GMBM Press Conference @4pm

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Dear god I hope BM does not drag the Spezza situation out into the summer or longer... Going to be another gong show if he does. That being said I think the comment is purely for posturing and leverage.

I feel offers might actually soften after the draft as well... So right now the time is ripe.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I don't think I'd be able to handle it dragging out all summer. I'm already hanging on by threads right now, threads.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Dear god I hope BM does not drag the Spezza situation out into the summer or longer... Going to be another gong show if he does. That being said I think the comment is purely for posturing and leverage.

I feel offers might actually soften after the draft as well... So right now the time is ripe.

I strongly disagree, teams are always looking for that player to get into the playoffs next season. Could easily find a deal (sort of like the Vanek one).

We dont need a 1st rounder this draft, we have enough young talent.

Much rather collect as many picks for next year.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I doubt it will drag on all summer too be honest. It might happen after july 1st though. I honestly bet trades will start to happen once stastny signs with a team. I guarantee you that he is the player that is currently holding up the trade market right now.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I wouldn't worry about Murray not trading Spezza until the season or all summer. That's obviously just a negotiating tactic to get a better return for Spezza.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Spezza is a PPG top line centre

Either we get a decent return or we start the year with him

It's win win

I don't expect him to be here to start next season but I wouldn't be mad about having our best forward in the line up either

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think with Stastny testing the market, maybe he waits a week for Stastny to (hopefully) re-sign in Colorado.

Lecavalier and Brad Richards at centre are consolation prizes more than anything. Stastny, Spezza, and Kesler seem to be the best guys available. If Stastny stays with Colorado, that leaves Anaheim, Chicago, St.Louis, and Dallas left to fight over Spezza and Kesler.

It probably helps that three of them are in the Central. Hopefully Anaheim being in Vancouver's division means the price for Kesler would be higher for them.

I think dragging out Spezza means he won't be traded at the draft because he doesn't have to be, but he'll be gone in a week when somebody finally ups their offer due to other options disappearing and the pressure to win in the West.

I could be completely wrong.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
At this point, teams have a rough idea about the interests of free agents, so every team can start playing little games to increase or decrease Spezza's value.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
- more talk but not a lot
- new names brought up
- couple more teams interested
- when you trade a player like spezza you will never win the trade
- you wont get a player of spezza caliber or close to it
- this weekend doesn't have to be a cut off point
- most inquiries have been about spezza
- talked to one ufa and expressed some interest and will talk later
- Will talk to Michalek agent again this weekend
- couple of teams have made offers for spezza but not comfortable saying he is close to a deal..doesn't have an offer he doesn't like yet
- If deal is not good enough Spezza will remain a senator going into the season
- hard to get a 1st round pick...he is not shopping for one at this point

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Doesn't seem like a deal is close...could be mind games

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Have to remember that Murray is a master at mind games. Who got that picture with that mind game book in his book shelf when he re-signed a player (Turris IIRC)??

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Doesn't seem like a deal is close...could be mind games

We honestly really do not know whether a deal is close or not. A deal could in fact be close, but Murray is making those comments just to see if a better offer comes into play.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i think it is safe t say we wont be getting a tarasenko or schwartz as most knew would be the case

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Somebody please find and post this!

Murray_zpsb9448865.png

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Smart move by BM. Let the market settle down with Stastny/Kesler/etc. Then get a team desperate enough to land Spezza to pay.

From the sounds of it he is waiting for the right deal, which is OK with me. Even though it will disappoint the masses here who can't wait for the deal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
- more talk but not a lot
- new names brought up
- couple more teams interested
- when you trade a player like spezza you will never win the trade
- you wont get a player of spezza caliber or close to it
- this weekend doesn't have to be a cut off point
- most inquiries have been about spezza
- talked to one ufa and expressed some interest and will talk later
- Will talk to Michalek agent again this weekend
- couple of teams have made offers for spezza but not comfortable saying he is close to a deal..doesn't have an offer he doesn't like yet
- If deal is not good enough Spezza will remain a senator going into the season
- hard to get a 1st round pick...he is not shopping for one at this point

Interesting. Thought that was part of the asking price for Spezza; does this mean he's no longer trying to have one included?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Given that they've only spoken to one UFA, it doesn't sound like they plan to be active at all on July 1st.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Well, there's just two "holes" in the lineup, and both can be filled internally (top nine LW and top four RD). Depending on the Spezza return, we really only need one UFA acquisition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad