Dangit. Since Husso was last thing I typed, his name was my mind I accidentally voted for him. Maybe a Freudian slip of the fingers.
Why do Copley and Husso have higher ceilings?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Not a Blues draftee? :sarcasm:

Seriously though...Copley has better size and quickness...and is said to have "elite" puck-tracking ability.

Binnington is plenty big and doesn't need quickness to be successful. He has an innate ability to be in position and to read plays.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I'd guess Binnington.

I like Copley so far, but he's got a lot to show to unseat Binnington as our top goalie prospect. Seems like it's possible for Copley, but time will tell.

Husso needs to come to NA before he's in this race. Sounds very talented, but if he never comes over, it won't matter for the Blues.

Allen is Elliott 2.0, both destined to be 1A/Bs unless something changes.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd guess Binnington.

I like Copley so far, but he's got a lot to show to unseat Binnington as our top goalie prospect. Seems like it's possible for Copley, but time will tell.

Husso needs to come to NA before he's in this race. Sounds very talented, but if he never comes over, it won't matter for the Blues.

I don't think Husso is a risk. IIRC he was suppose to come over, then Copley happened. He's staying in Europe to get the icetime he needs. If a spot is open in NA, I don't think it's going to be an issue.

Man...Allen has been taken to the gallows...

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I really think Allen is underrated around here.

I like Husso then Allen #2. I think people are going with Copley to rationalize the horrible Oshie trade and grasping. He's not nearly as talanted as people are ranting.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I really think Allen is underrated around here.

I like Husso then Allen #2. I think people are going with Copley to rationalize the horrible Oshie trade and grasping. He's not nearly as talanted as people are ranting.

I won't claim to know anything about Copley, but there is a lot a buzz about him from managment and outside sources. So while it's way too early to rank him compared to our others. There might be something to him.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'd guess Binnington.

I don't see Husso's problem to adjust or get use to smaller rink. When he played WJC smaller rink he stoled Saros starter spot. What I remember Husso was very comfort with smaller rink. Knowing also they have worked out this summer in 'crotch academy' Husso's stick handling notable better compare last season.

I voted Husso, like someone also did say, I think 'Hude' have biggest ceiling compare to Binnington or Copley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad