Post-Game Talk: [GM76] Canucks lose to Kings | 1-4 | Boeser

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks were in a 'life and death' struggle for a playoff spot, I could understand driving Hughes like a stolen car.

But what's the point in games that mean virtually nothing? I suppose it's partially a reflection of the dismal options right now on the blueline. But still, the ice time allocation is ridiculous.

Hughes isn't the biggest body in the world and as slippery and skillful as he is in avoiding contract, sooner or later he's going to get crunched. Other teams know he's virtually the only threat the Canucks have out there, and they're gunning for him.

I suppose in another week, Hughes will have five months to rest up. But there'd better be a re-think by the coaching staff by next season.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
If the Canucks were in a 'life and death' struggle for a playoff spot, I could understand driving Hughes like a stolen car.

But what's the point in games that mean virtually nothing? I suppose it's partially a reflection of the dismal options right now on the blueline. But still, the ice time allocation is ridiculous.

Hughes isn't the biggest body in the world and as slippery and skillful as he is in avoiding contract, sooner or later he's going to get crunched. Other teams know he's virtually the only threat the Canucks have out there, and they're gunning for him.

I suppose in another week, Hughes will have five months to rest up. But there'd better be a re-think by the coaching staff by next season.
Honestly the only thing I can think of is Toch trying to boost his team record for the year or Hughes requesting to play that much.

Either way, Hughes is running a higher risk of injury in meaningless games.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Honestly the only thing I can think of is Toch trying to boost his team record for the year or Hughes requesting to play that much.

Either way, Hughes is running a higher risk of injury in meaningless games.
Honestly, for every smart decision this organization makes, they match it 10 to 1 with unforced errors. Makes it really difficult not to doubt everything, when 90% of what they do is just wrong. Maybe these new guys are very slightly changing the ratio, but it's still very deep on the wrong side of "smart moves"

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022

But why?

He’s been a good soldier, plays tough and always willing to stick up for his teammates.

I would bring him back to be the 7th guy next year on a cheap contract

Now I'm bout that sire! He a tough soulja for real. Seen some of his games. The man eats ears off like tyson did :clap:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This game sucked to watch, but I was impressed with McDonough. Got in on the forecheck well, stole some pucks and made some plays. Not seeing his mobility as a big hindrance.

Reactions: Grantham

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Was at the game and the defense were in over their heads and it's why in a close game that Hughes was getting overplayed as he was the only one capable of making plays coming through the trap

Hirose to be expected. Looked nervous and timid, on puck predictable plays which LA was having no issues returning pressure or cutting off. Was looking to unload quickly and defer to Myers who has enough of his own issues (chasing out of position on the 2nd LA goal allowing Arvidsson all kinds of time to walk out from the corner) and predictably cannot capitalize on any offensive opportunities anymore. A couple weak wristers at the net where he had time to lean into them but is too slow or tired to. Not an easy situation for Hirose so we'll see how he does going forward.

I'm starting to have some concerns about Ethan Bear. That performance last night was not acceptable. Lack of engagement from a player that just got heralded as some kind of big acquisition and important piece going forward is not good. Have to hope he wasn't feeling well or has something nagging because if not it's a good indicator of why Brind Amour was parking his butt.

Jack Rathbone is a fun player when the team gets over center ice but in his own zone and even in transition he makes way too many mistakes. Had 3 really bad first passes without pressure and misses opportunities to transition. Is poor in coverage and 1v1 battles. Still very much a work in progress but was ok overall last night just not good

Burroughs is a capable 4RD being asked to do too much

Reactions: Foundational Player

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This game sucked to watch, but I was impressed with McDonough. Got in on the forecheck well, stole some pucks and made some plays. Not seeing his mobility as a big hindrance.

I’ve felt he’s looked ok on the forecheck and tracks the play back ok defensively but as soon as he’s stuck in a contained defensive situation he’s standing around looking lost.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’ve felt he’s looked ok on the forecheck and tracks the play back ok defensively but as soon as he’s stuck in a contained defensive situation he’s standing around looking lost.

I agree with that - but also kind of expect it for a rookie playing his first pro games. (He’s also in good company with a lot of other Canucks players struggling in that regard)

Reactions: geebaan, me2 and MS

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I hope they re-sign Burroughs. He's been a great depth piece and brings a skill set that our other defenders don't.

Reactions: Vector and Grantham

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Was at the game and the defense were in over their heads and it's why in a close game that Hughes was getting overplayed as he was the only one capable of making plays coming through the trap

Hirose to be expected. Looked nervous and timid, on puck predictable plays which LA was having no issues returning pressure or cutting off. Was looking to unload quickly and defer to Myers who has enough of his own issues (chasing out of position on the 2nd LA goal allowing Arvidsson all kinds of time to walk out from the corner) and predictably cannot capitalize on any offensive opportunities anymore. A couple weak wristers at the net where he had time to lean into them but is too slow or tired to. Not an easy situation for Hirose so we'll see how he does going forward.

I'm starting to have some concerns about Ethan Bear. That performance last night was not acceptable. Lack of engagement from a player that just got heralded as some kind of big acquisition and important piece going forward is not good. Have to hope he wasn't feeling well or has something nagging because if not it's a good indicator of why Brind Amour was parking his butt.

Jack Rathbone is a fun player when the team gets over center ice but in his own zone and even in transition he makes way too many mistakes. Had 3 really bad first passes without pressure and misses opportunities to transition. Is poor in coverage and 1v1 battles. Still very much a work in progress but was ok overall last night just not good

Burroughs is a capable 4RD being asked to do too much
This is what I've been seeing as well..There is only one legit top 4 D man on the team (I think we can say that Myers isnt one this season), and the rest are bottom pairing D men...Bear has been wildly inconsistent.

Even though Miller,EP,Kuz, Demko and Hughes are playing well, a good patient team will wait for our inexperienced D man to start cracking...We've witnessed it the last two games.

Canucks can still beat bottom feeders and middling teams with this lineup, but they'll be hard pressed to beat the good teams.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes this is what stood out to me watching him closely live. He moves around ok has some solid positional understanding and is keeping it simple but as pucks start to move around quickly he gets lost and is providing large gaps for the opposition in recovery.

His skating and coverage as is in a bottom 6 or 4th line role is not adequate but it's also fair to give these guys some time to adjust to new surroundings and the NHL game and role they will be tasked with going forward. For McDonagh it's more about next year and just getting his feet wet and scoring a goal has been a nice story. He has a lot of work to do

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
.Athough it won't be popular opinion, Demko has looked shaky in the last three outings, after after a strong comeback immediately following his injury.

Let's face it.......heading into the off-season, the goaltending is a question mark. What version of Demko will they get? The guy who struggled horribly at the start to the season, or the bubble version of Demko?

I think they need a backup that can comfortably take 30+ starts if needed. I don't think Demko had shown he can handle a heavy load (yet, maybe next year maybe not). If I'm planning for next year I wouldn't want him overworked.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I kept noticing Rathbone in the same situation where he's in his own zone behind the net with the puck. He looks to the left and sees a forechecker coming, then looks on the right and sees a forechecker coming, then panics and tries to freeze the puck along the boards instead of moving it out. Ends up getting the puck taken.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad