GMBM Press Conference @4pm

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Interesting. Thought that was part of the asking price for Spezza; does this mean he's no longer trying to have one included?

i think he means unless it is part of the spezza deal he wont trade any other assets to get one at this point

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
The Bishop/Conacher trade was definitely a GMBM.

It's so easy to say this but one of 3 goalies HAD to be moved. It wasn't going to be Lehner or Andy. He had to get something back. You don't think if Every GM in the league knew how good he would play that there would have been 15 better offers on the table. So much is speculation. Hindsight is easy.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The Bishop/Conacher trade was definitely a GMBM.

In hindsight, however, Conacher was looking pretty good when we got him, and there isn't much of a premium market for young unproven goaltenders, given the sheer amount of them out there.

The thing is, you can't hit a homerun like Turris, if you don't miss a few pitches like Conacher.

The nice thing is that we didn't really lose much with the departure of Bishop, regardless of what we got back given that he was the third of our three tenders.

As an aside, this is the opposite of trading Spezza, we need to maximize the return because we will be losing a ton with his departure no matter what we get back.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
In hindsight, however, Conacher was looking pretty good when we got him, and there isn't much of a premium market for young unproven goaltenders, given the sheer amount of them out there.

The thing is, you can't hit a homerun like Turris, if you don't miss a few pitches like Conacher.

The nice thing is that we didn't really lose much with the departure of Bishop, regardless of what we got back given that he was the third of our three tenders.

As an aside, this is the opposite of trading Spezza, we need to maximize the return because we will be losing a ton with his departure no matter what we get back.

The initial investment to get Bishop was just a 2nd round pick (that's where Murray made his coup)... and Bishop helped us make the playoffs 2 years in a row with Andy injuries (and Lehner being too young). On top of that, still got back Conacher (top-3 Rookie of the Year) + a 4th round pick (Tobias Lindberg, way too early to tell). If you re-visit the trade thread, you'll find that the VAST majority of people were more than happy with the return, and even thought it was a steal... For sure, it was much better value than what we gave up to get Bishop.

That's the asset management perspective. People who whine about that deal might not have the ability to see the bigger picture.

Now WHAT is really funny, is the usual whiners were whining too for what we gave up to get bishop... It goes like this :

1) give a 2nd for Bishop = whine
2) trade Bishop for Conacher + 4th = happy
3) Bishop has a great season but not Conacher = whine
4) profit

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The initial investment to get Bishop was just a 2nd round pick (that's where Murray made his coup)... and Bishop helped us make the playoffs 2 years in a row with Andy injuries (and Lehner being too young). On top of that, still got back Conacher (top-3 Rookie of the Year) + a 4th round pick (Tobias Lindberg, way too early to tell). If you re-visit the trade thread, you'll find that the VAST majority of people were more than happy with the return, and even thought it was a steal... For sure, it was much better value than what we gave up to get Bishop.

That's the asset management perspective. People who whine about that deal might not have the ability to see the bigger picture.

Now WHAT is really funny, is the usual whiners were whining too for what we gave up to get bishop... It goes like this :

1) give a 2nd for Bishop = whine
2) trade Bishop for Conacher + 4th = happy
3) Bishop has a great season but not Conacher = whine
4) profit

Yeah, there definitely is a lot of hindsight. I was happy with the trade that moved Bishop out, and I remember thinking that a second seemed a bit steep for Bishop in the deal that brought him in. I think people forget that he is not a 20 year old goalie, but is in fact a 27 year old journeyman who had been around for a while but never really put it together until the lockout year. I am one of those people who is predicting that his bubble will burst this season, and he will regress to his career norms.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, there definitely is a lot of hindsight. I was happy with the trade that moved Bishop out, and I remember thinking that a second seemed a bit steep for Bishop in the deal that brought him in. I think people forget that he is not a 20 year old goalie, but is in fact a 27 year old journeyman who had been around for a while but never really put it together until the lockout year. I am one of those people who is predicting that his bubble will burst this season, and he will regress to his career norms.

Yup, a bit like Elliott. So many goalies had relative short peaks. And even then last year, Bishop showed a lot of regress down the stretch, and also so many injuries.

I like him but I would be very surprised to see him become a consistent top-10 goalie in the league

My opinion on the trades was they were initially both great, but unfortunately the 2nd didn't work out. It's possible to salvage it out with Lindberg, but what I don't understand is the little patience they had with Conacher... I know he was small but I thought he was useful with his speed and his gallagherism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad