Speculation: Goalie of the Future

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
I'm just glad this debate has evolved beyond the Allen vs Elliott discussion. We were comparing a rookie to a veteran like they deserve the same expectations or have the same amount of time to reach their ceilings. Personally I don't want to rely on Allen when he can't rely on himself.

For our prospects I'm starting to buy into a bigger is better mentality. We've seen a lot of big body goalies just come in and dominate, even if only for a season or two, there's a lot of advantages for the tall guys who move just as well.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
I don't understand the argument that Binnington and Copley are close but Husso is ahead.

What makes Copley comparable?

How is Husso ahead?

I am not saying people are wrong, but I am not seeing convincing arguments.

Copley is about to turn 24 and only has to his credit one good stretch of games behind a good Hershey team. Before that he was never notable. And the other goalie on Hershey's roster, Grubauer, had just as good of a year in many more games.

Look, Copley had a good third-of-a-season, he looked great, and I know we all love new prospects, but I am going to take the guy with a track record until Copley can prove he's not a fluke and take the job in Chicago. Husso's ahead because he's 3+ years younger and already successful for multiple seasons now in a pro league. Husso could even be on the Blues by the time he's Copley's age.

If you're asking me on the street in 5 years which of the two turned out to be a TOP FIVE goalie in the world I'm going to guess Husso first, because given his history it would be much more believable if it was him.

And as for Binnington.. youth and history of showing up in big games gives him my nod for now.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I really think goaltending is why the Blues haven't won a few cups in their history. All those stacked Blues teams never had an elite goalie. Fuhr came a little too late and Cujo was traded too soon. Keenan killed us.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I really think goaltending is why the Blues haven't won a few cups in their history. All those stacked Blues teams never had an elite goalie. Fuhr came a little too late and Cujo was traded too soon. Keenan killed us.

I would say that Fuhr was good enough in 96...until Kipryos took out his knee. :rant:

Cujo was good enough too but I'm not sure our defense was good enough in those early 90s teams. It was all offense with Hull & Oates. But yeah, Keenan hurt the Blues horribly. Gretzky wanted to retire in STL with his good buddy Hull but then Keenan pulled his offer off the table (since someone had the bright idea to make Keenan both coach and GM) and Gretzky ended up in NY. Keenan then alienated Hull, etc. what a mess that guy made.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I would say that Fuhr was good enough in 96...until Kipryos took out his knee. :rant:

Cujo was good enough too but I'm not sure our defense was good enough in those early 90s teams. It was all offense with Hull & Oates. But yeah, Keenan hurt the Blues horribly. Gretzky wanted to retire in STL with his good buddy Hull but then Keenan pulled his offer off the table (since someone had the bright idea to make Keenan both coach and GM) and Gretzky ended up in NY. Keenan then alienated Hull, etc. what a mess that guy made.

The Blues' defence was NOT good enough to win it all on their early '90s teams. Cujo WAS good enough to win with a decent defence. He was certainly as good as Osgood (who won a couple times).

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Cujo didn't show up in the playoffs. I saw darn near every game he played. He wasn't the same player in the playoffs. He folded. Did it in Detroit too. Great regular season goalie, but if something shook his tree in the playoffs.....it was over.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Cujo didn't show up in the playoffs. I saw darn near every game he played. He wasn't the same player in the playoffs. He folded. Did it in Detroit too. Great regular season goalie, but if something shook his tree in the playoffs.....it was over.

He was bad for us, aside from one year but he stood on his head for the Oilers and Toronto carrying them further than they should have gone. I don't remember him specifically in Detroit very well (I mentally block every player I like in a Detroit sweater....Shanahan took like a 10 year hiatus from hockey). But his stats were good, .917, 2.08 in '03 and .939, 1.39 over 9 games in '04. Not sure if he just developed into a good playoff goalie or couldn't fight the curse of the blues or what, but he was really good in the playoffs for Canadian teams.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Not to mention, that was his 2nd year being draft eligible as well. He passed through undrafted the year before. Apparently he had pretty questionable work ethic back then. He seems to have dedicated himself if the rumors of his 20 or so lb weight loss this summer are true so if he's turned a corner with his off ice mentality/fitness, he could turn into a gem.

Those talks about, Husso's 20lbs weight loss aren't rumours.
Husso really loss 20lbs of his weight past summer ( 2015).

Here's more information.
Sorry for that, there's not english version available.
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/sm-liiga/art-1442968320695.html

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO

A couple of years ago, Pronger was on a radio talk show. When he thought the mike was off, he told the following story. The Blues lost a playoff game. Keenan went out and got drunk, came back to the team hotel, and screamed at Gretzky for his poor play in the game. Gretzky decided he would never play for Keenan again.

Unfortunately for Pronger, the mike was not off, and the story he told was broadcast.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Anchor Town*

Not a Blues draftee? :sarcasm:

Seriously though...Copley has better size and quickness...and is said to have "elite" puck-tracking ability.

Copley is about 6'2" not 6'4" as listed, how tall is Binnington?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad