Post-Game Talk: [GM7] Canucks defeat Blues | 5-0 (Hughes (2), Di Giuseppe, Miller, & Mikheyev) | Return of the PGT!

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I’m going to call it now—everyone better get ready for the Canucks to make another big trade during the season.

Specifically—they are going to go all-in on a top-three defenseman to properly establish playoff-contender depth and not burn out Hughes and Hronek by January. Someone with term rather than just a rental.

They are also going to perceive such a motion as critical not just to this season—but also to convince Pettersson that Vancouver is the best place for him to compete for a Stanley Cup.

Think a Hronek 2.0 trade or larger. Keep an eye out for whoever emerges as this year’s Chychrun-like trade candidate. And get ready for the team to trade multiple 1sts.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

To be fair we're probably early enough into the season for this to be easily changeable. Since the Tampa game (using that as the reference point because that's after the Friedman acquisition and the main reason our possession numbers are shit were likely due to Juulsen and Myers) they rank 12th in xGF% and since the Mikheyev return they rank 2nd.

Our xGF% numbers are pretty clearly still skewed from the godawful PHI/EDM games.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I’m going to call it now—everyone better get ready for the Canucks to make another big trade during the season.

Specifically—they are going to go all-in on a top-three defenseman to properly establish playoff-contender depth and not burn out Hughes and Hronek by January. Someone with term rather than just a rental.

They are also going to perceive such a motion as critical not just to this season—but also to convince Pettersson that Vancouver is the best place for him to compete for a Stanley Cup.

Think a Hronek 2.0 trade or larger. Keep an eye out for whoever emerges as this year’s Chychrun-like trade candidate. And get ready for the team to trade multiple 1sts.

And how do you suppose they fit this player under the cap?

You have to be sending out significant money and without sweeteners, no one is taking on bad money.

I dont think we’re in a position to trade away more draft picks or promising prospects

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

You have to be sending out significant money and without sweeteners, no one is taking on bad money.

I dont think we’re in a position to trade away more draft picks or promising prospects
DALL·E 2023-10-21 21.16.16 - A photo realistic giraffe neck sticking out of a blue collar. On...jpeg

I’m not saying the Canucks should be trading away draft picks or prospects. But if you look at their actions over the last 12-months—such a trade fits their modus operandi.

Even if that means spending to acquire and spending to make space to acquire.

Reactions: Indiana and Flik

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I agree, we need 1 more top 4 D-men and we're good.
Top 3 dman

You have to trade Myers and/or Beau and/or Garland.

I’m okay if it’s a player locked up with term and a reasonable contract that is a top 3 (strong preference for RHD).

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Same here. I think the last time I watched the first 7+ games was somewhere back in 2014 or 2015. And by like year five of Benning, I stopped watching entirely. It's nice to actually be excited to watch/listen to games again.
Mirrors my experience, I have stayed on this board and not even commented that much, because what was there to even really say. It’s so nice to know I can tune on the game and enjoy it, and not watch the team get caved in.

It should be pretty obvious to everyone watching.

But Im sure as hell not going to let it stop me from enjoying this run.

I think the biggest difference is the mental make up of the team. To me still the Nashville game was the most impressive. End of a long road trip and just played a solid 60 min game to get it done, against an opponent who is likely going to be trying for one of those wildcard spots we look to get.

I know some people are tossing Horvat under the bus but I think it is Tochet. He has been a revelation for us so far.
I agree with your take on this for both the team and Horvat. I would also say, that the team has really played well the last two games and those advanced stats are a function of a small sample size and us scoring 8 goals against Edmonton. If we keep playing like we are, we will be in the right nabourhood in both results and expected results.

Last edited:

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
To be fair we're probably early enough into the season for this to be easily changeable. Since the Tampa game (using that as the reference point because that's after the Friedman acquisition and the main reason our possession numbers are shit were likely due to Juulsen and Myers) they rank 12th in xGF% and since the Mikheyev return they rank 2nd.

Our xGF% numbers are pretty clearly still skewed from the godawful PHI/EDM games.
This, those charts are basically meaningless right now.

Reactions: MS and arttk

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I went to the game last night. That first period was the most dominant period of NHLhockey I’ve seen. It was absolutely stunning and beautiful to watch. The second was a little chaotic with grade A chances against Demko. But they seemed to settle down and the outcome then was never in doubt.
That wasn’t luck.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Awesome we have a great performance and then immediately have a tough test the following night. Can’t wait for the game!

If we come out and play well against the Rangers I’m going to be running around like that lady from the IKEA commercials.

Start the car!

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
That sounds like a long way of saying “you earn your own luck” . which basically means you play good you get good results. Which is basically saying the Canucks are playing good. And you know what sort of teams play good? Good teams play good.
This cat is pretty bitter. You aren’t going to change him

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Mirrors my experience, I have stayed on this board and not even commented that much, because what was there to even really say. It’s so nice to know I can tune on the game and enjoy it, and not watch the team get caved in.

I agree with your take on this for both the team and Horvat. I would also say, that the team has really played well the last two games and those advanced stats are a function of a small sample size and us scoring 8 goals against Edmonton. If we keep playing like we are, we will be in the right nabourhood in both results and expected results.
I think the stats are a result if consistent bounces our way. Including the PDG goal against Nashville and Hughes 2nd goal.

But I think they are now mentally tougher and will be able to stop the spiraling after a loss or two, unlike previous years.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't think anyone expects them to have many 8 goal performances or win games like game 2. They have had some lucky breaks, especially in the first 4 games.

I think everyone is mainly encouraged by how well they've dictated the last 2 games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So is the 2nd chart trying to say that this team is due to come back down to Earth? Big discrepancy between GF% and xGF%.

It’s too early to tell anything.

2 games ago they were 31st in Corsi and now they’re 16th.

They’re rocking a high PDO but that’s based mostly on 2 blowouts.

The performances in games 2-3 vs. games 6-7 are so different, who really knows where things will go.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops

Really useful contest here, thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad