Goalie of the Future??

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
The Wild have three goalie prospects that, in my opinion, all have demonstrated potential to be a starting goalie in the NHL.

Hackett has the most experience in the AHL. He was also very solid in his short stint in the NHL. With him having the most professional experience and getting as many starts as possible with the Aeros, it appears he's the highest on the depth chart of the goalie prospects.

Kuemper won accolades in junior and has been great in the AHL.

Gustafsson won gold for Sweden in the WJC and has been great in the SEL.

So, of these three goalies, who do you believe will be the Wild's goalie of the future?

And, to create more discussion, would you trade one of them this season (deadline or in off-season) or do we want another season to see how they develop to make sure we don't trade away the best one?

P10p

May 15, 2012
Gustaffson. Kid was great for Sweden in last years wjc. Winning player of the game in the gold medal game. On the biggest stage he has ever been on he posts a shutout while getting barraged by scoring chances. Ice in his veins!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No need to trade any of them right now. Our goaltending isn't as stable as it may seem with Backstrom's age and Hardings health questions. I think with goalies, it's best to have as many options as possible.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Gustafsson. Easily, in my opinion.

I think he's calmer in net than Hackett who tends to over-play his angles. And I think he's also got higher end athleticism. Also, a small nitpick, Hackett is a borderline liability handling the puck and Gustafsson excels here.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Now: Backs / Hards
Next year: Hards / Hacks
Future: Hacks / Gus (Gustafsson could be starter though)

Tandems all the way. I know this isn't happening because these things never go as planned. Backstrom was a surprise at the time and there will be more surprises on the way.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'd think we could eventually get something decent for Kuemper, but I don't think I'd trade him yet. Let's see how our goalie situation shakes out over the next 2 seasons and then we can maybe talk about trading one of the goalie prospects.

Karl

Feb 4, 2005
The State of Hockey
I have been disappointed that Harding never truly got a shot to start for a team, because I believe he could have been and still could be a number one starting goalie in the league.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I've been on the Kuemper train and will stick with it. Hackett has never had better stats, and generally gets the more favorable starts.
I'm convinced if Hackett and Kuemper had started their pro careers at the same time, Kuemper would be getting more starts.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Meh. Keumper will be the Wild's Pogge.

Hackett will be a decent backup.

Gustafsson has the potential to steal the starting job.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Gustaffson has really impressed...as for his style progressing to the NHL game well I'm not sure. He plays very deep in his net has a wide stance and relies on reflexes a lot.

That being said his rebound control and consistency are great and the numbers he is putting up in the SEL and his WJC numbers have been unreal.

For him I think he's a long term project as is Kuemper. Kuemper like Gustaffson has an excellent track record that includes CHL goalie of the year.(not an easy award to win) But needs at least 2-3 years of AHL experience and he needs to start stealing more starts from Hackett before he gets my vote.

Both have the potential to be starting goalies IMO but for right now the label of goalie of the future has to be put on Hackett because he is the closest and will be the first of the 3 to play in the NHL regularly.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Pogge played his first one-and-a-half seasons in the Western Hockey League (WHL) with the Prince George Cougars before being dealt to the Calgary Hitmen at the 2004–05 trade deadline. After his rookie season with the Cougars, he was drafted in the third round, 90th overall, by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. He was then signed to a three-year, entry-level contract by the Leafs on December 19, 2005. Playing for the Hitmen in 2005–06, Pogge was awarded the Four Broncos Memorial Trophy as league MVP as well as the CHL Goaltender of the Year Award and Del Wilson Trophy as the top WHL goaltender with a 1.72 goals against average (GAA) and 11 shutouts.

I've seen Keumper play and everything about him screams Justin Pogge all over again. Style, previous performances, how he appears to handle pressure...

Maybe a sports psychologist could hypnotize these young goalies to stop replaying the last weak goal they let in and focus on the *now* and stop the next one...

Just sayin'...

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
I don't see Fletcher trading anyone.

Gus to me is the best of the 3 and will not be going anywhere.

Kuemper or Hackett will eventually get moved, I see Hackett as the odd man out just because he may have the most value because of what he has shown. Would I trade Hackett for a 2/3 rd pick???? seems like a bad deal, may as well ride them all out and see what shakes down.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Paul Deutsch

But I am not as high on Hackett as I was this summer. Wouldn't surprise me if any of our three prospects ended up being the guy. I am really liking Gustafsson, as of right now.

I know he's not a Wild prospect, but Vasilevski is going to be so damn good.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Someone we haven't drafted yet. Gustafsson has potential, but I don't see any of them being the Wild's long-term solution in net.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Well, last time Wild brass looked for a quick solution, and they found one in the promised land of NHL goalies... Finland.

I trust they will do the same, and they shall succeed. But who will it be?

Vesa Toskala. Watch, he will win the Vezina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad