GMBM Press Conference @4pm

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Given that they've only spoken to one UFA, it doesn't sound like they plan to be active at all on July 1st.

Yeah, my guess is we raid the bargain bin of guys who make it past the first couple days.

Hopefully there's still a good target or two left by then.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Given that they've only spoken to one UFA, it doesn't sound like they plan to be active at all on July 1st.

There are a lot of moving pieces here. The only thing we really need as far as outside help is on D: Niskanen is the best one available so I assume it's him

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well, there's just two "holes" in the lineup, and both can be filled internally (top nine LW and top four RD). Depending on the Spezza return, we really only need one UFA acquisition.

What? With spezza,michalek,hemsky gone..we have..

First line players:Ryan(2 holes)
Second line players: MacArthur, turris, zibanejad
The rest are bottom 6

First line d: karlsson
Second line d: methot
The rest have only proved to be able to easily handle the bottom pair or less. Ceci could join methot as well as cowen.

We are definitely missing 2 first line forwards and 1 first line d. The rest we can fill from within.

What well end up doing is going the cheap route and put 2nd line guys on our first line and put third line guys on our second line.

I don't think spezzas return brings us a first line player. So we're still missing 3 first liners which equals atleast 15million. Melnyk doesn't want to spend.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I should clarify that I don't really care if they are active at all in free agency - just that I thought it was worth pointing out.

There are a lot of moving pieces here. The only thing we really need as far as outside help is on D: Niskanen is the best one available so I assume it's him

The team already has 7 defensemen on one-way deals in addition to Ceci. I don't imagine they'll be adding a ninth, especially with obvious holes up front due to the likely departures of Hemsky, Michalek, and Spezza (?).

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

The rest are bottom 6

The rest have only proved to be able to easily handle the bottom pair or less. Ceci could join methot as well as cowen.

We are definitely missing 2 first line forwards and 1 first line d. The rest we can fill from within.

What well end up doing is going the cheap route and put 2nd line guys on our first line and put third line guys on our second line.

I don't think spezzas return brings us a first line player. So we're still missing 3 first liners which equals atleast 15million. Melnyk doesn't want to spend.

I wouldn't even technically pencil in DJ ZBad as a top 6 just yet either.
Depending on what happens with Spezza, we either need to find 2 wingers for him or an entire first line. Mac-Turris-Ryan I'd still run with as a 1b/2 line.

We also still need a veteran defenseman who can play top 4 minutes so Phillips doesn't have to do 20 minutes a night and can stay away from the PP. I'd still like to see Boyle come over for a couple years since he's going to market.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I see the entire thing as posturing. They are telling other teams to up their game because the will not get Spezza at a bargain basement price. They have also been linked to kicking the tires on Stastny (due diligence, we will never get him) plus Niskanen. They are probably taking a laying in the weeds and waiting approach to trying to snag the latter.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

The rest are bottom 6

If Milo leaves, then 3 holes. If not:

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Zibanejad-Stone
Hoffman-Smith-Lazar
Greening-Pageau-Neil/Condra

Ideally, a top nine RW or LW would make that group better. Two if Milo is gone.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Wiercioch
Phillips-Ceci

Ideally, a top four RD to take Wier's spot (Boyle/Niskanen/Stralman).

Writing things up like you did makes it sound and look more complicated than it is. In fact, the way you put things, we need to acquire like 5 new players. Do you really think that will happen?

Karlsson2Turris*

I see the entire thing as posturing. They are telling other teams to up their game because the will not get Spezza at a bargain basement price. They have also been linked to kicking the tires on Stastny (due diligence, we will never get him) plus Niskanen. They are probably taking a laying in the weeds and waiting approach to trying to snag the latter.

Yeah I agree. Why else would he even call a press conference in the first place? I don't think Vancouver is doing that regarding Kesler and GMBM did not have to have a press conference just to give the fans and media an update...

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Murray is so confusing in what he's trying to say in his press conferences that I'd rather just wait and see what happens rather than predict what he's going to do..

Based on what's going on with this organization over the past 2 years.. do UFAs even want to play here? Do we have enough money to throw at them to convince them to play? Don't think we're dealing at a position of strength when it comes to free agents based on how last season went..

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Dorion just said Cole Schneider is done as well.

1 year, two-way.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I do like the fact that Murray's trying to get the best deal possible and not trading away Spezza out of desperation. Saw what you want about Spezza but he's a hell of a player when he's healthy and among the very best playmaking centres in the league. I don't know what was going on with his back at the beginning of the season but when he was healthy he produced like we all know he can.. at point per game pace.

I know we won't get full value for Spezza, but let's get something pretty damn close to it in the form of a young player and a prospect at least

Just hope he can get it done before next season.

Oct 10, 2010
Murray is so confusing in what he's trying to say in his press conferences that I'd rather just wait and see what happens rather than predict what he's going to do..

Based on what's going on with this organization over the past 2 years.. do UFAs even want to play here? Do we have enough money to throw at them to convince them to play? Don't think we're dealing at a position of strength when it comes to free agents based on how last season went..

They will always have to overpay.
We are like EDM east minus the $$$

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I have to say I really don't know what to expect in the coming days. I'm not sure if I'll be disappointed or happily surprised with the package we receive. So many conflicting messages in the past few days.

Probably Benoit Pouliot :shakehead

He's the last thing we need.

Lehnsanity

Oct 10, 2012
Ottawa

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Zibanejad-Stone
Hoffman-Smith-Lazar

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Wiercioch
Phillips-Ceci

Writing things up like you did makes it sound and look more complicated than it is. In fact, the way you put things, we need to acquire like 5 new players. Do you really think that will happen?

We just signed gryba today... So no we don't need another rhd

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Dear god I hope BM does not drag the Spezza situation out into the summer or longer... Going to be another gong show if he does. That being said I think the comment is purely for posturing and leverage.

I feel offers might actually soften after the draft as well... So right now the time is ripe.

The only gong show lies in the paranoia vehicle that is these message boards

The rest are bottom 6

Doom & gloom approach

I think Stone will be a top-6 forward right away. His hockey sense/IQ is through the roof. Also a lot of tenacity in him and velocity on his shot. Great playmaking ability too and good along the boards. The kind of player who has so many strengths that he doesn't need to be fast. He needs to play with veterans though so based on chemistry I have seen :

MacArthur-Turris-Stone/Other
xxx-Zibanejad-Ryan
xxx-xxx-Stone/Other

Will fight for the last 4 Top-9 spots : Lazar, Michalek?, UFA?, Hoffman, Puempel, Smith, Greening, Pageau...

Depending on who we get, he could play with MacTurr istead of Stone, who would be relegated to the 3rd line.

We're going with offense by comitee because 1 line-teams don't work anymore.

Condra and Neil will play on the 4th line with others that can't make the top-9

On defense, future is very bright. But I'm not going to argue, it's not worth it. I have made other posts about it already

Of course, nothing in life is guaranteed except death and a few other things so it's needless to say that this team will make the playoffs or not. It could work out well as soon as this year. But anyway, it's wayyyyyyyyyy too early to say anything. We'll have a much better idea in a week or 2

EDIT : Did I say it was too early? I'm putting emphasis on this because IT IS.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Interesting. Thought that was part of the asking price for Spezza; does this mean he's no longer trying to have one included?

From what I understood from the presser it sounded like a separate thought. As in, unrelated to Spezza, he doesn't feel like he wants to pay the price to acquire a first round pick. Nor is he shopping for one.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I should clarify that I don't really care if they are active at all in free agency - just that I thought it was worth pointing out.

The team already has 7 defensemen on one-way deals in addition to Ceci. I don't imagine they'll be adding a ninth, especially with obvious holes up front due to the likely departures of Hemsky, Michalek, and Spezza (?).

If you can get Niskanen or Stralman you make it work

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Dorion just said Cole Schneider is done as well.

1 year, two-way.

Nice, I have a feeling this guy will end up as a solid bottom-6 player, a bit like Winchester but on Wing

We need a top four RD. Gryba definitely isn't that lol.

Karlsson, Gryba... Ceci

If we don't acquire another RD, it means they want to rely on Ceci. I'd be fine with that if he plays like last year. We're not going for the Cup anyway so we need to develop the young guys and it comes with playing time.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'd prefer to get a two year stopgap like Boyle.

You also have to consider who Cowen's partner will be. Methot likey plays with Karlsson. Cowen and Ceci is inexperienced and shaky. Cowen was at his best with Gonchar at his side, we would be better off having a guy like Boyle/Stralman beside Cowen IMO. Veteran calming presence.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Zibanejad-Stone
Hoffman-Smith-Lazar

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Wiercioch
Phillips-Ceci

The problem with this is were banking on guys who are not proven to play big minutes. I'd rather have proven guys, and let the stones of the world prove themselves on the third line first and then I would open up a spot for them via trade. I don't like handing stone, weircioch, and cowen top 2 lines when they haven't proven to be able to handle it yet. Going into the season hoping for everything to go right with our young guys is gonna be a disaster. Ideally we should bring in 2 top 6 forwards and 2 top 4 d. That way cowen and weircioch can play the third pair and gain confidence. Phillips should have been let go. Ceci can go to the ahl to develop his offensive game and gain confidence. Gryba the extra. Of course its too late for that.

With the forwards we need 2 top 6 forwards pushing zibby and stone to the third line so they can rack up points against weaker competition like when we had havlat. That would push condra out of the lineup.

But of course we're cheap so well force young guys into roles they aren't ready for which goes against the Detroit model we were trying to emulate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad