CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Some of us call those divers...
1680491088458.png

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Judging by icetime, seems like Boeser is here to stay and Garland may be the one gone.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Evenly played game. Canucks get a bounce or two and they at least get a point.

One thing to like was the overall play of Rathbone. This is the best he has looked at this level. Moving the puck quicker and generally staying out of trouble. One thing he needs to work on is not to get backed in by speed coming at him across the blue line. Could see that some of the Kaliyev goal. LA got a nice bounce but Rathbone needed to engage Kaliyev faster and force him wider.

Hirose looked pretty cool under pressure. Gives the impression of being confident and maybe a little cocky.

Boeser is picking it up a bit and had chances. However, still not putting away the puck like he was earlier in his career. Remains a big question mark heading into next season.

McDonough struggled with the pace and pressure in this game. Got dumped on his butt a couple of times. NO doubt he is going to have some growing pains.

Seemed likes the load players like Pettersson, Miller and Hughes have ben shouldering was little more evident in this game.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Some of us call those divers...
Yea with him it is definately a thin line between selling and diving, he definitely embellishes them but is smart enough to do it when a penalty would be called. Homer take for sure but I wouldnt call him a diver yet, best penalty salesman the league has seen in a while though

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Watching the PVR about 5 minutes into the 2nd period, going to go back to work and finish it up later. Inital thoughts:

I thought Rathbone looks a lot better - he moves the puck well, look comfortable, is generally making good decisions. But, that pair was semi-disastrous and it's mostly Bear's fault. You can fault Rathbone for maybe being a bit late engaging some rushes but Bear keeps pressuring the puck carrier on Rathbone's side and they didn't always switch back in time so it created some unnecessary zone time.

Hirose looks pretty slick so far and actually a better defenceman than Myers already lol. But I guess pairing him with Myers is one way to get a rookie to sink or swim lol.

Problem with Myers is he's constantly neither here nor there. He gets the puck and he has immediate tunnel vision. He thinks he is the sole outlet for the puck which is why he so often just lofts it out of the zone and kills possession even when there is minimal pressure on him. Like Hirose was in trouble in his own corner and made a slick turnaround to pass the puck to Myers behind the net....except Myers had already skated to almost the hash marks as if he was trying to blow the zone or something. Another few times Hirose attempted a D-to-D pass to relieve the forecheck pressure and Myers was shocked and unprepared to take one of the most basic plays in hockey. So Myers takes too long to make a quick up and doesn't utilize his d-partner to change the outlet angle most of the time. It's no wonder he's an offensive black hole. Myers on PP2 was pretty much a joke, somehow he can't get his shot off and despite his reach he can't keep the puck in on the blueline.

First goal against was Hughes' fault for chasing his guy up to the blueline. That left Burroughs I think in an impossible position where he had to defend the net front guy as well as the pass option on Hughes' vacated left side.

We didn't see so much defensive freelancing even a week or two ago. IMO that's why things have been falling apart. Guys not sticking to their sides, chasing their check so they get drawn out of position. Actually it has mostly been the NHL guys (Hughes, Myers, Bear), and they have been guilty of this since the old Green "puck pressure" days. I find the Abby pairs tend to play a safer and simpler game. I think you can forgive Quinn because of his risk/reward ratio but when guys like Bear who has been marginal despite his earlier run of good play or Myers who of course has his own Chaos Field do this it starts to break down the game and eventually there's a catastrophic breakdown.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
OEL *AND* Myers off the roster? I would think Alvin should win executive of the year in a runaway vote if it didn't require giving up multiple 1st round picks.

If he can get both of the payroll and off the cap without giving up multiple first then I agree. Any idiot can buy them out

Maybe the Canucks can be pioneers and revolutionize pro sports, hire 3-4 part-time head coaches per year.

Rotate between Bordeau and Tocchet. 20/21 games each then one series each in the playoffs

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Given the lines they iced, the only chance for the Canucks in this game was their PP. But unfortunately it went 0-4. And that was pretty well it, because five-on-five they generated nothing.

Kings played hard enough to win; and the Canucks generally looked slow and lethargic. One thing that will have to change next season is the Canucks work along the wall. They just don't have the size and strength to play the kind of 'big-boy' hockey that Tocchet wants. And big changes are clearly needed on the blueline....but then we already knew that.

Although it won't be popular opinion, Demko has looked shaky in the last three outings, after after a strong comeback immediately following his injury.

Let's face it.......heading into the off-season, the goaltending is a question mark. What version of Demko will they get? The guy who struggled horribly at the start to the season, or the bubble version of Demko?

He has to be a lot more consistent for the Canucks to have any hope next season.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
How was Hirose tonight? Couldn’t watchi

You mean playing Petey and Hughes 30 minutes a night in meaningless games isn’t a good strategy? Shocking.

disgraceful that his nhl debut is with Tyler myers. Because of,this it kinda also slowed down hirose. Overall I thought he was ok for a nhl debut. Nothing fancy or horrible.

but Myers.

my gosh he’s f in checked out. He was terrible.
he’s the type of guy you have around for a tank season.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
disgraceful that his nhl debut is with Tyler myers. Because of,this it kinda also slowed down hirose. Overall I thought he was ok for a nhl debut. Nothing fancy or horrible.

but Myers.

my gosh he’s f in checked out. He was terrible.
he’s the type of guy you have around for a tank season.

Myers already prepping his boat and cruise the Okanagan once the off-season hits. You’ll see him at Craft Beer Market Kelowna for days

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Would be curious to know our PP stats with and without Bo?

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
EP's offseason needs to be watching endless Draisatl highlight reels. The one black mark on his season, is the powerplay dying on his stick.

With Miller being a lefty on the other side, EP is our main trigger man, and just doesn't have any kind of shot selection that makes sense.

Drai is an absolute wizard getting that 1 timer off from the right side. He doesn't need a perfect pass or angle, doesn't take a massive wind up, just zero hesitation and accurate.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Has you been glad with burroughs? Is he the real deal and staying with the team the rest of the season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad