Post-Game Talk: [GM58] Canucks defeat Blues | 2-3 (OT) | Miller, Kuzmenko, & Pettersson

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Pettersson has 25 points in his last 15 games, which is a 137 point pace. Pettersson's first 2 seasons, he started out the first half of the season strong, then faded in the last half. The last 2 seasons has been the opposite. He has been trending upwards in rapid fashion. Makes you wonder if his ceiling is even a fair bit higher than 100 points. 30 points in the last 23 games is realistic - 105 points.

Pettersson is the kind of player teams tank to have the opportunity to draft.

He's reached another level and there's still more to room to grow (from a leadership perspective at the very least). He's special.

Fren

Feb 18, 2023
Huge character building game for the boys. Ultimately, I think winning like we did will go further in building a winning team than losing and getting slightly better odds at picking Bedard. We’ve got some great pieces to build with.
In complete agreement, here. How can people be this upset at one of the greatest Canucks of all time in Pettersson at 24 years of age winning the Canucks games, and Kuzmenko; a player the Canucks picked up for free looking legitimately elite?

You either try to win with these elite young players (including Hughes and in form Demko), or you trade them all and do a hard reset. If they're putting the team on their back and winning you games, how can you be mad?

Reactions: Indiana

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I'm okay with that.

It's amazing how many people whine about being a loser franchise and then want the team to do things that make them a loser franchise. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. You've got a young stud superstar centre right there doing unreal things on a bad team. It's right there!
Yes, clearly the only approach is to play the living crap out of your best players so you win more games in garbage time to lessen your ability to draft the players that will make said good players want to re-sign.

In the mean time, can we all put to bed this tired pejorative "whine"? Cause it seems like you're whining about people whining and now I'm whining about you whining about others whining. Dam, that's a waste of letters.

There's plenty of room on these boards to accommodate a variety of approaches to building/rebuilding the team.

I can't help but want the team to win even when it's in their best interest to lose. It's just tiresome hearing about how good they are every year when there's nothing on the line and how much they suck when games matter. At some point that should be unacceptable to us fans.

Anyhow, they played like the better team and were deserving of the win.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
One of the sad realities of the Canucks current plight is that Elias Pettersson has a chance to be one of the best players to ever don a Canucks jersey......but other than Hughes, they really haven't been able to surround him with anybody.

So next season probably looks much the same as this one.....but enjoy the brilliance of Pettersson while you still can.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Yes, clearly the only approach is to play the living crap out of your best players so you win more games in garbage time to lessen your ability to draft the players that will make said good players want to re-sign.

In the mean time, can we all put to bed this tired pejorative "whine"? Cause it seems like you're whining about people whining and now I'm whining about you whining about others whining. Dam, that's a waste of letters.

There's plenty of room on these boards to accommodate a variety of approaches to building/rebuilding the team.

I can't help but want the team to win even when it's in their best interest to lose. It's just tiresome hearing about how good they are every year when there's nothing on the line and how much they suck when games matter. At some point that should be unacceptable to us fans.

Anyhow, they played like the better team and were deserving of the win.
How do you know this is how Pettersson sees it? He's a competitive guy who doesn't give a crap about the draft lottery (players shouldn't care, they should care about their own performance and what they can control). If he sees the team dogging it for magic beans there's a good chance he's gonzo. Whereas if the team is making positive strides he may be inclined to stay and be part of the solution.

To be clear, I'm not saying the team HAS to win a bunch of garbage time games to achieve this. I'm talking more about the process on the ice. As far as the results, as I've said before just let the chips fall where they may. They played really well tonight and when you have an elite franchise player like Pettersson going hot, yeah, chances are the team is going to win that game. Nobody should lose sleep over it for God's sake. They will still lose plenty of games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ah, that time of year when the fanbase determines that all of the last 25 games are ‘must-lose games!’ and then freaks out when we win 8 of them.

St. Louis were shit but we played well and deserved the win, especially after a couple marginal reviews didn’t go in our favour.

- Pettersson, Miller, Kuzmenko all absolutely outstanding and could have had more points than they did.

- Boeser half the time doesn’t try and the other half can’t execute.

- Wolanin and Brisebois look like upgrades on the guys they’ve replaced.

- Raty can’t skate and did nothing offensively but did seem to bring more defensive structure to the 3rd line than Dries at C.

- Silovs looks solid. The 2-0 goal was a bit iffy but overall did the job and is so clearly better than Martin both watching AHL games and NHL games.

- seeing Tyler Tucker in the NHL and scoring a goal is depressing because he and Jett Woo were the two rookie defenders in Utica in the shared-year 20-21 (often playing as a defensive pair) and Woo was obviously the better of the two prospects at that point.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In the 'silver lining' department, you have to like the play of Silovs since his elevation from Abby.

He didn't get a ton of work in this game as the Canucks outshot the Blues by a 2-1 margin.....and the second goal was a bit of a stinker.

But he made a game-saver in OT, and just looks more comfortable between the pipe than either Delia or Martin. Also showed some slick puck-handling skills behind his own net.

Conventional wisdom is that he needs another full year in Abbotsford, and that still might be the case. But he's definitely inserted himself into the mix as being more than another 'prospect goalie' at this point. Appears he definitely has an NHL future.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
How do you know this is how Pettersson sees it? He's a competitive guy who doesn't give a crap about the draft lottery (players shouldn't care, they should care about their own performance and what they can control). If he sees the team dogging it for magic beans there's a good chance he's gonzo. Whereas if the team is making positive strides he may be inclined to stay and be part of the solution.

To be clear, I'm not saying the team HAS to win a bunch of garbage time games to achieve this. I'm talking more about the process on the ice. As far as the results, as I've said before just let the chips fall where they may. They played really well tonight and when you have an elite franchise player like Pettersson going hot, yeah, chances are the team is going to win that game. Nobody should lose sleep over it for God's sake. They will still lose plenty of games.
I have no idea how Pettersson sees it. Just stating that there's multiple ways of looking at it, and each has some level of rationality to it. There's a lot of positive ways to spin things, whichever route you want to support. As I said, and I'm sure I speak for a lot of other posters, the overuse of calling posters whiners because they don't subscribe to one's own path of how to improve the team is irritating. You are by no means the only person using that term, so I'm not really trying to single you out. I've probably done it myself. It's still lazy and unproductive for furthering conversations.

I don't hold my opinions in particularly high regard because I'm not as informed as I could be about certain nuances of the game, but can at least recognize there's a some pretty valid points being made from a lot of different perspectives.

That is all.

Except really I do think I'm super right on with my hot takes.

Brock Boeser

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Team played well.

Even when we were down 2-0 after the 2nd period, canucks were outplaying the blues.

We all want a higher pick, but we also want to see the core pieces do well.

Time and time again, I'm reminded that you can build around Petey, Hughes and the more you watch Kuzmenko you feel like his game is sustainable for the long haul. He's not only showing skill but a knack for scoring clutch goals. And he's scoring in many different way, tips, snipes, tap in near the net.

Miller is really playing well under Tocchet. Question is will he revert back to how he played earlier in the year, and we all know about his mercurial personality. To me the decision to keep or trade him before NTC is fascinating to monitor. I think if management believes he can be anything close to the level he's playing now for the next 3-4 years -they keep him.

Need to hit a high end RHD and this team turns around quicker than most think.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Team played well.

Even when we were down 2-0 after the 2nd period, canucks were outplaying the blues.

We all want a higher pick, but we also want to see the core pieces do well.

Time and time again, I'm reminded that you can build around Petey, Hughes and the more you watch Kuzmenko you feel like his game is sustainable for the long haul. He's not only showing skill but a knack for scoring clutch goals. And he's scoring in many different way, tips, snipes, tap in near the net.

Miller is really playing well under Tocchet. Question is will he revert back to how he played earlier in the year, and we all know about his mercurial personality. To me the decision to keep or trade him before NTC is fascinating to monitor. I think if management believes he can be anything close to the level he's playing now for the next 3-4 years -they keep him.

Need to hit a high end RHD and this team turns around quicker than most think.
If that is what they are mainly focused on, that’s the wrong lens to evaluate through imo.

Their primary thought needs to be about whether or not Miller fits their timeline to win. If you cannot turn things around relatively
immediately, you will have a moody player with full control of his future.

If they are adding like six impact players within the next 18 months, I think it’s an understandable decision. But the avenue needs to be very clear. I don’t see how they do it.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Huge character building game for the boys. Ultimately, I think winning like we did will go further in building a winning team than losing and getting slightly better odds at picking Bedard. We’ve got some great pieces to build with.
Of the players we iced against Blues, hardly any will be on the team when will contend for something meaningful.

Reactions: Gurn

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Until you are at the very end of the season teams are going to play the best players and manage the game to win. The exceptions are sitting guys likely to be traded to protect the asset, trying to showcase a guy and then shutting down other players for surgery. Thinking a tanking team with healthy star players isn’t going to play the crap out of them if needed to get two points with 25 games left…well let’s just say it’s not realistic to think that will happen.

You want to lose a room? Only send a healthy Pettersson out for 16 minutes a game. The players want to win the game. Blues did the same thing with Faulk at 26+ minutes, Buchnevic at over 26 minutes as a forward. The Yotes have been tanking all year and playing Chychrun 25 minutes a night, Keller well over 20 etc.

The only time to get upset about players elevated ice time right now is if someone is obviously playing hurt and they aren’t shutting them down. That doesn’t seem to be the case.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Playing Hughes 30 minutes at this point is stupid. I don't care what anyone says.

You have your belief. I have mine and that belief when you are chasing a game you are going to play your best players more. That has been what is happening the last two games along with the blueline as a whole being shorthanded. He should be playing 25ish minutes a night on average like the other top D-men in the league no matter what if he's not hurt (he's not). To get to that 25 minutes you are going to have nights of 30 and nights of 22 (Flyers game).

This season he's averaging 24:59, played 28+ minutes 6 times (4 under Bruce, 2 under Rick) and of those 6 30+ minutes 4 times (2 under Bruce, 2 under Rick). Last year he played 28+ minutes 10 times.

Last edited:

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
In the 'silver lining' department, you have to like the play of Silovs since his elevation from Abby.

He didn't get a ton of work in this game as the Canucks outshot the Blues by a 2-1 margin.....and the second goal was a bit of a stinker.

But he made a game-saver in OT, and just looks more comfortable between the pipe than either Delia or Martin. Also showed some slick puck-handling skills behind his own net.

Conventional wisdom is that he needs another full year in Abbotsford, and that still might be the case. But he's definitely inserted himself into the mix as being more than another 'prospect goalie' at this point. Appears he definitely has an NHL future.
He has played well, but remember how good Martin was last year..... it's always hard to evaluate goalies who other teams haven't fully analyzed and gameplanned for. Unknown goalies tend to outperform somewhat often in this league, sustainability is always an issue.

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
You have your belief. I have mine and that belief when you are chasing a game you are going to play your best players more. That has been what is happening the last two games along with the blueline as a whole being shorthanded. He should be playing 25ish minutes a night on average like the other top D-men in the league no matter what if he's not hurt (he's not). To get to that 25 minutes you are going to have nights of 30 and nights of 22 (Flyers game).

This season he's averaging 24:59, played 28+ minutes 6 times (4 under Bruce, 2 under Rick) and of those 6 30+ minutes 4 times (2 under Bruce, 2 under Rick). Last year he played 28+ minutes 10 times.
What is the point of doing that when the games have no meaning?

Reactions: quat

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
What is the point of doing that when the games have no meaning?
Games have no meaning to you. Games have meaning to the players and coaching staff. They are not going to throw games. They are going to coach to get 2 points.

They shut players down who are hurt (not the case here), they sit them for trade reasons (not the case here) or they may showcase another player for trade for a bit (not the case here). They do not for any period of time cut the ice time of their best players. Even the teams that were set up to go for a high draft pick (tank) play their best players and give them a lot of ice.

Reactions: Play

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
This season is now an extended NHL development camp, it would be extremely alarming if Canucks players aren't showing any progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad