Post-Game Talk: [GM56] Canucks defeat Flyers | 6-2 | Beauvillier(2), Kuzmenko, Di Giuseppe, Pettersson(2)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Springsteen was great. Good to see a win.

Great to see Pettersson showing once again that he’s a special player.

Good to see Silovs get the W and likely earn the next start.

New Beau up to 4 goals and 6 points in 7 games. His goals looking a lot like ones the old Bo scored. Old Bo pointless in last 3 games with 4 points in 7. I know I know it means nothing at this stage but interesting nonetheless.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Generally a pretty solid performance.

- happy for Silovs to get his first win. Thought he looked pretty nervous and shaky in the first period and then settled down and was very solid for the last 40 minutes. Thought it was a good move by Tocchet to throw him right back in there after his first start didn't go that well.

- thought Wolanin was very good and that replacing OEL with him looked like an upgrade, for this game at least. Made a great play in the neutral zone to create the 1-0 goal, generally moved the puck well and made good decisions, and didn't get burned defensively. Pairing with Schenn worked very well, finished +3 on the night.

- Schenn also with an excellent game - 3 points, +5 has to be the best game statistically in his entire career you'd think. But is he even getting traded now with his wife's situaiton?

- Tyler Myers is a weird player for a lot of reasons but one of the weirdest things about him is how inconsistent his skating is. A couple games ago I was commenting on how I hoped there were scouts in the building because he was skating so well but it was the exact opposite last night. Didn't get burned but everything looked like a struggle, wasn't moving well, movements were lurch-y, really struggled against the forecheck and couldn't move the puck at all.

- Stillman continues to look like a solid depth defender and a totally different player than the one we saw in October-November.

- Pettersson finished with 5 points, but of all the 5-point games you'll ever see that one has to be the softest. 2 ENG, 2 Boeser-esque secondary assists, and a deflected point shot. He played well but that was one of those nights that pay you back for the stretches when nothing seems to go in.

- Kuzmenko back on the top line and playing well. Watching how Tocchet was handling Kuzmenko a week ago made me nervous as hell but it seems like it was a bit of a tempest in a teapot.

- the team is doing literally everything possible to put Beauvillier in a position to succeed and rebuild some value, but he's doing the right things to take advantage of the opportunity. I highly doubt he'll be with Pettersson and on PP1 long-term but he's skating well and working hard and showing good hands around the net.

- the team should get on signing Di Giuseppe to an extension. He just looks like an NHL player. Just makes smart plays all the time, put lots of pucks toward net, is an upgrade on Lazar and Studnicka. Didn't look out of place at all on the 2nd line with Miller tonight and that line had a solid night.

- top 2 lines were very good and bottom 2 lines were pretty poor. I didn't think anyone in the bottom-6 had a good night and those lines were mostly playing in the wrong end of the rink.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
No offense, I watched this game and happy for Elias.But to me ,it was like watching the Abbotsford Canucks play the Phantoms..It did not do anything for me.Until this team off loads the crap they still have in this lineup,,it still the same shit.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Nice ep got 5 pts still cant understand how refs did not call the late hit after his goal ?
Buttmans stripes either inept or willfully stupid .

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Chose a fun game to go and watch with my brother.

EP could have easily had a goal or two more.

Did not notice Miller much at center. So progress. Against teams that dont have scoring depth you can hide him.

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hearing that Siliovs will most likely travel with the team on the upcoming road trip STL/NAS with Demko.

As Delia and Martin tumble down the goalie depth chart.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Big congrats to Silovs who IMHO has played quite well in his two starts but he will only be as good as his defence which is, on most nights, appalling. Even tonight against a bad team we were constantly losing puck battles and giving the puck away in our own zone way too much. A plethora of unforced icings. Periods of time where a weak boards play resulted in extended offensive zone time for the Flyers; at one point we lost the puck in the corner and all five Flyers skaters got a touch on the puck, disgraceful. Good to see our offensive stars shine, imagine adding Bedard to that group. Also imagine the rubbish that would be printed out there if Wayne Simmonds ate a banana at the bench...

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Man. After listening to EP40 needing the summer to “think if he would want the C” etc and saying he’s a quiet guy … basically saying no. I really really think he’s the f*** outta here asap.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Neat article about yesterday's game by Patrick Johnston.

It's worth the quick read but, as a Kuzmenko stan, this stood out.

A week after getting benched on the road trip, Kuzmenko has moved back into a more familiar spot with Pettersson and Tocchet praised the Russian’s work ethic and his engagement with assistant coach Sergei Gonchar.

“Sergei has been working with him and we’ve been working with him. He’s, chipping away at his game. I thought Kuzey was, you know, he’s playing it and he wants to learn and that’s what I like about him. He’s not pouting or nothing. And he’s getting rewarded,” Tocchet said.

He also praised what he believed was improved “game management” for Kuzmenko.

“He’s coming back in his own end. He’s learning the system. All fairness to him, he was playing a little different. He’s just more conscientious without the puck,” Tocchet explained. “Every day he’s with Sergei. He’s actually seeking him out. I love guys like that. You know, the self starters. We don’t have to find him. He’s finding Sergei. So that’s the players I like on the team and he’s he’s buying into that.”

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Neat article about yesterday's game by Patrick Johnston.

It's worth the quick read but, as a Kuzmenko stan, this stood out.

A week after getting benched on the road trip, Kuzmenko has moved back into a more familiar spot with Pettersson and Tocchet praised the Russian’s work ethic and his engagement with assistant coach Sergei Gonchar.

“Sergei has been working with him and we’ve been working with him. He’s, chipping away at his game. I thought Kuzey was, you know, he’s playing it and he wants to learn and that’s what I like about him. He’s not pouting or nothing. And he’s getting rewarded,” Tocchet said.

He also praised what he believed was improved “game management” for Kuzmenko.

“He’s coming back in his own end. He’s learning the system. All fairness to him, he was playing a little different. He’s just more conscientious without the puck,” Tocchet explained. “Every day he’s with Sergei. He’s actually seeking him out. I love guys like that. You know, the self starters. We don’t have to find him. He’s finding Sergei. So that’s the players I like on the team and he’s he’s buying into that.”

Loved the Gonchar signing.

So glad that him working remotely wasn't actually the permanent plan.

He will help Hughes level up these next two years.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Loved the Gonchar signing.

So glad that him working remotely wasn't actually the permanent plan.

He will help Hughes level up these next two years.
He already has imo. He’s finally shooting the puck instead of just passing it off or tossing a muffin towards the net.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I’m aware of this incident. If you mean rando pieces of shit on social media doing their thing, my mistake. “Printed out there” sounds like reporters with actual names and reputations to uphold.

Reactions: Zippgunn

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Essentially what he sees is a Canuck team that really likes to go across the ice in the neutral zone and blue lines (either puck carrying or passing) instead of more direct and safer lines. He’s not saying all east-west plays are bad but they tend to look east-west first, force plays and that leads to turnovers (east west play is what the opposition wants you to do) and they get caught on the counter. Over and over and over again.

I wonder how many out of town Play by Play guys say "Nanaimo to Coquitlam" (our end of the rink to the other) if they realize that Nanaimo is West and Coquitlam is East of the arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad