Post-Game Talk: [GM7] Canucks defeat Blues | 5-0 (Hughes (2), Di Giuseppe, Miller, & Mikheyev) | Return of the PGT!

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Just going to throw it out there, I didn't hate Myers' game last night. That breakaway pass was solid. If he is kept to reasonable minutes he can be a net neutral and maybe sometimes a positive.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yes - in other words we have been incredibly lucky.

That didn’t include the last 2 games
Which have been great

Vancouver was solid agaibst Edmonton then got outshot pretty bad for like 4 games like surrendering periods with 15+ shots.

Then have been very good for 2 games in a row

So we’ll see at the 20 game mark, as I’m curious if we improve in the next 12 games.
Underlying numbers for any team are fluctuating because the sample is so small right now.

Reactions: DFAC and I am toxic

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That game could easily have been 8 or even 9-0. Binnington was both good, and lucky at times.

That might have been one of the most listless performances by a road-team at Rogers Arena in a long time. Total domination in the first period--outshot 19-3.

Sportsnet color man Dave Tomlinson speculated that back-to-backs early in season are a killer for the players, who are still adjusting to playing two games in 24 hours. I guess he's speaking from playing experience.

But it's good the Canucks rested some of their best players in the third period. Because they're facing their own 'back-to-back' this evening against a very tough opponent.

Reactions: bh53 and Jay26

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
It’s too early to tell anything.

2 games ago they were 31st in Corsi and now they’re 16th.

They’re rocking a high PDO but that’s based mostly on 2 blowouts.

The performances in games 2-3 vs. games 6-7 are so different, who really knows where things will go.

Score effects and being on the road are a big factor as well. If you adjust for that the Canucks look somewhat better.

That said, we shouldn't expect to see the Canucks outscoring the opposition 2:1 at 5v5 moving forward. They have definitely been lucky.

Reactions: bh53, quat and MS

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't really care about the charts/analytics/etc with it being so early. I will say that this is a 5-2 team that is playing like a 5-2 team so there's definitely some confidence there that it's somewhat sustainable for them to play winning hockey.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Even as a sceptic of this roster I have to agree that xgf needs a bigger sample size than 6 or 7 games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Score effects and being on the road are a big factor as well. If you adjust for that the Canucks look somewhat better.

That said, we shouldn't expect to see the Canucks outscoring the opposition 2:1 at 5v5 moving forward. They have definitely been lucky.

For sure.

Although most of our luck was also in that Edmonton game which we deserved to win but really shouldn’t have been 8-1. Terrible goaltending and some very lucky breaks.

Remove that game or turn it to 4-1 and we’re statistically a lot less lucky while still holding the same record.

Reactions: bh53

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
For sure.

Although most of our luck was also in that Edmonton game which we deserved to win but really shouldn’t have been 8-1. Terrible goaltending and some very lucky breaks.

Remove that game or turn it to 4-1 and we’re statistically a lot less lucky while still holding the same record.

Oh for sure. For instance, last night the Blues were throwing everything on the net after the 1st period, with very few actually scoring chances. They managed to get closer with the "possession" metrics without actually being much of a threat to actually score.

I sometimes wonder whether the advanced stats are affecting how teams play in these situations. Teams seem focussed on piling up low percentage plays to make the game appear closer than it actually is. Shots directed from the outside with the goalie having a clear view of the puck count as a scoring opportunity in the advanced stats report when they really aren't.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Oh for sure. For instance, last night the Blues were throwing everything on the net after the 1st period, with very few actually scoring chances. They managed to get closer with the "possession" metrics without actually being much of a threat to actually score.

I sometimes wonder whether the advanced stats are affecting how teams play in these situations. Teams seem focussed on piling up low percentage plays to make the game appear closer than it actually is. Shots directed from the outside with the goalie having a clear view of the puck count as a scoring opportunity in the advanced stats report when they really aren't.

Yeah, last night also in addition to regular score effects we also slashed the icetime of our key players in the 3rd and some of the sloppiness and extra chances we saw late was the direct result result of that.

Reactions: Ernie

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Myers got over 17 minutes last night due to the score so Tocchet could keep his top Dmen's icetime down since it's btb games. Glad that didn't cost Demmer the SO
He was actually okay last night. Not great by any means, but he played a fairly efficient and tidy game in his own end. No weird skating routes or too many overtly bad passes. He just sort of poked the puck into a decent position for his teammate to skate onto it and continued to read the play. Simple Myers is a passable 3rd pairing option.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tocchet is pretty shrewd in terms of management players' minutes---which will pay off over a long season.

Hughes was one the ice for only 19 minutes and almost shut down in the third period. And Hronek had his minutes reduced as well. And he's alternating goalies to keep Demko healthy to start 40-50 games, instead of his usual 60-plus.

Hopefully starts to pay off tonight against a Rangers team that's as hot as they are.

Reactions: I am toxic and bh53

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Again, another strong game in the area that needed improvement - reducing shots/chances against.

STL didn't get a ton in their rush game. 3rd period was sloppier, but chalk it up to score effects at that point.

Reactions: Vector

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Again, another strong game in the area that needed improvement - reducing shots/chances against.

STL didn't get a ton in their rush game. 3rd period was sloppier, but chalk it up to score effects at that point.

Also Hughes and Hronek playing 2 and 3 ES shifts in the third, respectively.

Savvy move by Tocchet.

Tocchet might be the first coach we've had since Vigneault who manages ice-time not-insanely.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Also Hughes and Hronek playing 2 and 3 ES shifts in the third, respectively.

Savvy move by Tocchet.

Tocchet might be the first coach we've had since Vigneault who manages ice-time not-insanely.
I mean, sitting your star players in a blowout is pretty standard.

Not to discredit Tocchet, he's been pushing the right buttons. But resting Hughes in a 5-0 game is pretty normal for any coach.

Reactions: Vector

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops

This is exactly why I've never bought the Carolina Hurricanes.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Stats from a 6 game sample size are meaningless
I’ll go one step further - at around the 10 game mark, xG is no better than G at predicting actual or expected goals over the remainder of the season. Bear this in mind if you’re getting your analytics analysis from a graphic designer.

• Haha
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I was at the bar when the game was on and wasnt sure if Demko made this save or not but does anyone remember when the puck went across east to west and he stretched his right leg out ..was that a toe save? or post? or did the shooter just miss the net?

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I’ll go one step further - at around the 10 game mark, xG is no better than G at predicting actual or expected goals over the remainder of the season. Bear this in mind if you’re getting your analytics analysis from a graphic designer.
Do you have stats to back that up?

;-)

Reactions: RobsonStreet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad