Post-Game Talk: [GM58] Canucks defeat Blues | 2-3 (OT) | Miller, Kuzmenko, & Pettersson

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
Games have no meaning to you. Games have meaning to the players and coaching staff. They are not going to throw games. They are going to coach to get 2 points.

They shut players down who are hurt (not the case here), they sit them for trade reasons (not the case here) or they may showcase another player for trade for a bit (not the case here). They do not for any period of time cut the ice time of their best players. Even the teams that were set up to go for a high draft pick (tank) play their best players and give them a lot of ice.
Its has the same level of importance as preseason. I wouldnt want the best players playing 25-30 mins in preseason

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
You have your belief. I have mine and that belief when you are chasing a game you are going to play your best players more. That has been what is happening the last two games along with the blueline as a whole being shorthanded. He should be playing 25ish minutes a night on average like the other top D-men in the league no matter what if he's not hurt (he's not). To get to that 25 minutes you are going to have nights of 30 and nights of 22 (Flyers game).

This season he's averaging 24:59, played 28+ minutes 6 times (4 under Bruce, 2 under Rick) and of those 6 30+ minutes 4 times (2 under Bruce, 2 under Rick). Last year he played 28+ minutes 10 times.

I think this is silly, but more power to you. A) I don't think Hughes should necessarily be playing 25+ minutes anyways; B) Assuming he's going to do that, it should be when he's surrounded by a much better-supporting cast in games that actually matter.

To assume getting steamed every game and trying to cover up for playing with a bunch of bottom-pairing plugs is going to have some net positive impact on his long-term game or durability is nuts, in my opinion. You're achieving nothing except getting the guy's ass kicked regularly.

If you continue trotting him out like this with a straight-up terrible defensive team, you're just expediting his way to injury for no good reason.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hoglander was more deserving of the call up. This ain't Podz season.
It has been a learning experience for Pod this season...Having said that, I liked his game last night..He was shuffled around a bit, but was effective on EP's line..creating chaos in front of the net, giving his line mates a bit more time and space to maneuver.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This is all my fault, my gradual interest in the game destroyed the tank: I turned the game on at the start of the 3rd but wasnt really watching. Turned the sound on in the last three minutes while still not really watching, and then actually watched the last two minutes of OT

Im so sorry :boredom:

Reactions: Grantham

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
This is all my fault, my gradual interest in the game destroyed the tank: I turned the game on at the start of the 3rd but wasnt really watching. Turned the sound on in the last three minutes while still not really watching, and then actually watched the last two minutes of OT

Im so sorry :boredom:
You're a monster

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

I think the Canucks broke the Blues.

i didn't watch the game, only highlights, so i don't have an opinion on if they looked like they cared or not

but that team is pulling the chute and traded away their captain and last year's top scorer, i mean with that message from management, when they still were within plausible striking distance of the eighth seed, why wouldn't the players let up?

otoh, would have loved to have seen this comment from travis at some point. bruce was getting close to blurting it out at times, imo.

and let's reminisce about the last time we broke the blues

and also, the greatest canucks goal since the old core left —

Reactions: racerjoe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kinda' surprised that Berube ripped his team.....they were generally lousy, getting outshot and out-chanced by the Canucks, but this was a game firmly in 'garbage time' of the schedule.

Canucks were using a 21-year old rookie between the pipes and giving regular reps to Raty. And the Blues have traded away key players with likely to come before the TDL. Their management has run up the white flag.

Makes me think the Blues might be going for sweeping changes--including possibly the coaching staff, this off-season. So if they continue to crater down the stretch, it wouldn't do much for his job security.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Kinda' surprised that Berube ripped his team.....they were generally lousy, getting outshot and out-chanced by the Canucks, but this was a game firmly in 'garbage time' of the schedule.

Canucks were using a 21-year old rookie between the pipes and giving regular reps to Raty. And the Blues have traded away key players with likely to come before the TDL. Their management has run up the white flag.

Makes me think the Blues might be going for sweeping changes--including possibly the coaching staff, this off-season. So if they continue to crater down the stretch, it wouldn't do much for his job security.
Berube is no nonsense old school coach..that building looked pretty full to me last night, and he wont stand for a half assed effort ..Even when you're out of the playoffs with a depleted lineup.

The Blues got off to a dreadful start in 2018-19, (by December were the worst team in the NHL), Berube publicly ripped the team then..They won the SC that season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad